German impaled on bike pedal on Jomtien Beach Road

webfact

I did the same once in Phnom Penh back in 2000.

Riding home pissed on my Vespa and hit a pothole, next thing I know I am on the floor with the 1960's Vespa laying on top of me.

Tried to get the bike off then noticed that I couldn't because the brake lever had become impaled in my calf muscle.

Still got the scar on my leg as the doctor that did the stitches in PP was hard of sight and had to get the nurse in to finish the stitches that he had totally ballsed up.

smile.png

When i was 24, i felt pain in my throat, went to a docs., sure enough, had tonsilitis, went to hospital , had them removed. Something i will remember for the rest of my life. Had a bad case of dandruff once, but, that is another exciting story for another day.

I had a friend in Eugene Oregon who got a 'driving while intoxicated" while he was on his bike back in the 70's. Technically he wasn't driving, however. At least this guy didn't have some Thai lass on the seat behind him. We need more drunks on bikes and less in cars and motorcycles!

Lucky he borrow a bike not motorbike which might cost his life, Don't drink and drive even a bike !

I am a keen day time cyclist and unhesitatingly I would say you would have to be more super alert on a bicycle than any other form of transport (including wearing a helmet) because other road users have no tolerance for you whatsoever. It's definitely ride to survive and its a war zone out thereph34r.png

I cycle in Bangkok - day and night - and intolerant motorists are the exception, not the rule in my experience. I second your 'war zone' opinion, however. It is one for everyone on the road and the casualty numbers testify to this. But it is a war fueled largely by alcohol, as with this self-inflicted wound.

Some cyclists have a chip on the shoulder such as this Survival Guide author. Do you agree with him?

Edited by MaxYakov

If you substitute "poodle", "stick" and "Korea", it's not even news. This story barely was, I'd never have clicked if instead of using the word "impaled" they'd said "Drunk person injurers themself". How do you impale yourself on a blunt object? The rubber bits were missing?

If you substitute "poodle", "stick" and "Korea", it's not even news. This story barely was, I'd never have clicked if instead of using the word "impaled" they'd said "Drunk person injurers themself". How do you impale yourself on a blunt object? The rubber bits were missing?

Looks like they were according to the hospital. "...a Doctor at the scene suggested to us the man would require an emergency operation upon arrival at Hospital to remove the foreign object from his leg".
Edited by MMarlow

Misleading title...

Wikipedia says : Impalement is the penetration of an organism by an object such as a stake, pole, spear or hook, by complete (or partial) perforation of the central body mass.

"Misleading title..."

Not at all, the man's leg was impaled on the bicycle pedal, a very accurate description. He wasn't a victim of impalement, the medieval method of torture, and neither did the report suggest that.

Pity about the Vespa.......love these bikes.....used to have one when youngthumbsup.gifdansan, on 07 Jan 2014 - 10:12, said:

I did the same once in Phnom Penh back in 2000.

Riding home pissed on my Vespa and hit a pothole, next thing I know I am on the floor with the 1960's Vespa laying on top of me.

Tried to get the bike off then noticed that I couldn't because the brake lever had become impaled in my calf muscle.

Still got the scar on my leg as the doctor that did the stitches in PP was hard of sight and had to get the nurse in to finish the stitches that he had totally ballsed up.

smile.png

Mmmm, Vespa GS, 1964, lovely.

I guess that the bike had those dangerous metal "rat-trap" pedals?

Things could however be a lot worse. For example when I was a boy a long time ago, a milkman was mentioned in the Manchester Evening News. He had been cycling to work when the front forks on his bicycle snapped. (I would guess that the bike was pre WW2) Anyhow he broke his neck and died as a result. Take care!