Thailand is the top alcohol-consuming country in ASEAN

Lite Beer

Compare this with 11.67l in the UK, 11.81l in Germany, 13.39l in Ireland, and 14.97l in Czech Republic!

You're forgetting that the countries you mention all produce decent brews.

You're also forgetting that a very large proportion of Asians lack an enzyme called aldehyde hydrogenase, which prevents them from consuming beyond a certain level due to the unpleasant physical effects this enzyme deficiency causes. In layman speak, they get drunk much, much faster and with worse ill effects than Caucasians, who generally do NOT lack that enzyme and thus can consume comparatively more before they feel drunk.

Here is an academic paper on that, in case you don't believe me: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC303676/

Given that fact, 7.1 l of PURE alcohol is an enormous consumption.

That's very interesting.

Is there a similar paper on the enzyme that prevents the Welsh from buying a drink too? wink.png

that's just an allergic reaction to listening to englishmen boasting how many times over they could buy "this bar" because their house has gone up 5 fold , .............why worry about a bloody beer then ? get the f***in' drinks in old boy , tight assess !! ,.................ouiyyyyyyyyyyyy ! biggrin.png

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at all the pissheads in the NE, and they tell us they are poor, Now we know why.whistling.gif

those boys know how to party! and relax. by the way, what is a piss head? some brit saying? sounds like a brit!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Sure I use it when the occasion arises. Mosha used the expression because it fits the type of people who tend to speak I no HAB, BUT they have m/cy-mobiles-stereos-and get drunk so most people who get drunk regular could come under this category.

There IS a difference between a party-and having fun and getting pissed for the sake of it.---------we are Brits to the point -no frillswink.png

the numbers in graphic were collected in 2005, and published in 2011 in WHO research http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/global_alcohol_report/msbgsruprofiles.pdf

and seem that there are some mistakes on it.

1. TH 7.08
  2. Laos 6.73
  3. PH 6.38
  4. CBD 4.77
  5. VN 3.77
  6. BN 2.01
  7. SG 1.55
  8. MY 0.82
  9. IND 0.59
  10. MYANMA 0.57

Most of consumptions 98% are local products such as white spirit (laow kaow) and beer

Incredible achievement indeed for a practising Buddhist country!

Again I say, Thailand is not a Buddhist country. Thailand is an Animist country.

You're wrong again then, There are elements of Animism and Fetishism but on the whole it is Buddhist.
  • Like 1

I go weekly to two alcohol rehab hospitals in Isarn and have spoken with hundreds of patients over the last 10 years who have suffered from the effects of alcohol abuse. There are many alcoholics here but I'd say where I come from (Scotland) there are more. Not as bad as Finland, where I worked before Thailand.

Thailand maybe the top country for consuming alcohol but individually I don't think they do. Certainly nowhere near as much as I used to drink - 2 large bottles of Thai whisky plus about 5 Chang beers every day.

partly because of high tourist volume and being cheapish (comparable with west).

but 7l pure alcohol is high, in par with europe/america

Does the graphic not specifically note that it is Thai drinkers, therefore excluding tourist drinkers?

Do you rekon they take notes everytime i buy a beer.

I'm wondering about their methodology. Why would Myanmar be so low? Do people seriously not drink there, or is it some kind of flaw in the study, like they only counted commercially distributed booze and overlooked the homemade stuff?

I'm guessing that you haven't been to Myanmar

I'm wondering about their methodology. Why would Myanmar be so low? Do people seriously not drink there, or is it some kind of flaw in the study, like they only counted commercially distributed booze and overlooked the homemade stuff?

I haven't. That's one of the reasons I ask. Do people in Myanmar really not drink at all?

Look at all the pissheads in the NE, and they tell us they are poor, Now we know why.whistling.gif

Prejudice showing ignorance. Consider these population figures from wikipedia:

Population of Isaan (2010): 21.3 million

Population of Northern provinces: 6.1 million

Now look at the drinking stats:

Isaan: 6.7 million drinkers

Northern provinces: 3.9 million drinkers

You do the math. Hope you don't need a calculator... [Hint: a person from Isaan is less likely to be a drinker than a person from the Northern provinces and perhaps elsewhere also].

I haven't. That's one of the reasons I ask. Do people in Myanmar really not drink at all?

Not so much compared to other countries in the region. They do like to hang out at tea shops to socialize and use free wifi.

