Some of us go to extremes to eat what we miss from far away...

quiuvo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just took bread pudding out of the oven made with bread, Thai fruit and coconut milk and palm sugar. At lunch I ate ham salad made with pickled ginger, cilantro and spring onions. I grind my own hamburger from Aussie beef and mix it with my special ingredients and freeze the patties.

I don't recommend imported beef its just silly.

A. Its Frozen

B. Its not fresh

C. No matter how good Aussie meat is.. its never going to be up to par when its been frozen.

I hope you will consider using more fresh ingredients as it is key to any fine dish. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Sayonarax

I just took bread pudding out of the oven made with bread, Thai fruit and coconut milk and palm sugar. At lunch I ate ham salad made with pickled ginger, cilantro and spring onions. I grind my own hamburger from Aussie beef and mix it with my special ingredients and freeze the patties.

A. Its Frozen

B. Its not fresh

C. No matter how good Aussie meat is.. its never going to be up to par when its been frozen.

I hope you will consider using more fresh ingredients as it is key to any fine dish. thumbsup.gif

sure, but good beef frozen not fresh is still approx. 1000 % better than this from McDonalds (which is also frozen).

• Like 1

On thw topic of cook it myself, I agree fresh ingredients are best, but maybe 'natural and whole' or 'unprocessed' are also good qualifiers of the better tasting, better quality, better health foods?

Often the things we go to extremes to get are not wholesome, though, and are junk foods we miss :) I'll pay extra for Cheetoes once a year and for Dr.Pepper and real Pepsi once in a while :)

I often pay for quality cheese or make my own. Would love to have a milk goat.

Edited by SailingHome

A. Its Frozen

B. Its not fresh

Thai beef is seldom grass fed and seldom has a nice marbling. For cheap (meaning in this case price, quality of taste, quality of what we refer fo as 'wholsomeness') beef, go Thai and it will be good for what you can do with cheap beef from usa, aus, nz, etc. Import good, highland, grass-fed, dry aged beef? Worth the price if you like and appreciate steak. I am wondering if maybe, like my sister, you don't have an appreciation for good beef. That's ok if so, but please don't tell me I should not. Please respect that others have a right to other views.

Edited by SailingHome

A. Its Frozen

B. Its not fresh

The reason it's no good when frozen is procedure. If thawed quickly it breaks down the cell structure. If thawed slowly no problem. In hamburger you can't tell the difference and I would bet not one in a hundred could tell the difference in a correctly thawed steak. What I'm trying to get away from is the sour taste of Thai beef from slaughter house procedures. After I mix my burger with my special ingredients it really doesn't make that much difference.

• Like 1

I miss flipper pie, I still can't find it anywhere in BKK.

Brings back memories from my childhood, not missing hardtack though. My Grandfather was from NFLD. Here's a recipie in case you manage to find some seal:

2 lb. (1 kg) seal meat

Water

2 tbsp. (25 mL) vinegar

3 slices fat-back pork

Salt to taste

Pepper to taste

1 onion, sliced

1 large carrot, sliced

1 turnip, cubed

2 tbsp. (25 mL) screech

3 cups ( 750 mL) water

Flour

Pastry:

1 cup (250 mL) flour

1-1/2 tsp. (7 mL) baking powder

1 tbsp. (15 mL) margarine or butter

1 egg, beaten

1/2 cup (125 mL) water

Preparation:

Place meat in a bowl and add water and vinegar to cover. Let sit for 1 hour; remove meat and dry well. Fry meat in fat-back pork, turning until browned on both sides. Add salt, pepper and onion. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Place carrot and turnip around meat. Add screech and 3 cups (750 mL) water. Cover and bake at 300F (150C) for 1 hour, adding mixture of flour and water to thicken if desired. Meanwhile, prepare pastry. Blend together flour, baking powder, and margarine. Stir in beaten egg and ½ cup (125 mL) water. Roll until ½ inch (1 cm) thick. Cover stew with pastry and bake for another 15 minutes.

Sounds delicious. I'll have the missus pick up a couple of seals at the market tomorrow. Shouldn't be an issue strapping them onto the Click.

A. Its Frozen

B. Its not fresh

so far from being right, what do you think we do in Australia when we do not live next door to a butcher, we buy weekly/fortnightly or monthly and freeze it. If you freeze it the right way and then thaw it the right way you cannot pick the difference. Has to be frozen in a good sealed freezer bag(not a very thin one, vacuum packed is better), has to be frozen pretty quickly then not kept frozen for more than several weeks/couple of months at most. You need to thaw it in the fridge overnight so that it defrosts at a slow rate and it will retain all its texture and taste. Problems occur when it gets freezer burn, partially defrosts and is refrozen or defrosted using micro waves, out in the air/sitting on the sink or with heat. I have bought some great beef at Macro(it is not often), just have to check every time you go there, the aussie beef mince is ok too, just go through the packs till you find one that looks ok but dont get the US stuff, its full of crap(sorry guys but it has that pink shit in it). No way I buy the fresh chicken/pork etc in any shop as it sits in the heat/air all day and is just the wrong colour(yellow or almost green), freshly rozen is the best there too.

