Best Prepaid SIM Card for Repeated Thailand Visitors?

suk53

Hi,

I am coming to Thailand approximately once or twice per year... What would be great to have is a prepaid SIM card that I can pop in and the number remains as in previous years (I would like to keep the number so I do not need to give all my Thai contacts a new number each time I visit + so it can remain associated with all the messengers apps around; having the same with Europe where I use a German SIM card; my main number is Australian)...

What are the best options for prepaid Thai SIM cards if looking for 1.) cheap data (phone calls are less important) + 2.) retaining number for a year or so at least?

I used to have a contract with True Move when living in Thailand, but I do not have that anymore.

My current AIS prepaid SIM does not work anymore, apparently it is completely disabled ("No Service") after being away for 11 month.

Thank you for your help!

Daniel

Given the recent changes in expirations, and shortage if numbers, most service providers have a 30/60 day maximum, non-cumulative validity based on usage.

So I'm not sure there is a solution to your situation save buying a new SIM each time on arrival.

You could leave the SIM with someone in Thailand to "manage" for you during your times outside the country. This might be as simple as making a call every 60 days. Or you could do this while roaming. Or you could top-up while roaming.

Service providers may have schemes which allow you to purchase validity: e.g. DTAC has the day-give-away plan, which charges 2 baht/30 days validity, but there are some prerequisites, like being a customer for 90 days.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html

You also have to balance validities vs. other requirements: coverage, quality, cost, customer service, et al.

Gone are the days of rolling, cumulative 365 day expiry, I'm afraid.

My AIS prepaid (1-2-Call) gives me 1 year validity every time I top it up, regardless of amount. Calls 1 thb/minute, SMS 1thb each, internet (gprs) 1 thb/minute.

I have had the same number for maybe 10 years. You can get the settings of your number fixed once when your SIM is registered. Basically you can set these yourself via service codes if you know them, but Telewiz will set them up also if you visit them. For registering the number you need bring your passport.

For internet I use a separate device, and normally just get a 1 month data package with a new SIM card, should I need 3G. Pretty often I find free WIFI, so I use that.

My DTAC sim has a one year validity (able to receive calls) from last top up,including the balance (credit doesn't expire until one year after load up).

I pay THB2 per minute, THB3 sms and one special DTAC 25 setang number.

As far as I know AIS and True dont have a one year sim card.

My AIS prepaid (1-2-Call) gives me 1 year validity every time I top it up, regardless of amount. Calls 1 thb/minute, SMS 1thb each, internet (gprs) 1 thb/minute.

I have had the same number for maybe 10 years.

I'm wondering if your experience related to you having had the same, pre-existing SIM for many years...

Because, I called AIS recently and asked the same question, about what was the longest validity prepaid SIM they had on offer. And their telephone CSR said it was a month or two depending on how much I topped up at any given time.

Her suggestion to me was to get one of their SIMs, go to 7-11, and have the clerk do like 6 consecutive 50 baht top ups to earn 6 months validity.

I dunno how the 7-11 clerks feel about doing that kind of thing. But regardless, I wasn't too excited about the prospect of having to do that.

Indeed, when I first came to Thailand in the early 2000s, DTAC had a top-up once and valid for a year pre-paid SIM... I haven't seen anything like that lately. But I sure wish I could find one.

I recently bought this True tourist InterSIM from 7/11 on the recommendation of a friend who said it does not expire when he returns to the UK for ? months. I only use it for cheap calls to the UK: 1 baht per minute to a landline. I do not use in for DATA but it seems to say free usage but Im not sure about time limits for this. U must top it up with minimum of 150baht.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/entry/2258?ln=en

I recently bought this True tourist InterSIM from 7/11 on the recommendation of a friend who said it does not expire when he returns to the UK for ? months. I only use it for cheap calls to the UK: 1 baht per minute to a landline. I do not use in for DATA but it seems to say free usage but Im not sure about time limits for this. U must top it up with minimum of 150baht.

Who told you that there was a minimum Topup amount of 150 baht??

Someone was pulling your leg. :)

The Tourist SIM is free, but they charge more for call that the normal InterSIM. 1.5 baht and compared to 1 baht for instance. Normal InterSIM is 49 baht.

They give the Tourist SIMs away at the airports.

Who told you that there was a minimum Topup amount of 150 baht??

Someone was pulling your leg. smile.png

The Tourist SIM is free, but they charge more for call that the normal InterSIM. 1.5 baht and compared to 1 baht for instance. Normal InterSIM is 49 baht.

They give the Tourist SIMs away at the airports.

If you check my link you will see they are all named 'Tourist' Intersim: Free or 49baht, or 299baht. It stated 150 baht and up for the top up on the Sim packaging when I bought it. But come to think of it that cannot be true as I only put 100 baht on it last time.

Re the InterSIM product from True, I believe there was a thread or posts here not long back indicating that the InterSIM service was being restricted to 2G/EDGE for data service, and wouldn't get access to True Move H's 3G network.

If all one's using it for is phone calls, then it might not matter. But for anyone wanting to use it to access the internet, it would matter a lot!

^ TrueMove H have a new assortment of InterSIMs, similar to those offered on the old TrueMove network.

