Should I Cancel my Trip to Bangkok?

Jonathan Fairfield

Hi
This is my first post here, so welcome everybody smile.png
I have a question - is it possible, that the main tourist attractions may be closed on 2.02 - for example, Golden Buddha, China Town or Dusit?
Someone mentioned that the sale of alcohol may be banned, in which day can be so?
30.01 in the morning I'm flying to Chiang Mai, back 01.02 and both the first and the second February I like to walk around Bangkok. 2.02 in the afternoon I plan to drive to Pattaya (from the area of ​​Patpong).
Can you suggest anything?
It is not my first trip to Thailand, but the first during Election wink.png

I live a few hundred yards from Democracy monument where all the protest speeches are being made and its being covered in the world media as being controlled access with frantic protesters - Its not anything like. There are lots of Thai families here camped out simply enjoying the free entertainment (90% of the time Democracy monument simply has bands and artists playing to the crowds). Many people here just seem to be here for this good time - Its a bit of excitement in a less than exciting life for most and most are not really up for much more. This might change, but everything right now is like a big carnival - So there is little to be worried about in the eye of the protest - Even at the center shown in the world media.

However it does just takes a spark to change this and no one can predict anything before it might happen.

If its safety you are concerned about - If things stay as there are (no guarantees) - You will not be faced with angry mobs looking for targets, but fun going Thais with whistles and clackers having a good time in a festival atmosphere - Probably will add to the enjoyment of your holiday, not distract from it.

If you are only concerned about travel restrictions and movement options - No one can predict what will happen on the day and I even doubt this has really been thought out in detail by the protest leadership, but I can not see a problem. Everyday since the start of the protests I regularly travel around the area still pretty easily and freely.

The places that you mention you wish to visit on foot (or tuc tuc or even bus) - Its really not a problem (and the current situation for this is unlikely to change). Buses are a bit harder to find since a number have had to re-route their journey, but other than that you will get to the tourist areas you mention - just slightly less fast than normal.

Just to give you a sense of the feeling at the center of this - Last weekend at the time of the most important speech of the night was about to begin - This coincided with a premiere league football kickoff for one of the better matches (can not remember which, since I watch so much football I get confused) - Most of the outside sit on a box local (Thai only) bars that had a TV's on for the game suddenly got crowded out just at the point of the start of the speech at Democracy monument - All standing, sitting or hovering around the TV (now being switched channels from the protest coverage and onto the football channel) each of the protesters were togged out with their freedom T-shirts and Thailand flags and whistles etc but actually preferring to watch the more important even of the night - A good football match. This kind of said a lot about the underlying passions of the people here and priorities - They are currently not dangerous.

Obviously the heightened excitement and the expectations that will lead up to the date might turn this into something its is not currently - If I was a betting man however I would guess 90% sure nothing much will change (apart from the headlines in the news) over the days that you are actually here - It might even improve your time here.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, thank you very much for a long answer :)

But still two more things:

I have a question - is it possible, that the main tourist attractions may be closed on 2.02 - for example, Golden Buddha, China Town or Dusit?
Someone mentioned that the sale of alcohol may be banned, in which day can be so?

If you're not already in Thailand I'd advise you to cancel any plans you have to fly into Bangkok. Go to the Philippines instead.

If you're already in Thailand I'd advise you to go to Bangkok.

[/quot

e]. Bill not so smart why would you recommend to go to Bangkok.Go to Pattaya there still waiting for their high season, I will be back on the 18th and have no worrys about doing so.

"I live a few hundred yards from Democracy monument where all the protest speeches are being made and its being covered in the world media as being controlled access with frantic protesters - Its not anything like. There are lots of Thai families here camped out simply enjoying the free entertainment (90% of the time Democracy monument simply has bands and artists playing to the crowds). Many people here just seem to be here for this good time - Its a bit of excitement in a less than exciting life for most and most are not really up for much more. This might change, but everything right now is like a big carnival - So there is little to be worried about in the eye of the protest - Even at the center shown in the world media.

However it does just takes a spark to change this and no one can predict anything before it might happen.

If its safety you are concerned about - If things stay as there are (no guarantees) - You will not be faced with angry mobs looking for targets, but fun going Thais with whistles and clackers having a good time in a festival atmosphere - Probably will add to the enjoyment of your holiday, not distract from it.

