Burning fire all around

DinoSabanovic

It's sugar cane harvesting season guys, from now until Songkran. The sugar cane fields are burned the night before they are harvested to get rid of the dead foliage and unwanted varmints. It's then cut the next day, loaded and taken to the mill. The fields are then raked and the remainder is set on fire again. I live in the middle of sugar cane fields and it's a 24/7 operation until it's harvested. Not only smoke, but black soot that turns everything black when there is any dew in the air. To the Thais, the smoke and soot means that there is money in the air. It can be harvested without burning but is more labor intensive if cutting it by hand and not using a combine. We, and most around, us burn and cut by hand since the fields are relatively small and it produces jobs.

--------------------

In areas that grow Sugar Cane it is burned just before the Cane is cut. for harvesting.

That kills off such insects as Spiders, Tarantulas, and such and drives away the snakes that often live in the Cane fields also.

It also makes the cane easier to cut. Without burning the fields first the Cane cutters won't go into the fields.

To many creepy-crawlies that will bite them when they try to cut the Cane.

The Cane itself has so much sugar in it that the stalks don't burn.

The leaves may burn, but that's not important, it the Sugar Cane stalks that are wanted by the Sugar Mill.

From 1973 until 1975 I lived and worked in a Sugar Cane growing area in Puerto Rico ..... and every year just before Cane harvesting/cutting time they always burned the fields first.

At least that is what the custom was in 1973 and 1974 in Puerto Rico ..... may no longer be done .... but it was then.

Cane cutters? burning the fields?

That went out many years ago.

• Like 1

It's sugar cane harvesting season guys, from now until Songkran. The sugar cane fields are burned the night before they are harvested to get rid of the dead foliage and unwanted varmints. It's then cut the next day, loaded and taken to the mill. The fields are then raked and the remainder is set on fire again. I live in the middle of sugar cane fields and it's a 24/7 operation until it's harvested. Not only smoke, but black soot that turns everything black when there is any dew in the air. To the Thais, the smoke and soot means that there is money in the air. It can be harvested without burning but is more labor intensive if cutting it by hand and not using a combine. We, and most around, us burn and cut by hand since the fields are relatively small and it produces jobs.

--------------------

In areas that grow Sugar Cane it is burned just before the Cane is cut. for harvesting.

That kills off such insects as Spiders, Tarantulas, and such and drives away the snakes that often live in the Cane fields also.

It also makes the cane easier to cut. Without burning the fields first the Cane cutters won't go into the fields.

The leaves may burn, but that's not important, it the Sugar Cane stalks that are wanted by the Sugar Mill.

From 1973 until 1975 I lived and worked in a Sugar Cane growing area in Puerto Rico ..... and every year just before Cane harvesting/cutting time they always burned the fields first.

At least that is what the custom was in 1973 and 1974 in Puerto Rico ..... may no longer be done .... but it was then.

unless i was dreaming, but they been doing it for a week now in my area.had to sweep my balcony everymorning for the black sut.

but it will be over soon till next year.

1) Rice fields must be burned after harvest before the next planting. The rice "stubble" does not break down fast enough and burning it makes planting possible.

Whenever I see a rice field that has been burned (which is most days as I live in the rice fields), the stubble is what remains. Guess they can't even do that right whistling.gif

Plus, we need to weigh up the cost to the population getting respiratory problems against a small increase in rice production. And seeing that rice will probably rot in warehouses due to the rice pledging scheme, it's time for a CRACKDOWN on the burning.

Yes burn the household rubbish.

I do it twice a week on average.

Around 6pm.

What a hero. Hope you recycle as much as possible. Glad you don't live near me bah.gif

What do you suggesst I do smartass,?

Carry all my rubbish on a motorcycle.

I have no refuse collector,nor do my neighbours.

I am also thankful you don't live near me.

