History video: Yingluck Shinawatra Interview from Dec 2011

Lite Beer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, her English isn't perfect. There is something to admire in the fact that she has the guts to give interviews in English. How does Obama do in Chinese or Cameron in German? Suthep, of course, will NOT give any interviews in English. While he seeks out foreign media, he insists on using an interpreter. That doesn';t make his ideas any less nutty

Sook sook sook (if you are able to understand scots)....

or try this to help you passifier.gif

Such a pity you defile Father Jack with your incessantly blinkered posts........

Edited by Rob8891

So, her English isn't perfect. There is something to admire in the fact that she has the guts to give interviews in English. How does Obama do in Chinese or Cameron in German? Suthep, of course, will NOT give any interviews in English. While he seeks out foreign media, he insists on using an interpreter. That doesn';t make his ideas any less nutty

Additionally, I bet she speaks far better English than the wives and partners of 80% of the posters on here who are so fast to vilify her.

Thank God that my lady is in the other 20%. Not only that, but that she can also think a topic through and enunciate it even if not 100% fluent in English.

(and I do not have to tell her what to say)

She did her degree in English, (US uni) AFAIK.

Additionally, I bet she speaks far better English than the wives and partners of 80% of the posters on here who are so fast to vilify her.

And yet another apples and zucchini comparison.

Are you three really that daft to not understand the context that she supposedly obtained a Masters degree utilizing the English language.

One might wonder if Yingluck's minimal understanding of English is still better than yours.

Edited by Maha Sarakham Marty
  • Like 2

Many of the replies to the OP fail to give credit to Yingluck, who speaks much better English than her elder brother. Well done Ms Shinawatra.

It was said that Bjelke Petersen did not need a scrambler on his phone - just an unscrambler at the other end.

How about transcribing what she said into understandable, sport?

Could someone - preferably the OP but anyone will do - please explain to me the point of putting this old video on the News forum today?

"Please be informed that ThaiVisa is an apolitical discussion forum, meaning that we take an unbiased position in regard to political matters in Thailand"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

coffee1.gif

Irrelevant.

she's incompetent as a politician, everybody knows that, period !

so being still attractive for her age, why she just doesnt apply for a job as go-go dancer in Pattaya ?

Bet it will be a colourfull view in Walking Street every night... especially much Red will be all over the place....

There she can be a SUPERSTAR !

wooow and all those Chinese squadrons walking around there with their RED flags.... must be nice attraction for all the others.... coffee1.gif

Why doesn't Suthep give interviews in English? After all he has an M.A. in Political Sciences, Middle Tennesse State University, USA. At least Yingluck tries her best to give English interviews. According to my wife her Thai is coherent, cultered and educated. And she doesn't rant and rave.

As for dodging the questions, what politician, including Obama, doesn't?

Edited by moradave
  • Like 1

she's incompetent as a politician, everybody knows that, period !

so being still attractive for her age, why she just doesnt apply for a job as go-go dancer in Pattaya ?

Bet it will be a colourfull view in Walking Street every night... especially much Red will be all over the place....

There she can be a SUPERSTAR !

wooow and all those Chinese squadrons walking around there with their RED flags.... must be nice attraction for all the others.... coffee1.gif

I think that the above is very insulting to a cultered, dignified, elected world leader. HOOD Robin, please apologize.

There is far more coherence in the Muppet's, Perhaps a Masters Degree from a Kindergarden

Ms YINGLUCK, you have been weighed ,you have been measured and you have been found wanting. The people have judged you , just look around.

Why doesn't Suthep give interviews in English? After all he has an M.A. in Political Sciences, Middle Tennesse State University, USA. At least Yingluck tries her best to give English interviews. According to my wife her Thai is coherent, cultered and educated. And she doesn't rant and rave.

What has Suthep got to do with it? Stating that Yingluck's English is appalling is not stating that Suthep's English is fantastic. If his English is as bad as Yingluck's, and if he also mysteriously managed the feat of completing higher education in English, in spite of not being able to string together half a dozen intelligible sentences, well then he looks as stupid as she does.

As for dodging questions, as I said before, first she would need to understand them in order to know what to dodge. It's clear that a lot of the time she doesn't.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

As PM, she represents the country and to 'try' her best to give English interviews but end up looking like some idiot, she embarrasses the whole country. Would be better not to 'try' but to use an interpreter instead.

I bet that the wives and partners of 80% of the posters on here, who are so fast to vilify her, don't have a masters from an English-speaking university, and absolutely none of them pretend to have the qualifications to be PM of Thailand.

your taking piss aren't you masters cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif she can't string 2 words of english together properly

This forum becomes increasingly embarassing with the ignorant, blinkered, racist comments. Also misinformation: at least 3 posters have suggested that PM Yingluck studied English at a US university. She did not. She studied administration. I don't know how well she did. [reference to deleted bad language removed]

I found her interview perfectly understandable and her English nearly on a par with the interviewer. But actually very few Thais speak perfect English, unless they have been brought up or schooled in UK/USA/Australasia etc. (e.g. Abhisit, Rama VI, and a few others). Probably most of the posters on TV have not spent much time speaking with foreigners. If they did they would realise that it is not the quality of the English that matters, it's the quality of the speaker.

