Welcome To New Members - 2557/2014

Tywais

Hi All,

I have just registered but have been using Thai Visa for all my news since arriving in country on retirement 2 years ago. I have settled in Kanchanaburi with my Thai wife but not before encountering a few problems to do with purchase of land and building a house. The last thing I needed was to be done in by an English CON-MAN who ripped me off and as I am a Vietnam veteran, passed himself off as a veteran of 4 conflicts stating that he would look after a fellow veteran. He wore 4 medals to an ANZAC Day service here in Kanchanaburi and after some checking up I have found out that he is not a veteran of any conflict, just a liar and a fraud.

I would like to know if anyone can confirm approx. how much does it cost to transfer at the Land Office a Nor Sor 3 Gor (Blue Book) for a block of land, from one Thai's name to another as this guy has charged me 70,000thb (not including tax) for the privilege, I am not the only one as others have been charged anywhere between 20,000 and 100,000thb for his wife to sign over the land to another farung's Thai wife. I was new to Thailand and did not know land prices etc. and was taken in by his smooth talking and believed what he said as the truth.

start your own thread mate, im sure youll get the answers you need

• 2 weeks later...

Living here now (Kok Chan, Lamphun Province) with my Thai wife, on a retirement visa, previously from Aus. Have lurked quite a bit and felt the time has come to join and maybe contribute sometimes. I do love living here and find it preferable to theexpensive Nanny state that Australia has become. Mind you, some of the things here in the LOS are perplexing but that is what makes life interesting, that and reading about them on TV. I have built (or have had built) for my wife a shop and I think I can get a book out of that experience. Still, all done now and my equanimity is intact; also, happy wife happy life applies here as well as any where else. Look forward to meeting everyone else around the forums.(PS I think I am the only Falang in the village so if anyone visits this area or lives here feel free to drop in, we are the ones in the beautiful shop.)

Welcome to the Thick of Thai Politics (unfortunately its a quick lesson in Thai Logicistics...)

King Arthur: I am your king.

Woman: Well I didn't vote for you.

King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.

Woman: Well how'd you become king then?

[Angelic music plays... ]

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite
held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence
that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.

Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

HAPPY Songkran - to ALL

Hello... I am new to the forum and anxious to get a few things clarified regarding the requirements for Teaching in the Los. I have been researching this for weeks but there is so much conflicting information that I felt joining the forum would give me some insight on this complicated issue of Teaching legally in Thailand. From what I have been able to find out on the subject the qualifications seem to be as follows.

1.) A BA Degree in any subject

2.) NES or equivalent

3.) TCT tests or 1 year post BA English/teaching course

4.) Thai culture course

5.) WP and TP

I understand these rules may be fluid and changing but am I close to being correct on these requirements?

It is also my understanding that a TEFL or TESOL or CELTA is not a requirement by law but would be very help full for new Teachers. My main area of curiosity is the Thongsook BA Tesol Degree. Hopefully there are Representatives from the School or current Students taking the course that can clear a few things up for me. I am very interested in taking the program and earning a Bachelors Degree if it will put me on the path to becoming qualified and legal with the proper visa, work permit and Teachers license. I have read everything on the Schools website including the FAQ and I have searched other forums for answers but I still have a few questions regarding this program.

1.) Will the 1 year ED Visa they claim to provide the Students enable them to work in Thailand during the School year as Teachers? The website states that you could be Teaching while Learning and making 30k to 35k per month while studying for the BA Tesol, and that the number of Students finding Jobs within 1 month of signing up for the Course has been 100 per cent.

2.) Can the 1 year ED Visa be renewed each year for the 3 or 4 years required to finish the Course? What is the cost to renew each year?

3.) Will the BA Tesol Degree fulfill the requirements to get a Work Visa, Work permit and Teachers License? If not what other steps will be required after completing the Degree?

4.) Has anyone verified if the BA TESOL Degree would be accepted in the USA for the Student who chooses to pursue a post graduate Degree?

