Teaching Teens in Thailand

loraporz

Hi there,

Looking to move over to Thailand sometime this year on a 6 month contract. I have family in Thailand and have spent a lot of time there in the past and feel very comfortable there. As I have the skills to teach abroad and its something I'd like to do before I settle down etc, it feels very logical to come back to Thailand.

I currently work as an EFL teacher in England and have been doing so for the past year. I teach general English to teens - adults, and feel most qualified to teach this age group. I have around 2 weeks experience teaching kids, and as I don't have many methods for teaching young children, I didn't feel I was doing a very good job and it was therefore unpleasant.

I know most teaching work in Thailand is usually with children, but adult education exists somewhere, I just don't know where to look.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,

L

Qualifications include: CELTA, Post Graduate Certificate in Further and Higher Music Education, BA (Hons) in Professional Musicianship

• Like 1

If it's teens that you are comfortable teaching, the high schools here are usually 13-18 age ranges :)

You can specify that you would rather teach M5/M6 - 17/18 year olds.

But if you particlarly want to teach older students, the Universities will be happy to have somebody with your experience and qualifications.

Regards working in the UK in a TEFL role, did you find permanent work or mainly part time gigs?

I'm asking because after teaching for a year in Thailand, I am back in the UK and thinking about some TEFL work.

If it's teens that you are comfortable teaching, the high schools here are usually 13-18 age ranges smile.png

You can specify that you would rather teach M5/M6 - 17/18 year olds.

But if you particlarly want to teach older students, the Universities will be happy to have somebody with your experience and qualifications.

Regards working in the UK in a TEFL role, did you find permanent work or mainly part time gigs?

I'm asking because after teaching for a year in Thailand, I am back in the UK and thinking about some TEFL work.

Hi Chonabot,

Thanks for the reply! That's great, I'll look into the universities.

I've been at my school for a year now, but I've had to show quite a lot of 'pazaaz' shall we say, to keep my job. Seen a few come and go in the time I've been here. Think the key is to relocate to a city with a lot of schools, so you have more choice and a bit more security. I'm in Brighton and there's around 13 language schools here that are British Council accredited.

x

• Like 1

Teens want what most kids want: to do and talk about the stuff they enjoy.

That's fine, and that's something I'm more than happy about doing. It's my personality which I feel works better with teens. I can have a bit more of a joke and be myself around them more. I feel myself moulding into a children's TV presenter when I'm teaching kids.

Ah, Thai teens. 30-50 in a classroom. Don't get me started.

Okay, says it all really..

I guess I'm looking for the dream of around 20 students, perhaps mixed teens/adults?

I'm really just looking to broaden my horizons in Thailand. Taking a job here wouldn't be forever, so it doesn't have to be the perfect one. I feel overworked and undervalued in the school I'm currently in, so my view is why feel like this in the rainy UK where all my ever-changing wages go on my studio apartment. I feel I could get a little more out of the same job by doing it in Thailand, even if my pay and living situation turns out to be the same.

Long term plan is to work in Thailand for around 6 months - possibly a year if it feels right, then return to the UK to settle down with my partner where I'd hopefully continue to teach. If that wasn't possible, I'd settle for something else that makes me happy. (I hope!) But before I throw in the towel, I'd like to get the most out of my skills.

Cheers for all advice so far,

L

x