jet ski scams

phycokiller

i have read this topic and am amazed at how silly many tourist and expats hanging around the beach area can be . i have read the comments from petercool and he is spot on with his accessment of what is happening at the moment on the beach regarding jet ski rentals . maybe some time ago you would have seen more problems and scams on the beach but today this is at minimum . there were 3 group of renters who did operate scams. one of whom was sent to prison the other received warnings and fines . now most of the problems are from customers who do cause damage to the jet ski . petercool seems to have first hand knowledge of what is happening rather than listen to the story of those who have consumed to many chang.yes the jet ski renters sometime do get agressive , how would you feel if some idiot damaged your property.

What a load of boll***ks...the problem isn't at a minimum, it goes on and all day every day along Beach Road...I know, because I see it every single time I am there....btw, haven't drank anything today, don't drink Chang...and by the way, "petercool" can't have first hand knowledge because he used to sit inside the police station, not out on Beach Road observing the real world as opposed to the world of lies being told by the scammers/thugs/criminals and their friends the police...

Anyway, I see you joined Thaivisa today....and I see you write just like "petercool and I see you say the same things as "petercool"...hang on little man...you are "petercool"...LOL....how totally transparent...DOUBLE LOL....

I don't walk along the beach road so much these days but, amazingly when I did venture down there with my wife a week or so back, there had apparently been some incident with a jet ski and a group of aggressive operators were physically preventing a group of Russians from leaving the area. The Russians were saying they had done nothing to damage the skis the Thais were pointing to vague scratches and marks and claiming 50000 baht for repairs. How fortunate I was to happen upon such an event which according to 'petercool' is 'not widespread'. This was somewhere between Pattaya Klang and Soi 5, certainly nowhere near Mikes where he says they are aware of the scams. Begs the question as to why nothing is done about it if the police are aware of the situation.

Edited by gmac

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

next Peter you'll be trying to tell us that lot you sit with in Soi 9 have stopped their extortion rackets (that are on an industrial scale) and returned to "good honest policing"

I have stopped working with the police and their foreign volunteers for reasons that do indeed include things I could not condone that went on around me so, no, I won't be saying that. There were other reasons too.

• Like 1

I will say this one more time despite the expected vitriolic responses .... I once worked at Soi 9 police station volunteer desk (have since stopped doing that) and saw many, many of the disputes that ended up there. A very large proportion of the disputes involved real damage - often considerable - and the issue was always that the renters offered ridiculous compensations like 500 baht and/or no acceptable compromise could be reached. The "scams" on the beach that never reach the station (which is the last place the operators want to be) are not widespread even if regular and they are extremely difficult to judge in terms of whether real damage has been done, what is proper compensation if damage has been done and how to resolve things. It is a City Hall issue and until proper regulation is put in place the issues will remain.

Your remarks make me sick ! I have watched these guys in action and it is a total scam.... I repeat Total scam !!! One day I watched and it was 7 out of 7 renters who were scammed or at least had a major problem with these lowlifes.

Why don't you test what we all know, go for a ride .... See how much they try to scam you for ..... Hahaha

• Like 1

I will say this one more time despite the expected vitriolic responses .... I once worked at Soi 9 police station volunteer desk (have since stopped doing that) and saw many, many of the disputes that ended up there. A very large proportion of the disputes involved real damage - often considerable - and the issue was always that the renters offered ridiculous compensations like 500 baht and/or no acceptable compromise could be reached. The "scams" on the beach that never reach the station (which is the last place the operators want to be) are not widespread even if regular and they are extremely difficult to judge in terms of whether real damage has been done, what is proper compensation if damage has been done and how to resolve things. It is a City Hall issue and until proper regulation is put in place the issues will remain.

What a load of garbage. All you need to do is hang around Beach Road for a few hours to see scams going down...they are real, the damage is made up and they certainly are widespread...stop talking rubbish or go somewhere else. Also, scams do reach the police station, but the police are part of the scam so it won't help the victims by going to the police station.

How can you make up damage either it is damaged or it is not.

Instead of all these posts about scams why does no one ever mention look the machine over before you use it and point out the already existing damage. A common sense solution to most of the problem yet it takes away the ability of the poster to Thai bash so they don't mention it. They are more interested in Thai bashing than they are in helping the potential victim.

You have documentation that the police are part of the scam petercool was on site in the police station and saw what he reports he did not read it off of some forum.

Did it ever occur to you that you saw all those scams on the beach because the scammers did not want to go to the police? That fit's right in with what petercool said.

These guys put a little fresh paint on a mark or putty in a crack and by time the rider returns after 30 minutes it has all washed out and now looks damaged. For sure !!!

actually today at 4 opposite Mikes there was one that was genuinely damaged in a collision, but none the less this isnt just opposite Mikes, its all of the beach between klang and walking st and if reports on this thread are to be believed the rest of the beach and Jomtiem arent safe as well, and the police are definitely collecting from it, altho I wouldnt know how far up the chain it goes, but certainly the police that motorbike up and down the beach are in on it, as is the young bearded guy that pretends to be a negotiator

There's one MAJOR flaw to these damage claims. The jet ski is in water, the riders just ride up and down, what else are they meant to do? Only the operators ride aggressively. Its difficult to cause damage just going up and down the shoreline. Damage must be made up 95% of the time.

I challenge any keyboard warrior watching the scams to go down and back up the renter

I have been reading about the world famous Thai jet ski scam for 14 years here, think it would be

fun to see it in action. So in front of Mike's is the best spot ??