I hope the answers to these questions are positive and will allow the Students taking the BA program at Thongsook the chance to become a Licensed Teachers in Thailand with the proper Visa and work permit. If it does I will be signing up for it.Thanks for the help

Hello... I am new to the forum and anxious to get a few things clarified regarding the requirements for Teaching in the Los. I have been researching this for weeks but there is so much conflicting information that I felt joining the forum would give me some insight on this complicated issue of Teaching legally in Thailand. From what I have been able to find out on the subject the qualifications seem to be as follows.

Hi, I just finished a TEFL course with 18 students. 2 had a BA Ed and 4 others had various other BA's, the rest had none;all who wanted to are now working as teachers regardless of degree., The school had more vacancies to fill than graduates from the class. According to the course cocordinator the process is as follows. Non Imm B visa - work permit- if a government school either a teachers licence or a waiver of requirement for teacher licence. Waiver is valid for 2 years and can be renewed once. This gives 4 years before being required to take the teachers licence exam; which he says is dificult with a high failure rate. Non government schools do not require the teachers licence. International schools only take teachers (except in the rarest of circumstances).who have a BA Ed.

Hope this is of some hlp.

The course coordinator who explaind all this is an industry professional with 18 years experience in LOS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I felt I should introduce myself after leaving a couple of posts and also using the forum for the last few weeks. It's a great forum so well done to the moderators and administrators.

So far I have found out lots of useful information... and also had many laughs at the responses and arguments between forum members! It seems some members just want to become insulted or try to insult others?! But for every bad member, there are many more decent, friendly and helpful people out there smile.png

I am currently staying in Bangkok at an apartment in Sukumvit Soi 24 but only until 24th April, at which point I am planning to travel to Sri Lanka to see friends before returning to do a TEFL course. I wish to stay/live in Thailand and I particularly love Bangkok.

I have a couple of Thai friends in Bangkok but that's all, so it would be great to meet or talk with other ThaiVisa members. I'm always up for a drink and a chat!

Forgot to say... my name is Robin

Edited by djdobs

I just joined the forum. I am a retired 60 year old man. I have never been to Thailand. I just decided to put it on my bucket list. LOL. I am both excited and terrified. I have 1 million questions and am currently reading whatever I can get my hands on now. I would like to go there as soon as possible before I talk myself out of it. Is it too hot and humid for me to visit in May of this year ? Is it raining everyday during that time ? I currently live in S/W Florida and can tolerate some heat and humidity. Or should I be patient and wait for September or October ? I would greatly appreciate some sound advice from knowledgeable seasoned veterans such as yourself. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hello Everyone,

Nice to meet everybody. I have been living in Thailand for the past 23 years. Came here first in 1970 with the USAF at U-Tapao AB. Married to a Thai for 43 years. However, wife has been disabled for the last 11 years from a bad stroke and confined to a hospital bed at home. Like is short...live it the best you can. God bless everyone in Thai Visa.

John

Sattahip,Chonburi

Edited by johnh869
  • Like 2

Hello Everyone,

Nice to meet everybody. I have been living in Thailand for the past 23 years. Came here first in 1970 with the USAF at U-Tapao AB. Married to a Thai for 43 years. However, wife has been disabled for the last 11 years from a bad stroke and confined to a hospital bed at home. Like is short...live it the best you can. God bless everyone in Thai Visa.

John

Sattahip,Chonburi

Welcome John. I was stationed at Utapao from 1968-1969 so looks like we just missed each other. smile.png Been here now since '93. Sorry to hear about your wife.

Good day to everyone , just joined the site . Using my I pad and can't find a place to start a topic and ask a question . I can reply (as you can see) but not start a topic , any help would be great-full

Good day to everyone , just joined the site . Using my I pad and can't find a place to start a topic and ask a question . I can reply (as you can see) but not start a topic , any help would be great-full

Hi, Just click the link back to general topic underneath this and in the top right corner is the start new topic button. Click that and away you go. (each topic is set up the same if you want to start a thread in another forum)

• Like 1

Hi everyone, Aussie bloke here. Fantastic forum, great to meet you all. Enjoy the banter here and love Thailand - the lifestyle, food and natural beauty. Hope to travel more, especially cycling tours. Love sport and getting out and about. Looking at Thailand as a possible retirement option, but not ruling out Indonesia or Malaysia. I'm interested in keeping an eye on the pros and cons of each. Hopefully can learn tips from you guys about living well in SE Asia.