--------------------

Not in Thailand! As I said, I live in the middle of sugar cane the last house on a dirt road. As I am writing I can see the fire, in the distance, of the cane field that will be harvested tomorrow. We grow cane and it is harvested this way. A 10 wheel tandem truck and cane loader just went down the road to load what was cut today. It's a 24/7 operation. It's smokey, dirty and at times noisy, with electrical and phone outages due to broken wires from the overloaded trucks.There are very few combines used in the area where I live as most of the fields are small. The migrant camps, rusty used roofing enclosures with no kitchen or bathroom facilities, have been occupied and will be there until just before Songkran. It obvious that you are not familiar with the ways of rural Thailand. There is no garbage collection, most of the trash is burnt and the plastic and bottles collected and sold to a recycler that comes by once a month, but some just throw their trash on the side of a cane field on a deserted road. I built my house 15 years ago and little has changed since. So you're telling me that I'm FOS, but I live with it everyday and wouldn't trade it for anything!

Yes burn the household rubbish.

I do it twice a week on average.

Around 6pm.

What a hero. Hope you recycle as much as possible. Glad you don't live near me bah.gif

What do you suggesst I do smartass,?

Carry all my rubbish on a motorcycle.

I have no refuse collector,nor do my neighbours.

I am also thankful you don't live near me.

Don't use the word smartarse if you are looking for a reasoned response. Our family of four+ dogs and a cat takes three medium sized bags of stuff to the dump every week. We compost a lot and let the neighbours recycle our beer cans and plastic. You could do something similar if you wanted to.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

--------------------

I don't know where you live, but burning the sugarcane fields here is still going on all the time at harvest. About 6 weeks ago, the whole village had to rally together to put out fires because of the burning. Luckily, the wind changed, or it could have been much worse.

Cooked.

I didn't come to Thailand to be a recycling nut.

My restaurant dumps all its waste,(including toilets) into the river.

As it is a floating restaurant that is the norm,why should I be any different than the locals.

I live in BKK and also smell fires every night. I can see the smoke in the air around me under the streetlights. I thought they burned against the cold but it is not cold anymore. I live in a nice new moobaan but behind the walls live the locals/construction workers who make the fires. This is Thailand.

Cooked.

I didn't come to Thailand to be a recycling nut.

My restaurant dumps all its waste,(including toilets) into the river.

As it is a floating restaurant that is the norm,why should I be any different than the locals.

Well the locals are allowed to bonk girls barely out of puberty while farang aren't anymore, are you going to cry unfair?

Maybe those of us with a higher moral standard should try to set a decent example - is it really going to affect your profits that much to do the right thing?

And you KNOW when they do start enforcing decent environmental regs, you're going to be hoisted from the highest pole as a different kind of example, might as well get ahead of the curve. . .

The burning of trash, grass, and whatever is disgusting. I have lived in a beautiful northern little village for 13 years. I have never burned garbage or grass; only a "campfire" sometimes so we can keep warm etc. As a teacher, I proudly compost for my garden, and recycle and "show it off" to my neighbours. Burning is totally unnecessary and stupid. Children and elders have annual respiratory problems during the dry season; the the smoke especially with breeze contaminats freshly laundered clothes drying and clean homes. I asked a wealthy neighbour why she is burning on the ski one morning and mentioned that it is unhealthy and not polite. Of course all she could say was "mai bpehn rai" and continued. People that burn their garbage - especially plastics are stupid, ignorant, lazy, impolite, shortsighted, rude and perhaps all of the above. Burning is totally not necessary. It is easier to not burn. (cough cough cough). Recycle, compost, and feel better that you are not contributing to Thailand's worsening air pollution (and garbage) problem. smile.png)) and hey, I think I checked some years ago, and burning is actually illegal! - but "mai bhen rai nakhrap!"

Finally someone with brain. I agree 100%

• Like 1

If it's someone that cares about the environment (even if only Thailand's environment) then I'm sure they'd like you to not dump your untreated waste into the water.

And someone sold my armour for scrap then ate my horse. . .