Please Clarify Marriage Visa

hi all,

i understand the basic of marriage non-imm O extension i think; show marriange registration and 400,000 in thai bank or 40,000/month.

however, i'm a bit fuzzy on a few details like:

where to apply? which office? any or only bkk?

assuming i get a 9 month extension to the non-imm O, can i extend in thailand the next time? if so, how much and where?

if i want a exit/reentry permit, can i use local immigration or must be bkk?

can you get a work permit with a non imm O or does it have to be with a non imm B (which i currently have). i have 6 months left on my non imm B, if i need to change to O for marriage extension, can i do that in thailand?

thanks, steve

You and wife apply together - you do not obtain without her.

All full service immigration posts can accept applications but all decisions are made in Bangkok.

You can obtain a work permit on O visa and need not meet the same requirements that you do on the B but procedure is slightly different so many employers will say you can't as they don't know how to do. Visas can be changed for a number of reason but marriage is not listed as one of them so you would have to ask. If not you would have to obtain from a Consulate outside of Thailand using marriage certificate and wife id card as proof.

You can obtain a work permit on O visa and need not meet the same requirements that you do on the B but procedure is slightly different so many employers will say you can't as they don't know how to do.

interesting, i'll see if my lawyer knows how to do it.

another quick question. will be elligable for retirment visa in a couple of years. if married, does the financial requirement fall to 400,000/40,000 month for retirement visa?

steve

Steve, you can do your one year extension in Samui or Surat Thani. It does take some time to be processed but then it would also be that way in Bangkok. Bonus with doing it in Samui is that you just have to take the boat over for your check every month (they require you to come in every month to check if it has arrived).

Once you have a one year extension then you do not have to leave the country to re-extend, but you will need a re-entry permit if you want to leave the country (also available in Samui)