• Like 1

I must say after 6 years here in Thailand that thaifood is awful and both smell and taste REAALY

bad!! I have now use for it.....

I still miss the fat gravy with potatoes and a nice meat on my plate.. nothing fancy, I just

miss to eat it....

Glegolo

I must say after 6 years here in Thailand that thaifood is awful and both smell and taste REAALY

bad!! I have now use for it.....

I still miss the fat gravy with potatoes and a nice meat on my plate.. nothing fancy, I just

miss to eat it....

Glegolo

Man, potatoes and gravy are really easy to make.

On the good tasting beef note... my buddy owns a restaurant on the beach in Ban Pae. His wife buys a beef loin at the local market when she needs steaks for the grill. They are quite good if you think Sizzler or Santa Fe are good.

I'm astonished at how many foreigners that don't like or cannot eat Thai food. Not as though you are living in Philippines, Costa Rica or the Sudan.

Was recently in an NP, eggs and fried rice for all. Toast in the morning.

One of best cuisines in the world and all of you gravitate back to crappy, unhealthful food most of which your wives and gfs wont touch.

Its one thing to reach for comfort food, another to have a western diet. Wife or gf must roll eyes daily.

Funny how removed so many of you are from this country.

When I first came to LOS, I found Thai food exotic and delicious. Now, after 15 years, I find it boring, too hot [to taste other flavors] and too much greasy fried food. Now, I crave exotic international flavors [Mexican, Italian, Japanese, American etc.] and cook 80% of what I eat as very few restaurants really know how to make falang food properly.

I also think that most of the replies that favor Thai food have just gotten off the plane with their rose colored glasses.

Edited by jaideeguy
  • Like 1

What I hear above is a lot of guys don't like Issan food. There are many different styles of Thai cooking. There is spicy Thai food and not spicy Thai food. My wife's father didn't like spicy food and she cooks for me like she cooked for him. I like the Thai vegetables and fruit that I couldn't get in the West.

• Like 1

Sorry JDG but sounds like you don't lile Thai food. Ive come to realize after reading this board, others and traveling about that most foreigners really don't like Thai food. You can put the UK at the top of the heap and Americans pathetically not far behind.

No rose colored glasses, nor right off the plane. I eat rich 3x a day and now think of Thai food as - food. I actually have cravings, especially in states. We just came off a big trip on a remote island and we were hungry. Wife asked what I wanted. Noodles! Her eyes were wide, yeah!! Then we recalled a noodle shack that closed down where we used to eat after coming off the island. Then, we both smiled and dreamed of noodles.

Wifes family is from Issan and she does have a penchant for the food. I have done my time eating that stuff (many Thai wont touch it, some do though enjoy a bit). For me, it's not the heat but the nasty ingredients. The fish paste, the offal. I'm also not big on some soups and not a big fan of freshwater fish (soft) in general. Lots of Issan food I do like. Not keen on Lao or Khmer - not as spicy and not so much use of fresh herbs, esp krapow. Too many soups - Lao. Too much mudfish - Khmer.

But if you don't honestly love Thai food, you dont love food. Goes double if you call what the UK considers food. Now that is swill. Mashed peas, that is baby food <deleted>.

This post isnt to one up sny or all of you. Just recently came to conclusion that farang really and truly do not eat Thai (general). Those that do are foodies, marrieds or both.

Its one thing to crave comfort food once in awhile or a steak or crunchy food or green salad. Baking is a great hobby and cooking a nice meal (farang food), great. But a life of eating crappy farang food in restaurants that dont even get it right. Well, time to pack it up gents.

Not to mention the addl costs or subjecting the gf or wife to the crappy meal. Always makes me smile, seeing some farang st the mall usually in a pizza joint with Thai girl in tow.

I think me and wife have had pizza three times in four years, even then I tjink I orfered the Pizza Co spicy spaghetti. We have ate more pizza at my parents (2x) than here snd I would never, ever be caught dead with her in a fast food joint, not even kfc.

Rubber hits the road with the food. Separates men from boys to be sure.

At the top is royal Thai Cuisine and at the bottom jungle food.

Only the best and freshest ingredients are used in making royal Thai food. Furthermore, there are no extremes in flavors which means not too hot, not too salty, not too sour and not too spicy. Everything is balanced.

One very noticeable feature that sets royal Thai cuisine apart is that all fruits and vegetables have no pits, stones or peel.

