'Ride Apart' lists some of the worst advice 'experienced' motorcyclist often give

Spend enough years riding and youre going to accrue some wisdom. Visit any biker gathering and you and I are going to hear it, too. Is there anything old timers like to do more than dispense advice?

Worst Advice Given

Helmets Restrict Vision

This is the most-used reason for why older, experienced riders who should know better insist on not wearing a helmet. The thing is, its utterly untrue. Humans are only capable of using 90 degrees of their vision to either the left or the right, while the minimum legal standard for helmet vision sits at 105 degrees in both directions 15 degrees more than we can see anyways. If a helmet restricts your vision up or down, it simply doesnt fit correctly.

Helmets Reduce Hearing

Wear a helmet in a quiet room and yeah, itll reduce your hearing. But, out on the road, the wind and engine noise make it so youll actually hear less at speed without a helmet than with one. Earplugs take this a step further; with them, the ambient noise (wind) is dampened, leaving you more able to hear important stuff like sirens, horns and screeching tires.

You Dont Need Gear If You Know How To Ride/Crash

Accidents can happen to anyone. How is skill going to help you if a tire blows out or the most common motorcycle accident a car pulls out in front of you too late to avoid. In that case, no super human feat of braking or turning is going to save you, youre going to go down.

And no, knowing how to fall is not a real thing. The forces involved in a motorcycle accident are extreme, way beyond those the human body evolved (which is a real thing) to handle. Our ancestors didnt have to deal with hitting a stationary object at 85 mph, then tumbling through the air to land in the middle of a busy highway full of other 85 mph objects. But, safety gear did, thats what its designed for. Wear it or face rapid natural selection.

http://rideapart.com/2014/01/best-worst-tips-given-long-term-motorcyclists/

• Like 2

One of my friends back in England lost control of his bike and slid along the tarmac. He lost so much tissue from his arm it had to be amputated above the elbow. It was a hot summer's day and he was wearing a T shirt. He'd still have two arms if he'd worn a jacket.

I don't disagree with this quote; Wear it or face rapid natural selection. I prefer to wear very little as is my choice, is it the wrong choice only time will tell!!

if you leave things to time regarding riding a bike naked, you end up in hospital my friend!

I don't disagree with this quote; Wear it or face rapid natural selection. I prefer to wear very little as is my choice, is it the wrong choice only time will tell!!

if you leave things to time regarding riding a bike naked, you end up in hospital my friend!

I don't disagree with you, I am now looking into some gear! for me it has to be light and stored easily on the bike! I've been riding bikes for over 40yrs and never been in hospital etc, that's not to say I don't think it can never happen, I am fully aware all the time an accident could happen, over confidence can be a killer!

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 1

I am rarely asked for advice and rarely give it in regard to what people should wear when riding. For around town I wear a 1/2 helmet and sunglasses. Out on the highway, Cordura jacket, light weight leather gloves and boots.....and jeans.

What you wear is up to you. smile.png

• Like 1

I am rarely asked for advice and rarely give it in regard to what people should wear when riding. For around town I wear a 1/2 helmet and sunglasses. Out on the highway, Cordura jacket, light weight leather gloves and boots.....and jeans.

That sounds more up my street! my local shop sells Kevlar jeans, I will be looking for a suitable comfortable jacket! cheers!

Wearing something similar now if going out

Good helmet, safety jacket, kevlar jeans, alpinestar mc shoes and some gloves. I could not do full leathers while im sure it would be better.

Wearing something similar now if going out

Good helmet, safety jacket, kevlar jeans, alpinestar mc shoes and some gloves. I could not do full leathers while im sure it would be better.

Yes that is what I will be going for, I have to be comfortable!!

Look slick I really don't know who you are and don't really care.I'm not going to argue about all of this stuff your saying.I'm trying to figure out why do this on Thaivisa ,instead of some motorcycle website?

Because this is the motorcycle part of Thaivisa and Thailand has its on specific problems when wearing protection.

Its different from where I come from and full leathers would be comfortable (most of the time)

• Like 1

Old rule for motorists: ATGATT (all the gear, all the time).

I flipped my Triumph over a couple years back in Spain. The bike just slid from under me in walking speed when breaking on a zebra. T-shirt, shorts, no gloves, but I had a helmet. Minimal damage to the bike (a couple of scratches, one broken signal), but I myself suffered from painful "asphalt rash" on both my knees, other thigh, hands and elbows and other shoulder. I would have avoided all of the pain if I just had my normal riding gear on.

Motorcycle + shorts + t-shirt, never again.