If you are only concerned about travel restrictions and movement options - No one can predict what will happen on the day and I even doubt this has really been thought out in detail by the protest leadership, but I can not see a problem. Everyday since the start of the protests I regularly travel around the area still pretty easily and freely.

The places that you mention you wish to visit on foot (or tuc tuc or even bus) - Its really not a problem (and the current situation for this is unlikely to change). Buses are a bit harder to find since a number have had to re-route their journey, but other than that you will get to the tourist areas you mention - just slightly less fast than normal.

Just to give you a sense of the feeling at the center of this - Last weekend at the time of the most important speech of the night was about to begin - This coincided with a premiere league football kickoff for one of the better matches (can not remember which, since I watch so much football I get confused) - Most of the outside sit on a box local (Thai only) bars that had a TV's on for the game suddenly got crowded out just at the point of the start of the speech at Democracy monument - All standing, sitting or hovering around the TV (now being switched channels from the protest coverage and onto the football channel) each of the protesters were togged out with their freedom T-shirts and Thailand flags and whistles etc but actually preferring to watch the more important even of the night - A good football match. This kind of said a lot about the underlying passions of the people here and priorities - They are currently not dangerous.

Obviously the heightened excitement and the expectations that will lead up to the date might turn this into something its is not currently - If I was a betting man however I would guess 90% sure nothing much will change (apart from the headlines in the news) over the days that you are actually here - It might even improve your time here."

I would love to know what colour shirts the teams were wearing.

What was the score at half time?

Did anyone get sent off?

Edited by Sirius1935
  • Like 1

I have been in Bangkok for the last three or four coups and by the way, I think there have been 23 coups since 1932, not 15. The 1991 coup was bad when Suchinda loosed the army on the protestors. Hundreds were gunned down in the streets and thousands rounded up and shot and buried in mass graves.

They usually follow the same pattern as this year with denial by the army that a coup is going to happen and tank movements, that we are told, have nothing to do with a planned coup.

They (the coups) usually happen a day or two after I arrive back in BKK. I am on a skiing holiday in Canada at the moment and I arrive back in BKK on 17th. I wonder if I miss this one.

Source: http://archive.worldhistoria.com/topic15715.html

I was not allowed to leave the guesthouse near Khao San road when the soldiers were shooting protestors in the neighborhood in 1991, tourists and travelers 'd have to be informed about that.

and I arrive back in BKK on 17th. I wonder if I miss this one.

So do I ... fancy a beer in the Lounge before we go and face the Tanks ... drunk.gif

Yes, sure. I land at 0910. I'll be the 63 year old guy about 5'11" wearing a flack jacket and a steel helmet, hiding my grey hair. Which might make me rather difficult to distinguish from the rest of the occupants of the airport on that day.

• Like 1

I have been in Bangkok for the last three or four coups and by the way, I think there have been 23 coups since 1932, not 15. The 1991 coup was bad when Suchinda loosed the army on the protestors. Hundreds were gunned down in the streets and thousands rounded up and shot and buried in mass graves.

They usually follow the same pattern as this year with denial by the army that a coup is going to happen and tank movements, that we are told, have nothing to do with a planned coup.

They (the coups) usually happen a day or two after I arrive back in BKK. I am on a skiing holiday in Canada at the moment and I arrive back in BKK on 17th. I wonder if I miss this one.

Source: http://archive.worldhistoria.com/topic15715.html

I was not allowed to leave the guesthouse near Khao San road when the soldiers were shooting protestors in the neighborhood in 1991, tourists and travelers 'd have to be informed about that.

I was staying at the Dusit Thani, watching the students being mown down by the army on T.V.

We flew straight into the coup and were not told a thing by our company or by Air Traffic Control. One of my stewardesses had phoned her mother during the flight using the onboard pay phone and had told me, so I was forewarned but told to continue to BKK and land anyway!

• Like 1

Actually, Australia hasnt changed its travel advisory - its been 'High degree of caution' for at least the past year due to the unrest in the far south. The advisory mentions avoiding crowds in Bkk but the actual advisory level is the same. Im only speculating but I think if you didnt have the southern unrest they may downgrade it even with the Bkk demos.