Yeah, just 100m or so from Mikes towards Central, they have built some wooden structure right where it needs to be, to have front row seats to watch the show. And wooden railings you can lean on, very comfortable. The terrace made of wood planks, looks like there may be some benches built there soon. That would be wonderful!

I observed a scam in progress today, around 4pm, watched the negotiations for 10 min, then got bored and walked.

Another spot is towards Walking st from Mikes, maybe 300m or so. There you can enjoy comfortable concrete steps seating arrangements. Very close to the action, often you can even hear the dialogue.

Enjoy!

Edited by valgehiir
  • Like 1

i have read this topic and am amazed at how silly many tourist and expats hanging around the beach area can be . i have read the comments from petercool and he is spot on with his accessment of what is happening at the moment on the beach regarding jet ski rentals . maybe some time ago you would have seen more problems and scams on the beach but today this is at minimum . there were 3 group of renters who did operate scams. one of whom was sent to prison the other received warnings and fines . now most of the problems are from customers who do cause damage to the jet ski . petercool seems to have first hand knowledge of what is happening rather than listen to the story of those who have consumed to many chang.yes the jet ski renters sometime do get agressive , how would you feel if some idiot damaged your property.

What a load of boll***ks...the problem isn't at a minimum, it goes on and all day every day along Beach Road...I know, because I see it every single time I am there....btw, haven't drank anything today, don't drink Chang...and by the way, "petercool" can't have first hand knowledge because he used to sit inside the police station, not out on Beach Road observing the real world as opposed to the world of lies being told by the scammers/thugs/criminals and their friends the police...

Anyway, I see you joined Thaivisa today....and I see you write just like "petercool and I see you say the same things as "petercool"...hang on little man...you are "petercool"...LOL....how totally transparent...DOUBLE LOL....

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Looks like peter is enlisting the help of some invisible friends. What I don't understand, is why would anybody defend these scumbags on beach road, unless they were getting a piece of the action?

Peter cool , if you worked as a police volunteer you must have been sleeping . Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps, but he is detailing what he has seen in the station.

The scams often don't get there, the scammers don't want to and they often have someone who appears already in a uniform to do work with them.

I say ban them from Pattaya beach.

Edited by jacko45k

Peter cool , if you worked as a police volunteer you must have been sleeping . Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps, but he is detailing what he has seen in the station.

The scams often don't get there, the scammers don't want to and they often have someone who appears already in a uniform to do work with them.

I say ban them from Pattaya beach.

Yes but some mystery newbies popped up on this thread yesterday, typing in the same style as petercool hence the "invisible friends" mentioned.

• Like 2

^^^

What others may post under whatever name is not connected to me even if they have similar views and seemingly have similar experiences. I am quite capable of answering anything without others' help and certainly have not registered here under any other name. I repeat, I have one and only one forum registration and under only one name. But keep sniping away if it amuses you.

One off topic post removed.

FYI there are no duplicate accounts posting on here.

26) Not to create multiple accounts. Any member found to have more than one account on the ThaiVisa Forum will be suspended. Suspended or banned members found creating additional accounts will be banned immediately.

• Like 1

^^^

These would be my best guesses .... Of those that came into the police station, and of those that admitted to damaging the jet skis, I think a fair guess would be closer to 90% who felt that the damage claims were excessive or beyond their current cash means. Then of those, compromises would make up 80% and 20% would choose to go to court to settle any official complaint made by operators. Probably less than 30% of all cases at the station would say that they had not damaged the jet skis at all. In nearly all cases renters would admit that they had signed the paper before renting that stated they had inspected the jet ski prior to renting and which stated the consequences for any damage when they returned it.

I cannot comment on percentages of cases that were settled or otherwise on the beach itself because those are not recorded like the station cases are.

As I say, these would be my best guess after seeing hundreds of these cases within the police station over a period of years.

Since when did I ever deny there were scams ? Since when did I ever deny what others have witnessed ? Since when did I assist the scammers ? Since when did I deny that there was corruption ? I simply stated what I have myself witnessed in a specific jet ski related context within a specific location - the police station.

Get over it.

Edited by petercool
  • Like 1

With all the complaints coming in day after day about these scams, why don't the Police do a sting operation and have the perpetrators caught, charged and jailed? How hard would it be to, mount several cameras in strategic locations, have an innocent looking new tourist looking for a jet ski rental (but he is working for and with the Police) and then observe, record, move in and arrest these guys once and for all? Why don't they do this and clear up the industry? Would petercool like to comment on this?

• Like 1

I've been to Thailand on holiday for the last couple of years. I've been to different beaches around the South and always wanted to ride around on the sea with one of those things. But than I always beared in mind the sayings, "renting a jet ski may end up in an expensive scam!" ...So I haven't ever.

Is it the best, to never rent a jet ski in Thailand period (?)

Or is it a numbers game like driving on Thai roads in general? You may arrive savely or ... make a haedplant into a pickup which overtakes another car ...

What about the scammers. Can you point them if you know them? Shame and blame!! It won't have a big impact at all, but at least it may help anyone who reads your posts before renting one from them.

On the other side, can anyone recomend a trustworthy jet ski rental in Pattaya? Are there any? What about the other seasides? Samui, Phuket, Koh Chang, ...? Any place trustworthy, .. or just never ever ride a jet ski in Thailand...?

Since the risk of being scammed is so high, and if you know of the risk, why is there such an urge to take that risk? Of course if nothing happens, you could tell your friends how the scammers were afraid of you, but there are enough of them, that your size or cleverness will not win the day. Just forget the jet ski, go play in the traffic, if you need some excitement.