• Like 2

I flipped my Triumph over a couple years back in Spain. The bike just slid from under me in walking speed when breaking on a zebra. T-shirt, shorts, no gloves, but I had a helmet. Minimal damage to the bike (a couple of scratches, one broken signal), but I myself suffered from painful "asphalt rash" on both my knees, other thigh, hands and elbows and other shoulder. I would have avoided all of the pain if I just had my normal riding gear on.

Your post does not make any sense! you flipped your bike over at walking speed? What do you mean flipped over? normal walking speed is said to be 4 mph, for a bike this is virtually standstill, all the injuries you mention came from you falling off your bike whilst virtually not moving? can you explain a bit more?

• Like 1

Look slick I really don't know who you are and don't really care.I'm not going to argue about all of this stuff your saying.I'm trying to figure out why do this on Thaivisa ,instead of some motorcycle website?

This is the motorbike forum!!

Like Dogpoo I can't see it! Were you on a really steep hill?

I get what koo's saying - I went to Alicante a number of years ago to visit a friend and the roads there were constantly covered in a layer of dust that transformed Macadam's finest into something resembing a sheet of glass for riding on. Saw a few holiday makers go down at very low speeds because of the tyres just losing grip on the dust and down they went - of course all wearing shorts and tee's with the obvious resulting gravel rash...

I agree with the comments earlier about the kevlar jeans though...I took a tumble a few years ago wearing a pair of those Draggin Jeans...they were ripped apart by the time the dust had settled, but they did stop me from getting ripped up. I did take out the pads though (more comfortable that way...) so had a few more bruises than I otherwise might have had... I ride with similar jeans here thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Yes, unfortunately it certainly will. Have you ever crashed- low side or high side? You'll change your attitude once you've gone down.
  • Like 1

Yes, unfortunately it certainly will. Have you ever crashed- low side or high side? You'll change your attitude once you've gone down.

No I have never had a crash of any significance, that doesn't mean to say I believe I never will!!

• Like 1

There are 2 kind of bikers , the ones that had crashed and the ones that are going to crash . Rusian Roulette to wear little protective gear .

The worst accident i had was insidie City , an unexpected ride on Saturday morning to office , not on kilometric routes. You should see how the jacket and globes where after the crash.....

There are 2 kind of bikers , the ones that had crashed and the ones that are going to crash . Rusian Roulette to wear little protective gear .

The worst accident i had was insidie City , an unexpected ride on Saturday morning to office , not on kilometric routes. You should see how the jacket and globes where after the crash.....

What are globes?

Forum rules do apply to the Bikes in Thailand forum:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Posts in violation of the above forum rules have been removed.

What are globes?

Hmmm...let me think...tongue.pnglaugh.png

(gloves?)

Edited by funcat

I get what koo's saying - I went to Alicante a number of years ago to visit a friend and the roads there were constantly covered in a layer of dust that transformed Macadam's finest into something resembing a sheet of glass for riding on. Saw a few holiday makers go down at very low speeds because of the tyres just losing grip on the dust and down they went - of course all wearing shorts and tee's with the obvious resulting gravel rash...

I agree with the comments earlier about the kevlar jeans though...I took a tumble a few years ago wearing a pair of those Draggin Jeans...they were ripped apart by the time the dust had settled, but they did stop me from getting ripped up. I did take out the pads though (more comfortable that way...) so had a few more bruises than I otherwise might have had... I ride with similar jeans here thumbsup.gif

That was exactly what happened to me - sheets of glass as the streets are. It was early morning, so some morning moisture added to the mix. As I said, I was approaching a zebra at an intersection, going a bit downhill, when I saw a van approaching at high speed. I was literally riding walking speed, but breaked heavily to avoid collision, and the bike just slid from under me. It stopped within 2 meters and so did I, but that drag was enough for my skin with shorts and t-shirt. With any more speed i would have hit the van and probably would not be here to report the incident...

That was exactly what happened to me - sheets of glass as the streets are. It was early morning, so some morning moisture added to the mix. As I said, I was approaching a zebra at an intersection, going a bit downhill, when I saw a van approaching at high speed. I was literally riding walking speed, but breaked heavily to avoid collision, and the bike just slid from under me. It stopped within 2 meters and so did I, but that drag was enough for my skin with shorts and t-shirt. With any more speed i would have hit the van and probably would not be here to report the incident...

There's a lot to be said for dual purpose type bikes/tyres on roads like that I guess, but at the end of the day, even they go down too, so it all comes back to the gear you wear.