You have to realise that just a few years ago the government was much more strict, and drinking can lead to drunkeness, which can lead to poor decisions and/or lowered inhibitions which is not a good thing in a strictly ruled country (prison time).

Also the beer and spirits industry used to be tightly controlled by the government as well. So you have fear of doing something stupid combined with pricing of alcohol combined with lack of easy availability.....it leads to less drinking overall. Last time I was there, availability wasn't horrible, but you could easily journey somewhere new and not find beer/spirits. Selection is pretty poor throughout the country. (I also find selection to be somewhat poor in Thailand. AEC should be great for drinkers like me)

Finally keep in mind that this is all relative. I am used to finding a place that sells beer everywhere. I can step outside my building door and walk to a variety of bars, each filled with several dozens of different beers, spirits and wines. So to me, the selection and availability of alcohol in Myanmar is poor, but for somebody that has lived there their whole life, they would say that every year the selection and availability has improved.

[Hint: a person from Isaan is less likely to be a drinker than a person from the Northern provinces and perhaps elsewhere also].

One could argue that the lower consumption/head is due to lack of funds, though.

There was already a mention of Isaan folks being distributed all over the country, not counting the holidays. The traffic jams in Songkran on NE-bound roads are a testimony of this. They would add to BKK and Chonburi (among others) figures, since they don't ask for your Thabian Baan when buying alcohol in 7-11.

Actually it isn't really interesting who drinks the stuff. What I'm interested about is how much alcohol is smuggled from Laos/Cambodia and where to get it tongue.png

[Hint: a person from Isaan is less likely to be a drinker than a person from the Northern provinces and perhaps elsewhere also].

One could argue that the lower consumption/head is due to lack of funds, though.

There was already a mention of Isaan folks being distributed all over the country, not counting the holidays. The traffic jams in Songkran on NE-bound roads are a testimony of this. They would add to BKK and Chonburi (among others) figures, since they don't ask for your Thabian Baan when buying alcohol in 7-11.

Actually it isn't really interesting who drinks the stuff. What I'm interested about is how much alcohol is smuggled from Laos/Cambodia and where to get it tongue.png

Nah... I spend most of my Thai time in Isaan and you can pick up some see-sip for next to nothing. Or brew it yourself if you're really down and out :-)

I think its all the fault of those nasty Fahlarng sex tourists and sexpats....Thai people don't drink and love Buddha.....

Coup or no coup through thick and thin the perves come and spend hard earned currency on the retired rice ladies of Isaan and oil the wheels of the Thai economy - they are to be applauded in their loyalty and resilience but maybe not their morals or habits. But judge not others lest you be judged yourself.

Finally.... #1!!!!!!

As I posted the other day...

#2 in ASEAN for teen pregnancy

#3 in the world for road deaths

All they were missing was a number one. And now... Taa-daa! Well done.

Things are finally looking up for the country.

Brilliant if in the ASEAN games - A Gold, Silver and Bronze medal to add to the tally. Congratulations.

Finally.... #1!!!!!!

As I posted the other day...

#2 in ASEAN for teen pregnancy

#3 in the world for road deaths

All they were missing was a number one. And now... Taa-daa! Well done.

Things are finally looking up for the country.

Brilliant if in the ASEAN games - A Gold, Silver and Bronze medal to add to the tally. Congratulations.

You have missed Corruption, world ranking for Thailand. and gun related deaths, and tourist scams, and TAT arrivals figures maybe correct, BUT tourist arrivals LIES.

So Thailand is number one and top of the alcopops. thumbsup.gif

Quite a result for a nation of abstaining Buddhists.

Quite a result for a nation of abstaining Buddhists. Good answer for an average TV memberthumbsup.gif

post-154100-0-00750600-1389157683_thumb.

So Thai Buddhist are far far behind all the Christian nations in that game wai2.gif as for our Orthodox friends they are world championstongue.png

For the Muslims here is an interesting link

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Muslim_Statistics_-_Alcohol_and_Drugs

The list by countries for the laziest ones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

By the way a good idea would be to give the Buddhists a rest every single time anything happened in LOScoffee1.gif

• Like 1

I lived in Udon Thani and can confirm they are poor, well no one other than me ever bought the drink 5555

I only pay for my drink when I am in Thai company, if not you have 30 on the bill at the end of the evening.

Most will expect you to pay because farrang hab too much, him hab milliand and milliand.