English Tourists wearing Bikinis at Wat Phra Singh

hiso1956

Aren't there murals in that temple of local lasses walking around topless. Definitely in a Nan temple. Maybe the English lasses thought they were being conservative laugh.png

Wat Phumin, Nan

post-99758-0-04618900-1389090807_thumb.j

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 2

Aren't there murals in that temple of local lasses walking around topless. Definitely in a Nan temple. Maybe the English lasses thought they were being conservative....

Wat Phumin, Nan

800px-Peinture_murale_Wat_Phumin2,_Nan.JPG

And i saw a mural in an egyptian cave about a boy being sacrificed to appease some gods.

What's that got to do with the price of eggs at Rimping supermarket?

Aren't there murals in that temple of local lasses walking around topless. Definitely in a Nan temple. Maybe the English lasses thought they were being conservative....

Wat Phumin, Nan

800px-Peinture_murale_Wat_Phumin2,_Nan.JPG

And i saw a mural in an egyptian cave about a boy being sacrificed to appease some gods.

Northern Thailand was topless until 1920.

• Like 1

Aren't there murals in that temple of local lasses walking around topless. Definitely in a Nan temple. Maybe the English lasses thought they were being conservative laugh.png

Wat Phumin, Nan

attachicon.gif800px-Peinture_murale_Wat_Phumin2,_Nan.JPG

Times have changed.

I remember many years ago seeing a two frame cartoon in Fiji which, in the first scene showed a Missionary arriving on the shore, waving a crucifix and ordering the "Natives" to cover up.

Second scene showed some Tourists near naked on the beach and being confronted by some "Natives" asking THEM to cover-up.

• Like 1

Probably, the same girls will be going drinking tonight and file a rape report tomorrow with the police.

They are the type that have No Respect for anyone or anything.....including themselves!

What a foolish remark.....They're kids on holiday and the thought probably didn't even cross their minds. Is this all Thailand has to worry about?

• Like 1

Probably, the same girls will be going drinking tonight and file a rape report tomorrow with the police.

They are the type that have No Respect for anyone or anything.....including themselves!

What a foolish remark.....They're kids on holiday and the thought probably didn't even cross their minds. Is this all Thailand has to worry about?

I think tourists have the obligation to inform themselves about local customs and traditions. I have worked in tourism for 30 years but I am not happy with the "I-have-paid-for-my-holiday-so-I-can-do-what-I-want" mentality. Would they visit the Vatican dressed like that? Me thinks not.

There's nothing foolish about the remark at all.

First, they're not "kids".

Second, if that's the kind of holiday they wanted, they should have gone to Pattaya.

• Like 2

Wat Phumin, Nan

attachicon.gif800px-Peinture_murale_Wat_Phumin2,_Nan.JPG

But that was before the Christian missionaries arrived. biggrin.png

David

I believe topless went out after a royal personage attended school in Britain, circa 1920.

Respect???? Am i the only person who visited that funny temple in Chiang Mai full up of sculptures of Mickey Mouse, Pluto, Goofy, etc...

If they are their self the first to "disrespect" their "values", how could you expect anyone else or a tourist to take them seriously ???

• Like 2

I think tourists have the obligation to inform themselves about local customs and traditions. I have worked in tourism for 30 years but I am not happy with the "I-have-paid-for-my-holiday-so-I-can-do-what-I-want" mentality. Would they visit the Vatican dressed like that? Me thinks not.

Maybe they did inform themselves about local customs and traditions by watching that famous video of a certain member of a certain family we can't discuss, and his topless wife at a birthday party for his dog.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to get embarrassed by this sort of behaviour, but not anymore. If the locals want to be embarrassed or anyone else for that matter then let them go ahead and if necessary do what they feel they need to do, report it etc....up to them.

I've seen too many disrespectful Thai girls in Buddhist situations, who REALLY should know better,