Yingluck's points about management and logic make sense. The plans for a fight against drugs, poverty also make sense. Her actual political accomplishments however have been disappointing. It's such a shame that there is no effective opposition in this country. The first car scheme and the rice pledging scheme should be reformed or abandoned: where are you now when we need you Mr Abhisit?

Edited by george
reference to deleted bad language removed

This forum becomes increasingly embarassing with the ignorant, blinkered, racist comments. Also misinformation: at least 3 posters have suggested that PM Yingluck studied English at a US university. She did not. She studied administration.

Who has said she studied English? What's been stated, at least by myself, is that she studied a Master's degree in English. Not the same as saying she studied an English Master's degree.

Anyway, what she majored in is a little academic, because all Master's degrees require advanced language skills, no matter what the subject.

• Like 1

Suthep hates foreigners, as he itself said in 2011. That's why.

Find me the exact quote where he says he 'hates' foreigners. Seriously post it here where he said himself he 'hates' foreigners.

• Like 1

Find me the exact quote where he says he 'hates' foreigners. Seriously post it here where he said himself he 'hates' foreigners.

Nation Multimedia - 2011/03/24:

Suthep: "I don't respect 'farangs'. We do not have to surrender to them"

BANGKOK, March 24, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand on Thursday dismissed suggestions that foreign observers were needed to monitor its upcoming election, with the deputy prime minister saying he does "not respect" Westerners.

Another:

https://twitter.com/Aim_NT/status/409672823506878465

Aim_The Nation @Aim_NT

Suthep said foreigners have been sent to spy among the protesters. They might cause chaos, light fire, and frame the protesters.

Says enough, doesn't it?

Makes you wonder what dear leader Suthep will say to foreign ambassadors or diplomats when he completes his "people's council". What will he tell them? "Hi, I'm Suthep ...I don't respect you!". The PDRC Thai Facebook is full of anti-foreigner slogans.

If he completes his power grab, the foreign media like CNN and BBC will be all over these comments he has made in the past and present and then Thailand's reputation and tourist industry will be ruined.

Nobody wants to make holiday in a country where a "people's council" rules and their leader hates foreigners. They might as well go to North Korea instead. Same thing, but they don't hate foreigners.

This forum becomes increasingly embarassing with the ignorant, blinkered, racist comments. Also misinformation: at least 3 posters have suggested that PM Yingluck studied English at a US university. She did not. She studied administration. I don't know how well she did. [reference to deleted bad language removed]

I found her interview perfectly understandable and her English nearly on a par with the interviewer. But actually very few Thais speak perfect English, unless they have been brought up or schooled in UK/USA/Australasia etc. (e.g. Abhisit, Rama VI, and a few others). Probably most of the posters on TV have not spent much time speaking with foreigners. If they did they would realise that it is not the quality of the English that matters, it's the quality of the speaker.

Yingluck's points about management and logic make sense. The plans for a fight against drugs, poverty also make sense. Her actual political accomplishments however have been disappointing. It's such a shame that there is no effective opposition in this country. The first car scheme and the rice pledging scheme should be reformed or abandoned: where are you now when we need you Mr Abhisit?

she can't think for herself, when she's speaking on TV she's continually looking down at the script, its embarrassing as what she says makes no sense and its obvious she understands little of what she's saying.

This forum becomes increasingly embarassing with the ignorant, blinkered, racist comments. Also misinformation: at least 3 posters have suggested that PM Yingluck studied English at a US university. She did not. She studied administration.

Who has said she studied English? What's been stated, at least by myself, is that she studied a Master's degree in English. Not the same as saying she studied an English Master's degree.

Anyway, what she majored in is a little academic, because all Master's degrees require advanced language skills, no matter what the subject.

Fully agreed. I never said she studied English, either.

Apparently some are as challenged in their comprehension of English as Yingluck is.

Edited by Maha Sarakham Marty

No matter how veiled the insinuations are, do not go there:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

From this point on, anymore veiled insinuations/speculations, suspensions will be issued.

Aim_The Nation @Aim_NT

Suthep said foreigners have been sent to spy among the protesters. They might cause chaos, light fire, and frame the protesters.

Says enough, doesn't it?

By ‘farangs” he was referring to Cambodians. The day before he said that, some Cambodians tried to attack the protester camp, and they confessed they were paid to do that.

• Like 1

Many of the replies to the OP fail to give credit to Yingluck, who speaks much better English than her elder brother. Well done Ms Shinawatra.

No. Unlike his sister, Thaksin's English while far from perfect was at least understandable. And when he spoke it, you didn't cringe.

I said something nice about Thaksin!clap2.gif

Yingluck tends to take more of the scatter gun approach. Throwing into the conversation as many of the catchwords she has memorized and been told to use, as often as she can, and regardless of the question being asked... which you sense half the time she has not understood at all.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thankyou 3 times.

• Like 1