When it comes to serving meat, there are no bones in royal Thai cuisine. Not even in the fish.

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/eat/chef-mcdang-myth-royal-thai-cuisine-655324

Then in between there is Northern and Southern Thai cuisines.

That is 4 distinct different styles of Thai cooking and I'm sure there are more.

Sorry JDG but sounds like you don't lile Thai food. Ive come to realize after reading this board, others and traveling about that most foreigners really don't like Thai food. You can put the UK at the top of the heap and Americans pathetically not far behind.

No rose colored glasses, nor right off the plane. I eat rich 3x a day and now think of Thai food as - food. I actually have cravings, especially in states. We just came off a big trip on a remote island and we were hungry. Wife asked what I wanted. Noodles! Her eyes were wide, yeah!! Then we recalled a noodle shack that closed down where we used to eat after coming off the island. Then, we both smiled and dreamed of noodles.

Wifes family is from Issan and she does have a penchant for the food. I have done my time eating that stuff (many Thai wont touch it, some do though enjoy a bit). For me, it's not the heat but the nasty ingredients. The fish paste, the offal. I'm also not big on some soups and not a big fan of freshwater fish (soft) in general. Lots of Issan food I do like. Not keen on Lao or Khmer - not as spicy and not so much use of fresh herbs, esp krapow. Too many soups - Lao. Too much mudfish - Khmer.

But if you don't honestly love Thai food, you dont love food. Goes double if you call what the UK considers food. Now that is swill. Mashed peas, that is baby food <deleted>.

This post isnt to one up sny or all of you. Just recently came to conclusion that farang really and truly do not eat Thai (general). Those that do are foodies, marrieds or both.

Its one thing to crave comfort food once in awhile or a steak or crunchy food or green salad. Baking is a great hobby and cooking a nice meal (farang food), great. But a life of eating crappy farang food in restaurants that dont even get it right. Well, time to pack it up gents.

Not to mention the addl costs or subjecting the gf or wife to the crappy meal. Always makes me smile, seeing some farang st the mall usually in a pizza joint with Thai girl in tow.

I think me and wife have had pizza three times in four years, even then I tjink I orfered the Pizza Co spicy spaghetti. We have ate more pizza at my parents (2x) than here snd I would never, ever be caught dead with her in a fast food joint, not even kfc.

Rubber hits the road with the food. Separates men from boys to be sure.

If you read my post, you will read that I used to love and crave Thai food, but just got bored with it after so many years and excuse me, but there are many other cuisines in the world. I love Mexican food, but if I lived there for 15 years, I think I would get a little bored with beans and corn.

A. Its Frozen

B. Its not fresh

sure, but good beef frozen not fresh is still approx. 1000 % better than this from McDonalds (which is also frozen).

Hahaha.. nothing comes close to a 1000 cow hamburger pattie. laugh.png

Fresh pork,I buy from the slaughterman.

You can even watch if that's your wish.

Then butchered to order.

Chicken,duck,goose the same,although goose rarely as they are good house guardians.

Edited by Hedghog

I don't go to extremes.I just don't eat Thai cooked food.I prepare my own daily.Thus I get what I want,not what someone wants to give me.
Fresh pork,I buy from the slaughterman.You can even watch if that's your wish.Then butchered to order.Chicken,duck,goose the same,although goose rarely as they are good house guardians.
So... putting 2 & 2 together here... you are advocating the consumption of raw Thai pork from the slaughterhouse freshly served to order, raw chicken, ... and maybe house guardians too? :o No franchise of The Slaugterhouse Restaurant in USA goes to that extreme. No fair! ;-)

I prepare my own daily.

Thus I get what I want,not what someone wants to give me.

For our understanding, before you came to Thailand, back in your home country, did you cook (almost) everything yourself, as you were not happy in the home country 'what someone wants to give you'.

Or, is it only in Thai that you have this approach to food?

Not having a go ... just curious.

I prepare my own daily.

Thus I get what I want,not what someone wants to give me.

For our understanding, before you came to Thailand, back in your home country, did you cook (almost) everything yourself, as you were not happy in the home country 'what someone wants to give you'.

Or, is it only in Thai that you have this approach to food?

Not having a go ... just curious.

I used to do the same in my home country.

For the wife two kids and myself.

• Like 1

Save your time writing, the OP is a major troll...look at the "content" section of his profile, he just starts one bizarre, contentious thread after another.

What's your problem? Quivo asks a bunch of questions and gets lots of respondents. If you don't like them, don't read them.

For "Troll" read "anyone who asks questions that elicit loads of interest and answers, that I wish I'd thought to ask, myself" according to many board-members (not just this board, either).

Which makes most of us original posters.........Trolls.

It would be amusing, were it not so tragic.