Not sure what validities are though. On the old TrueMove InterSIM, any top-up, even as little as 10 baht, extended the validity out to 365 days. Suspect these new tourist SIMs have 30 days validity, maximum; a colleague visiting this week got the 299 baht one, and his validity seems to be 30 days maximum, based on usage - a completed call, or a top-up.

Not sure about the AIS/AWN and DTAC/Tri-NET Tourist SIMs?

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/touristsim.html Subscribers can accumulate a maximum of 90 days after topping up.

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/sim-Tourist.html validity until 180 days after service registration

Many of the new 2100 MHz SIMs (AWN/Tri-NET, Real Future) seem to have 30 - 60 day maximum non-cumulative validities, which extend based on usage - completed outgoing call - or a top-up.

Many of the older: One-2-Call/Happy/TrueMove SIMs had cumulative validities, whereby one could build-up to a 365 day validity. Some report keeping this feature when they port out/in to the new sub., while others have reported 30 ~ 90 max, non-cumulative validity. DTAC/Happy's "old" concession runs to 2018, while AIS/One-2-Call's runs to 2015.

There is a pending number shortage so I'd expect service providers to get a bit more rigorous re: validities.

The NBTC has been trying to enforce no expirations, which service providers have sort of implemented, albeit with a usage requirement during the 30 - 90 day term.

Maybe best to check with your service provider to see what might be available which meets your requirement(s)?

I had a chat with an English speaking rep at one of DTAC's service counters yesterday about extending the validity of their pre-paid SIM cards.

DTAC apparently has a scheme whereby existing SIM holders can extend the validity of their SIMs upon request to DTAC and by having a small fee deducted from their balance -- 2 baht for an extra month, 6 baht for an extra 3 months, or 12 baht for an extra 6 months.

But according to the CSR I spoke with, there's one catch: You have to have been a topped up prepaid user on that SIM card for at least 3 months initially, before you can use their extension process. But, after you've used the SIM for at least 3 months, then she said, you can do the extensions repeatedly without limit.

DTAC apparently has a scheme whereby existing SIM holders can extend the validity of their SIMs upon request to DTAC and by having a small fee deducted from their balance -- 2 baht for an extra month, 6 baht for an extra 3 months, or 12 baht for an extra 6 months.

Highlighted in post #2 above, it's called "Day-Give-Away": http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/freeday.html

Day Giveaway Service
Account expiring soon? Request an extension.
Running out of validity? Request an extension! Pay 2 baht for 30 days, 6 baht for 90 days, and 12 baht for 180 days more service.
Activate this service
Dial (follow the instructions)
Other ways to activate
Automated Service
Dial (follow the instructions)
Express Service
Dial → Number of days to extend 30/90/180 →
Website
Service rates
Rates for the Day Giveaway Service will be charged as follows: 2 baht/30 day request, 6 baht/90 day request, 12 baht/180 day request. All rates are VAT Inclusive. When service has been successfully activated, the user will receive a confirmation SMS from Happy.
It’s goood to know
1.Eligible users must have activated their SIM for at least 90 days continuously, or have a total usage balance of over 200 baht. In addition, the account must not be suspended, and must have at least 1 day before it expires when activating the service.
2.Remaining credit may not be less than 10 baht after applying for this service.
3.Account validity may not exceed 365 days after a successful transaction.
4.If a user has already borrowed credit from the Emergency Refill Service, the user must settle the balance prior to apply for Day Giveaway Service.
5.The company reserves the right to amend or alter these terms and conditions as well as service fees. In addition, the customer is not allowed to use the service for any illegal acts or to violate customer service contract. The company reserves the right to cancel or suspend this service and launch legal proceedings as is deemed appropriate.
6.By subscribing for this package, it means you give your consent for operator to transfer data, including personal information and customer profile to new network "TriNet" under dtac TriNet Co., Ltd.
7.Services provided by dtac TriNet Co., Ltd., Registration No: 0105549034548 Chamchuree Square No.319 Floors 22-41 Phayathai Road Pathumwan Bangkok 10330.

I got a free True sim at the airport and put it in My nexus 4 phone, put 200 baht on it at 7-11 only to see it was good for a month or 2 and not the year like my other True sim.......

not a happy camper on that one and next trip might use dtac or someone else if you get a year......

this was my 2nd phone, my old True sim that I have used for 5 years or more still gets the year and that is the phone I use daily

• 1 year later...

I've had a DTAC Happy sim for a few years now, sometimes in Thailand for up to a few months at a time actively using it, but then back in the states and not using it at all. Top-ups continue to keep the validity extended out to a year, and it's of course been registered. I've been using this strictly for voice/SMS - no data plan or internet up until now. Does anyone know if I can just add a dataplan to this sim? I don't really want want to lose my number OR the ability to keep extending the validity as I have been (so retaining my number between trips).

I've had a DTAC Happy sim for a few years now, sometimes in Thailand for up to a few months at a time actively using it, but then back in the states and not using it at all. Top-ups continue to keep the validity extended out to a year, and it's of course been registered. I've been using this strictly for voice/SMS - no data plan or internet up until now. Does anyone know if I can just add a dataplan to this sim? I don't really want want to lose my number OR the ability to keep extending the validity as I have been (so retaining my number between trips).

If the SIM needs updating, they will do it for free at any DTAC service centre. Number remains the same.