Some of us go to extremes to eat what we miss from far away...

quiuvo

I prepare my own daily.

Thus I get what I want,not what someone wants to give me.

For our understanding, before you came to Thailand, back in your home country, did you cook (almost) everything yourself, as you were not happy in the home country 'what someone wants to give you'.

Or, is it only in Thai that you have this approach to food?

Not having a go ... just curious.

Me too curious. A lot of my friends and family have a lot of disposable income compared to the rest of the world (a so-called virtue of USA.) They eat out 2 meals a day and anything at home is quick, processed food. Those that cook for real say they save 70%, but their food is fresh and whole. I cooked all my own when there, then when I got settled in Thailand cooked again, but in between the Thai food was so healthy and tasty I didn't suffer (processed food makes me insufferably ill as I have Parkinsons.) To each his own, but having come to like whole food taste and amazing good health, I don't miss my old diet. Sadly, when eating a processed diet, my whole family, kids and all, fell in to the trap where the foods can never satisfy, neurochemistry suffers, and we all got fat and agitated :-) Hard lesson, and hard to break the habbit as the processed foods give an Opium-like drugging. Do miss that part :-D

Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy Dean's Country Sausage. It took me 5 minutes to make. Now I'm cooking eggsbiggrin.png

Good on ya, bro! Takes 5 minutes to make a batch of the sausage from scratch and you can fine tune the spices. PM if you want to get together and make a batch for the freezer.

I prepare my own daily.

For our understanding, before you came to Thailand, back in your home country, did you cook (almost) everything yourself, as you were not happy in the home country 'what someone wants to give you'.

Me too curious. A lot of my friends and family have a lot of disposable income compared to the rest of the world (a so-called virtue of USA.) They eat out 2 meals a day and anything at home is quick, processed food. Those that cook for real say they save 70%, but their food is fresh and whole. I cooked all my own when there, then when I got settled in Thailand cooked again, but in between the Thai food was so healthy and tasty I didn't suffer (processed food makes me insufferably ill as I have Parkinsons.) To each his own, but having come to like whole food taste and amazing good health, I don't miss my old diet. Sadly, when eating a processed diet, my whole family, kids and all, fell in to the trap where the foods can never satisfy, neurochemistry suffers, and we all got fat and agitated :-) Hard lesson, and hard to break the habbit as the processed foods give an Opium-like drugging. Do miss that part :-D

I only eat processed food !

sometimes the process is to cook the food, other times the process is simply to wash it or peel as i do for mangoes and other fruit.

One thing I was craving was freshly made pesto, I located some fresh sweet basil (Italian variety) and blended it with garlic, olive oil, parmesan, salt and cashews ..... oh my.

I think Thailand is an amazing foodie zone, the fresh ingredients are awsome, the local foods quite varied and delishous. My main complaint is the cost of good wine and beer, everything else is available.... except maybe a good chocolate torte.

Edited by daoyai
  • Like 1

I prepare my own daily.

I only eat processed food !

sometimes the process is to cook the food, other times the process is simply to wash it or peel as i do for mangoes and other fruit.

One thing I was craving was freshly made pesto, I located some fresh sweet basil (Italian variety) and blended it with garlic, olive oil, parmesan, salt and cashews ..... oh my.

I think Thailand is an amazing foodie zone, the fresh ingredients are awsome, the local foods quite varied and delishous. My main complaint is the cost of good wine and beer, everything else is available.... except maybe a good chocolate torte.

I agree with the caveat that a stunning array of moonshine and rotgut illegal spirits are also available.

Sure there is a problem with good wine and beer but cheap coffee bad spirits abound.coffee1.gif

here in Wichianburi all the expats come to the local bar on a thursday,it has turned into something of a falang food market,a couple of people make bread,someone else makes meat pies,sausage rolls etc,one chaps wife has a mobile burger/hot dog/pizza sidecar,also sausage king in chiang mai make pies sausages and many other things,they deliver all over thailand[at least i think they do], as for thai food i like it,but unfortunately my stomach is not as strong as it once was and this can often lead to a morning spent on the toilet the next day,as for issan food ,well i have tried but not for me,the plaa,chickens feet,field crabs ,snails etc,really this is traditional food that they ate because they were too poor to eat anything else,of course that is now changing for the worse health wise,as you only have to look at young thais especially some kids who are very chubby,whilst the older generation tend not to be. I find i can get most things in tesco or macro,but tortillas i have seen only in villa in bk,and they were very expensive.

At the top is royal Thai Cuisine and at the bottom jungle food.

Only the best and freshest ingredients are used in making royal Thai food. Furthermore, there are no extremes in flavors which means not too hot, not too salty, not too sour and not too spicy. Everything is balanced.

One very noticeable feature that sets royal Thai cuisine apart is that all fruits and vegetables have no pits, stones or peel.

When it comes to serving meat, there are no bones in royal Thai cuisine. Not even in the fish.

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/eat/chef-mcdang-myth-royal-thai-cuisine-655324

Then in between there is Northern and Southern Thai cuisines.

That is 4 distinct different styles of Thai cooking and I'm sure there are more.

Well, that sounds lovely, and expensive.

People often say, what keeps you in Thailand? For me the food is tops. I absolutely love wandering the night markets in a different regions scouting out new foods. You simply never know what you will find. Authentic gaeng-som, light battered soft shelled crabs, special khao yam, regional thai sweets, you just never know and it is so cheap and so delicious.

I don't much mind the poor cuts of meat although hamburger for phat kaphow is a bridge too far. Hell, its 35-40b and how much meat do you get anyway?

Nam Tok Neua can be stellar in Issan. Yum. Fresh salads with seafood, fried grouper withba dozen sauces or none, OMFLB. Yum. In Lao it is not difficult to find sun dried wild pig. Yum.

• Like 1