jet ski scams

phycokiller

cant find any threads on this but its on going and tourists should know about it. anyway I noticed yesterday that the scammers from Mikes are doing scams down at soi 7 now as well, they have a young bearded guy doing the deals for them, I guess he gets 10%, at least thats what they offered a friend of mine to do the negotiating, and I have seen them scamming opposite the police station as well, also saw one sink a few days ago, in a normal country they would have been refunded but here Im sure it cost the renters at least 50000b. maybe they are finding it more difficult at Mikes with the new viewing platform

• Like 2

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could the OP have done a forum search and not have come up with anything? This topic has been beaten to death and had probably one of the longest running threads here ever.

• Like 1

Nice tries by some to discredit the key point. You obviously have never sat in the police station and seen any of these cases come in and how the police deal simply as explainers of the legal options if damage is actually seen on the skis. They are considered as civil cases and in five years I never witnessed any policeman take sides with anyone within the station. No one is denying that scams are occurring but real damage cases do exist and those make up the bulk of all those disputes I ever saw.

• Like 1

Peter cool , if you worked as a police volunteer you must have been sleeping . Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And - specifically - just what did you witness inside a police station that contradicts my own observations on these jet ski cases ?

Peter cool , if you worked as a police volunteer you must have been sleeping . Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And - specifically - just what did you witness inside a police station that contradicts my own observations on these jet ski cases ?

You really should stop now.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

was three weeks ago in patts just for some business and a day out with the missus. Guess in one day I saw all what it has to offer, rude russians, loud indians sharing beers and asking for discount, and of course a jet ski scam, I watched these chinese guys enjoying the jet skis for some time and for sure they didnt hit any thing but also the police helped to negotiate on the price of the so called damage. even made a pic. even though all these things we had a nice day as long as you know what not to do :)post-153901-1389009912426_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I will say this one more time despite the expected vitriolic responses .... I once worked at Soi 9 police station volunteer desk (have since stopped doing that) and saw many, many of the disputes that ended up there. A very large proportion of the disputes involved real damage - often considerable - and the issue was always that the renters offered ridiculous compensations like 500 baht and/or no acceptable compromise could be reached. The "scams" on the beach that never reach the station (which is the last place the operators want to be) are not widespread even if regular and they are extremely difficult to judge in terms of whether real damage has been done, what is proper compensation if damage has been done and how to resolve things. It is a City Hall issue and until proper regulation is put in place the issues will remain.

You must be working for them. Online lobbying ?

• Like 1

Yes i still see the scams going on a regular basis. Nothing has really changed except they may only try one a day instead of 5. Yes sometimes there are collisions but they are rare.

And some times collisions and sinkings are set up by the punks

Edited by StealthEnergiser

I will say this one more time despite the expected vitriolic responses .... I once worked at Soi 9 police station volunteer desk (have since stopped doing that) and saw many, many of the disputes that ended up there. A very large proportion of the disputes involved real damage - often considerable - and the issue was always that the renters offered ridiculous compensations like 500 baht and/or no acceptable compromise could be reached. The "scams" on the beach that never reach the station (which is the last place the operators want to be) are not widespread even if regular and they are extremely difficult to judge in terms of whether real damage has been done, what is proper compensation if damage has been done and how to resolve things. It is a City Hall issue and until proper regulation is put in place the issues will remain.

With all respect Petercool, I have spent several months during my late afternoon work-outs on the beach watching these scams going on & was able to warn off dozends of potential victims off. Get a cup of coffee and sit across from Mike Shopping from 17.00 on, bet you will revise your opinion. Guess the regular watchers still hang out there. Have a chat with them. Good night. MS>

There is one main scam group opposite Mike Shopping Mall with most of the other groups rarely causing issues if no damage is done. I know all that. My point was that many ( I never said all) of the general disputes are about real damage and of those the majority are admitted to by the people renting but they cannot agree on what is fair compensation and I was specifically recounting in station cases that were witnessed. But enough, I have said all that I wished to on this.

Im sure Petercool is saying it as he sees it, but if you get out a bit you notice the same people day after day doing the same scams and pickpocketing on the beach, and if you were to spend some time observing the police cells just above you may even notice the policeman that delivers the yaba every evening for the inmates as well