Chiang Mai to Vientiane by bus - question about Udon Thani bus station.

Im about to go to Vientiane to get a ED visa. My question is about Udon Thani bus station.

I remember the last time I did this some 3 or 4 years ago that once I arrived on a bus at Udon Thani bus station from Chiang Mai, I then was taken to a different bus station in Udon Thani before then taking that bus to somewhere near the friendship bridge.

A friend of mine tells me I do not need to go to that 2nd bus station and its possible to get a bus direct from the station that the Chiang Mai bus will drop me off at.

Anyone know if this is true and perhaps if there some reason for not doing it the more direct way ?

Thanks in advance.

I arrived at the station and just asked the guys hanging around is there a bus to Nong Khai in Thai. They said yes. I took the bus, which was slow and stopped all the time, but I arrived about 50 minutes. There are people always looking to make money of you for something you can do yourself. Such as filling in the forms for the Loas visa and in Loas the Thai visa. Keep your hands in your pockets and just do it yourself...........saves money for whatever you want

• Like 1

I think his question is part of the research so he knows the answer. Problem is - sometimes you ask and they might say "no bus" hoping to get hired for a private transport. Better to have multiple answers to find the real truth.

Edited by KED
  • Like 1

I think his question is part of the research so he knows the answer. Problem is - sometimes you ask and they might say "no bus" hoping to get hired for a private transport. Better to have multiple answers to find the real truth.

I arrived early about 7am in the morning there were buses going to Nong Khai on an hourly basis. They were the shabby disco/karaoke buses but who cares. Plus the frequent stop as well as a stop so everyone could have breakfast but for 30 baht it will take you almost to the border. From there you will need to jump into a songtow or tuk-tuk to get to the check point/immigration office. So expect to pay at least 150 from the bus station to Immigration office/check point. Good luck!

• Like 1

There is an excellent UDON forum that you will find if you GOOGLE it They will be able to tell you. As I recall, there are actually 3 bus stations in Udon so easy to be confused. The bus station nearest the Central shopping mall usually has buses to most destinations.

The bus station in the center of Udon is called ("bo ko sor") Number 1.

The bus station on the western periphery of town is the Number 2.

Most buses to Nong Khai AND the international bus to vietiane leave from number 1.

Buses to Vietiane require you to have a Lao visa - as they would not want to wait for you to clear immigration.

The 45 bht bus is the express to Nong Khai - leaves about 8 x a day and takes about one hour max, while the local bus (many stops, crowded)

is about 30 bht and to be avoided.

• 11 months later...

I can't speak to the bus station in the center of Udon Thani, but we took an overnight bus from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai and stopped in Udon Thani, on the periphery of town (I believe this is Bus Station #2) where we switched buses early in the morning before continuing to Nong Khai.

We did not need to physically go to both bus stations, but for some reason it was deemed prudent to switch buses.

Read more here, good luck!