Thailand is the top alcohol-consuming country in ASEAN

Lite Beer

Alcohol consumption in Thailand

Alcohol-5edit.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is the top alcohol-consuming country in ASEAN with 40 percent of drinkers found in North-East region.

According to the latest alcohol consumption data collected by World Health Organization, Thailand is ranked 1st among ASEAN countries in alcohol consumption, followed closely by Laos and the Philippines.

The Current Situation and Effect of Alcohol Consumption in Thailand 2013 report conducted by the Center for Alcohol Studies (CAS) has shown that 31.5 percent of Thai people aged 15 years and over, or about 17 million drinkers, consume alcohol regularly.

Men consume alcohol more than women, while 77 percent of regular drinkers are adults.

The report also revealed that, in a year, each regular drinker consumes 7.1 litres of pure alcohol, which is equal to 226 bottles of beer or 25 bottles of spirit.

The region that has the most alcohol consumption in Thailand is the North-East region, with 6.7 million drinkers or 40 percent of the country, while the second most alcohol consumption, which is 23 percent of the country, is in the North region.

In Bangkok, there are 1.3 million regular drinkers or approximately eight percent of the country.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/infographic/alcohol-consumption-thailand/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-06

• Like 1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Somchai Wongsawat said the truth?
The one that was banned for politics for 5 years, Thaksin's brother in law, husband of Yaowapa,
now is in charge of collecting tax revenue in the country of Thailand.

Somchai Wongsawat said that excise tax collected in Q1 of the 2014 fiscal year falls beneath its goal.
According to Mr. Somchai, the main resource for excise tax comes from alcoholic beverage,

Now i must read that Thailand is the top alcohol-consuming country in ASEAN

Why the goverment then, can not reach there Q1 2014 fiscal year excise tax goal?

Strange!

Finally.... #1!!!!!!

As I posted the other day...

#2 in ASEAN for teen pregnancy

#3 in the world for road deaths

All they were missing was a number one. And now... Taa-daa! Well done.

Things are finally looking up for the country.

Someone should make a speech. Congratulations thailand. Finally rising to the top of Asean.

I don't find it that surprising when you factor in Thais have a higher level of disposable income than many other SEA nations, and also the likes of Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei are Islamic.

Bloody hell...

I was gunna say that as look at the place MUSLIMS countres drink heaps yeah? I THINK NOT... No ARAB flights for me turning off the bar... BURP!

partly because of high tourist volume and being cheapish (comparable with west).

but 7l pure alcohol is high, in par with europe/america

Nonsense, Tourist are less than 0.5 present of the Thai population at any given time. the real reason is that alcohol is obtained almost anywhere, in shops, soi's food vendors, and many other places that would not be permissible in most countries. because there is no law against public drinking the youngsters follow their elders footsteps, because it looks 'Macho'. Believe it or not more crimes, family violence, and children abuse is committed through alcohol then smoking, yet the countries anti-smoking laws are one of the stringiest in Asia. and alcohol abuse one of the most ignored.

Hahahahaha

Way to go! Thailand!!!

I see the apologistas are already trying to claim Thais don't drink and it's all the FaLang's fault....grow up Just because your wife don't let you drink as she wants to keep the money in the family's livers or buffaloes..... here's an education for you as you obviously know little about Thailand....

Thais love an ale. if you were as au fait with Thai culture as you like to think you are, you'd understand the concept of "Kwam Sanuk" which often involves booze...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Finally.... #1!!!!!!

maybe we can have a holiday to celebrate this fantastic trifecta

• Like 1

Finally.... #1!!!!!!

maybe we can have a holiday to celebrate this fantastic trifecta

Why not? I'm sure you'll be PM come the Election....or just taken as some random prat who knows nothing about Thailand...