So do I ... fancy a beer in the Lounge before we go and face the Tanks ... drunk.gif

You owe me a beer David...and I am collecting quick before you have to rush to the hospital! :lol:

• Like 1

Ok, thank you very much for a long answer smile.png

There are no current plans to close any of the three locations that you mention - Unlikely to do so - This is not about tourism - Its about stopping of Government offices functioning. The only reason that these places might you mention will be unavailable is is the situation turns into something other than peaceful.

As I said in my last post Only my guess, so nothing official here 90% nothing much will change on the day. I would say for your needs it is 99.9% unlikely that there would be any 'planed' closures attempted.

- Golden Buddha there is no strategic reason to do so (just more hassle than normal to get there, but easily reached on foot) since it is closest to Democracy monument and there are crowds to go slower than normal.

Dunsit - Not sure if you are going to the zoo or the palace here, but either would not be a target for protest or closure - Dunsit and Golden Buddha would almost be seen as disrespectful since one is a religious place and the other is the residence for Royalty - so not strategic or likely to have any targeted action and certainly would not be closed by government direction - 99% likely to be open.

As for China town - Not sure how you can close down china town since its a wide and large area with many small alleys and pockets that run off from the main road - It would take huge resources and some more to target and close this space - And what would the protesters achieve by doing this - probably restricted access to noodle soup and Chinese fabric - This is very unlikely attempted closure being attempted or being successful it it were attempted.

Alcohol sales - There are no plans to ban this yet - And the closer we get to the date the more unlikely this will happen. If it does occur on the day - simply walk down Soi Rambuttri http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxh9MJMEgRA there will be a ton of places that will serve you alcohol even if there is a ban on the day - However the authorities will not be focusing their energies in enforcing any drinking bans on the day for the tourists - They have bigger issues to focus up.

- Enjoy your time here!
  • Like 1

Has any foreigner EVER been hurt during a coup or when civil disobedience is extant?

Yes. Not just hurt, but killed. Fabio Polenghi, for example.
But he was sctually a photojournalist, wasn't he? Tourists aren't typically taking the same risks. (But, then again, just because one is a tourist doesn't necessarily mean there won't be the inevitable few who involve themselves doing things they shouldn't be doing or going where they really shouldn't be I guess...) Edited by hawker9000

There are no current plans to close any of the three locations that you mention - Unlikely to do so - This is not about tourism - Its about stopping of Government offices functioning. The only reason that these places might you mention will be unavailable is is the situation turns into something other than peaceful.

As I said in my last post Only my guess, so nothing official here 90% nothing much will change on the day. I would say for your needs it is 99.9% unlikely that there would be any 'planed' closures attempted.

- Golden Buddha there is no strategic reason to do so (just more hassle than normal to get there, but easily reached on foot) since it is closest to Democracy monument and there are crowds to go slower than normal.

Dunsit - Not sure if you are going to the zoo or the palace here, but either would not be a target for protest or closure - Dunsit and Golden Buddha would almost be seen as disrespectful since one is a religious place and the other is the residence for Royalty - so not strategic or likely to have any targeted action and certainly would not be closed by government direction - 99% likely to be open.

As for China town - Not sure how you can close down china town since its a wide and large area with many small alleys and pockets that run off from the main road - It would take huge resources and some more to target and close this space - And what would the protesters achieve by doing this - probably restricted access to noodle soup and Chinese fabric - This is very unlikely attempted closure being attempted or being successful it it were attempted.

Alcohol sales - There are no plans to ban this yet - And the closer we get to the date the more unlikely this will happen. If it does occur on the day - simply walk down Soi Rambuttri http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxh9MJMEgRA there will be a ton of places that will serve you alcohol even if there is a ban on the day - However the authorities will not be focusing their energies in enforcing any drinking bans on the day for the tourists - They have bigger issues to focus up.

- Enjoy your time here!

Thanks! Now I'm a littlebit more calm :)

Has any foreigner EVER been hurt during a coup or when civil disobedience is extant?

But he was sctually a photojournalist, wasn't he? Tourists aren't typically taking the same risks. (But, then again, just because one is a tourist doesn't necessarily mean there won't be the inevitable few who involve themselves doing things they shouldn't be doing or going where they really shouldn't be I guess...)

Sure, totally- I was just answering the broad question on whether a foreigner had ever been hurt.

