Any advice for preparing old wood for use in new house?

FACTOR

I'm building the upper floor of our new house with wood which has been taken off of older wooden houses, i.e. recycling the wood.

Can anyone give me some advice about how to prepare the wood?

Sand each piece of wood first?

Treat with anti-termite "paint"? (although I'm told termites will not be such a problem as the wood is old and dried)

Plug holes with putty?

The builder wants to put in the old wood first and then treat it. E.g. he wants to lay the floor and then sand it, plug the holes and paint it with varnish etc... .

Any advice?

Thanks

we just did the same thing - our top floor is all teak and redwood.

Our carpenter first used a planner (not a hand held one but one you feed wood through) to square the wood and cut it roughly. then sanded down with a belt sander, then routed for a tongue and groove fit.

The floor was teak so no termite issues but the frame was redwood (30 years old) and they painted it all with Chandrite.

Once the floor is in, was sanded down with an industrial sander. You should check to see who is responsible for the hole/crack filling. The floor sander/varnisher generally only fills small holes using colored dust. We had our carpenter fill it in using the saw dust from the same wood to match the colour and then let the varnisher fill the small holes.

Incidentally, the floor was both glued and screwed into the frame.

trust that helps