Hi, Niklas here from Gothenburg, Sweden. I have never visit thailand, but I will! Soon, I hope. Find this forum today and find it pretty interesting. And, yes I know my english suck, but at least I try to write so correctly I can..! Lol!

Have a nice day, everyone! :)))

Hello, Folks. Just stumbled upon this introduction thread. Am a transplant from USA to LOS since 2010. Married with one child and living in BKK. Have little interest in either maligning the Thai or contributing to the farang stereotype. Just trying to get along in what will likely be my last home. Am open minded and have some unique perspectives that may be of use to some of you. I am more interested in being merciful than being right or saving face. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Songlaw

• Like 1

Hello, everyone. I like to spend my holiday in Thailand this summer. Ca you tell me where should I stay?

not typing away on a keyboard i hope ,, what you look for , relax good beach massage drinks with an umbrella in it ,steer away from phuket pattaya samui

Good place to look for stuff.

Rang Hill Dental Clinic, Phuket ! Don't go there !

I had tooth ache and went there.

They wanted me to do a roocanal, 15 000 Bt plus a crown 25 000 Bt.

I went to another dentist in Chalong, she said: inflammation the gum, take these pills five days.

And now I'm OK !!!

Nocke Chiangmai

Phuket town

084 304 8648

For Rupertsilva10 in Phuket, there are many places to stay, in Phuket Town, Kata or Karan Beach, Patong Beach, and other

nice places. The swimming is great as it on the calm side of Thailand most of the time.

I stay at Hua Hin area as well and have enjoyed my visits there. The beaches are nice for sun bathing and tanning, but the beach is shallow and waves are present most of the time as it on the windward side. Over at Baan Saen and Pattaya Jomtien

and along that area the chance to swim is a bit better but many beaches are a bit more polluted. Out from Pattaya there is

an island Kho Laan, ( I think) that has good swimming etc. I have spent many weeks in Bangkok BKK as my Thai family live there. Lots of things to see and visit in BKK as there are many, many, temples and museums around the city.

If you want to see the mountain areas, head north toward Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Mae Hong son, or along the Thailand's west border areas, as there is a lot of good scenery for you. I am new to this forum, and hope to be able to get lots of News, stories, advice etc. from it, but I have been going to Thailand since the 1980s. Some day I hope to spend more of my Winters there, likely in Hua Hin or somewhere in Phuket.

• Like 1

Hi Men!

I have been in Thailand before, but no more than 5 Klics from the DMZ around the airport, about two decades ago, I reckon.

Thailand has changed since I recall it.

I am going to like it here, now that I have some money for a change. I will just head out and sop up some of the atmosphere and suds at the local watering holes I guess.

I am here alone, mostly.

I just like to look at the things walking by, or stationery sometimes.

I have read that little book Suzie Wong, last year.

So, I thought I would just come over and see what it is all about, while it lasts, and it still works.

I went to Hong Kong before this once.

And where I am now there are no big ships like in the harbor, just those pickup trucks with people sitting in back.

I know I am going to like it here.

I have 364 more days to go.

And I am going to savor every moment of the days.

Nice to be here.

Real nice,

If you know what I mean, hey, hey!

Bye for now.

Hi Men!

I have been in Thailand before, but no more than 5 Klics from the DMZ around the airport, about two decades ago, I reckon.

Thailand has changed since I recall it.

I am going to like it here, now that I have some money for a change. I will just head out and sop up some of the atmosphere and suds at the local watering holes I guess.

I am here alone, mostly.

I just like to look at the things walking by, or stationery sometimes.

I have read that little book Suzie Wong, last year.

So, I thought I would just come over and see what it is all about, while it lasts, and it still works.

I went to Hong Kong before this once.

And where I am now there are no big ships like in the harbor, just those pickup trucks with people sitting in back.

I know I am going to like it here.

I have 364 more days to go.

And I am going to savor every moment of the days.

Nice to be here.

Real nice,

If you know what I mean, hey, hey!

Bye for now.

Well have loads of fun ,but be carefull outthere