There's plenty of other examples- the Japanese tourist wearing a red shirt who got clubbed here- http://www.cbsnews.com/news/11-dead-500-wounded-in-thailand-clashes/

Or the six foreigners mentioned here- http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/106336/kiwi-reportedly-injured-thai-protests (Although if a remember correctly a few of them were working for foreign TV news stations, doing reports).

Don't get me wrong, I think the city is relatively safe and would only suggest people cancelled trips due to possible transport / traffic jam hassles rather than safety issues, but there's been plenty of examples of foreigners being hurt. Then again there was that poster on ThaiVisa who cheerfully went wandering through all the trouble spots back in 2010, taking photographs and posting them up, and he seemed to genuinely be enjoying himself amidst all the chaos.

Yes, sure. I land at 0910. I'll be the 63 year old guy about 5'11" wearing a flack jacket and a steel helmet, hiding my grey hair. Which might make me rather difficult to distinguish from the rest of the occupants of the airport on that day.

OH, well done ... you're the advanced scout.

I'll be coming under the cover of darkness ... the second wave.

BTW, at 63, you have hair ... thumbsup.gif ... hansum man you.

• Like 1

- Enjoy your time here!

Loads of really useful info here cheers.

What do you think the chances of a reasonable journey from Airport into Suk Soi 11 on Friday 31st Jan (its always pretty busy) and then away to Hua Hin on Monday morning by Taxi. I know it's hard to predict what will happen but is the Monday after elections back to norm. Also I thought it was a 48 hour alcohol ban all over for Elections.

- Enjoy your time here!

What do you think the chances of a reasonable journey from Airport into Suk Soi 11 on Friday 31st Jan (its always pretty busy) and then away to Hua Hin on Monday morning by Taxi. I know it's hard to predict what will happen but is the Monday after elections back to norm. Also I thought it was a 48 hour alcohol ban all over for Elections.

The Alcohol ban you refer to is for shops and is not for restaurants and bars.

Journey info = No idea since like every big city all have different dynamics for delays and not withstanding the lock-down it would be impossible to predict the time for travel even without any extra layer of stoppages.

Polenghi was a journalist who was reporting from the scene of the protests. He wasn't your average tourist.

- Enjoy your time here!

The Alcohol ban you refer to is for shops and is not for restaurants and bars.

Journey info = No idea since like every big city all have different dynamics for delays and not withstanding the lock-down it would be impossible to predict the time for travel even without any extra layer of stoppages.

Thank Spambot for the info. I'm new on here I tried to reply direct but it wouldn't let me. So if the bars and rests. are selling beer, the BTS is running

shops and tourists sites ok then no need to sidestep BKK. I can deal with traffic delays. Just hope it doesn't kick off too bad in the next few weeks for all you living out there.

• Like 2

Polenghi was a journalist who was reporting from the scene of the protests. He wasn't your average tourist.

Uh-huh, someone said that already. You asked if a foreigner had ever been hurt, not a tourist. I was giving you an example. And then I gave other examples in the follow-up post, like the Japanese tourist who was in the wrong place at the wrong time wearing the wrong colour shirt.

Not really sure what your point is though.

If you're not already in Thailand I'd advise you to cancel any plans you have to fly into Bangkok. Go to the Philippines instead.

that last line doesn't make much sence

or I read it wrong whistling.gif

No one read my post wrong. I'm discouraging tourists to come to Thailand, and encouraging any tourists already here to go to Bangkok so they'll have such a bad time they'll never come back...

Bill, that is not so Smart advice ... facepalm.gif

Whether my advice is smart of not depends on my motive. I'd give the same advice all tourists: Don't come, and if you do stay in Bangkok (because I don't live there)...

No doesn't make much sense, again I am flying in (if planes can land into Don Meaung) and need to go to Chonburi. Is there a "road" around this problem.

It makes sense if you know my motive. I'd give the same advice all tourists: Don't come, and if you do stay in Bangkok (because I don't live there)...

dear Billm your advise it's not smart at all.

I guess the poster doesn't visit the "bread and circus for plebs" areas and other places are with out any problem.

Or you don't like guests ?

I don't like tourists. I'd give the same advice all tourists: Don't come, and if you do stay in Bangkok (because I don't live there)...

• Like 1