Police Insist Non-Lethal Weapons Used Against PCAD

Lite Beer

Police Insist Non-Lethal Weapons Used Against PCAD

By Khaosod English

13891649541389165018l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai police once again insist that they had not employed any lethal weapons against PCAD protesters at the clash at Thai-Japan Stadium on 26 December 2013.

One policeman and one anti-government protester were shot dead, and scores of others injured, following the clashes, in which People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State attempt to storm the election registration venue held inside the Stadium.

There are reports of numerous gunshot injuries on both sides, and PCAD has accused the police of using live ammunition on the protesters, but the police have repeatedly rejected this accusation.

Pol.Lt.Col. Sarayuth Aroonchai, Chief of the Crowd Control Police, led members of the press to tour the police headquarters yesterday and demonstrated police weaponry reportedly used in the 26 December clashes.

The tour was meant to show how police had handled the protesters on that day, Pol.Lt. Col. Sarayuth said.

Police officers confront the the demonstrators by wearing protection suit, he said, adding that only two officers per police unit are responsible for the firing of tear gas and rubber bullets.

The use of rubber bullets was aimed to warn the protesters not to approach the police defence position, Pol.Lt.Col. Sarayuth told reporters. Furthermore, police did not aim these weapons directly at the bodies of the protesters, and they were fired only in open environment, according to Pol.Lt.Col. Sarayuth.

He also told reporters that tear gas used by police can be divided into two types; one for shooting, with approximately 50-150 metres range, and the other for throwing, with a range of no more than 25 metres, which operates in both smoke and powder forms.

Meanwhile, the liquid tear gas the police sprayed on the protesters contains food-dyeing colour substance, which is harmless to humans, according to Pol.Lt.Col. Sarayuth.

The riot police chief stressed that tear gas launchers cannot be loaded with M79 grenades as claimed by some protesters, since the calibre size of both weapons are different.

Reporters were later invited to observe the demonstration of tear gas and rubber bullet firing.

Additionally, Pol.Lt.Col. Sarayuth reiterated that black-uniformed individuals seen on top of the Ministry of Labour building during the 26 December clashes indeed belong to the Crowd Control Police. "All ten of them were instructed to detach their insignia, which makes them look like ′black-shirt′ men," Pol.Lt.Col. Sarayuth said.

PCAD has accused the police of employing the shadowy ′black-shirt′ militants to attack the protesters. Pol.Lt.Col. Sarayuth denied the allegation, and insisted that police officers stationed above the Ministry of Labour possessed no lethal weaponry.

Pol.Col. Kamtorn Uicharoen, chief of EOD unit, also told reporters that EOD police have combed the area around Thai-Japan Stadium after the clashes were resolved, and found many home-made explosive devices, such as large firecrackers, slingshots, ping-pong bombs, and booby traps filled with nails.

"These weapons can cause fatal harm," Pol.Col. Kamthorn said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE9URTJORGsxTkE9PQ==&sectionid=TURFd01BPT0=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-08

He also told reporters that tear gas used by police can be divided into two types; one for shooting, with approximately 50-150 metres range, and the other for throwing, with a range of no more than 25 metres, which operates in both smoke and powder forms.

I seem to recall a PAD rally where a person was killed by a tear gas canister that was fired at his head by police.

Saw on the news last night about bolt bombs, but one has to wonder why the news has just been released, and not for example ,when the Police Chief had to recant the Pork Pies from CAPO, same goes with the bullet casing found near the gate a week or so later. TIT.

• Like 1

In exasperation, with starkly conflicting forensics reports, a photo of men in black on the rooftop of the Labour building - later confirmed by the chief of police as being policemen - and now this frantic attempt to " prove " the weapons that were used in the clash two weeks after the fact in front of reporters, and to reframe the entire event from only one perspective. They may indeed be anxious to get this message across to the media. But everyone who watched these events from the recorded vantage point of the media - television - know what they saw, and they do not need the police's help to do so. What people saw was a gross overreaction by the police - without even getting in the area of rooftop sniper fire - that was shameful to local as well as international observers. If this is any kind of preview of what the police will be doing in the coming days, the public will be well advised to turn on the television, trust what they see, and tune out CAPO's increasingly incredulous talking points.

You have got to love their reasoning here..........

"Thai police once again insist that they had not employed any lethal weapons against PCAD protesters at the clash at Thai-Japan Stadium on 26 December 2013. Police officers confront the the demonstrators by wearing protection suit, he said, adding that only two officers per police unit are responsible for the firing of tear gas and rubber bullets." and of course all other officers had shield and batons.

But they consider them all non lethal, But...

Pol.Col. Kamtorn Uicharoen, chief of EOD unit, also told reporters that EOD police have combed the area around Thai-Japan Stadium after the clashes were resolved, and found many home-made explosive devices, such as large firecrackers, slingshots, ping-pong bombs, and booby traps filled with nails. "These weapons can cause fatal harm," Pol.Col. Kamthorn said.

The protestors weapon were lethal! Thai logic

Edited by waza

14 killed in Belfast by Rubber Bullets, mainly Children. Some Bullets are over 150mm in diameter. Non Lethal I think not.

150mm in diameter? I happen to know that measurement well unfortunately and doubt that anything of that size in diameter, (do you mean lenght), could be fired from any gun with rubber bullet. Maybe I have missed somehting here.

14 killed in Belfast by Rubber Bullets, mainly Children. Some Bullets are over 150mm in diameter. Non Lethal I think not.

150mm in diameter? I happen to know that measurement well unfortunately and doubt that anything of that size in diameter, (do you mean lenght), could be fired from any gun with rubber bullet. Maybe I have missed somehting here.

Diameter did not exceed 75mm (3 inches) although I believe it was less (2 to 2.5 inches)

Why detach insignia to look like black shirt men? That seems a strange and provocative thing to do.

it says; They detached their insignia, which made them look like "black shirt men".

So, the detachment of insignia ordered by command, resulted in, them looking like "black shirt men".

Nobody said they intentionally were ordered to detach their insignia, to make them look like "black shirt men".

That is just a conclusion you draw yourself.

What on earth do these police spokespersons expect people to believe, what do these police spokespersons take to induce their inane comments.

The very act of discharging a firearm of any type can result in both injury and a fatality if the person(s) on the receiving end is not wearing any protection.Tear gas can bring on heart failure, rubber bullets can and have killed. Spent tear gas canisters have caused both injury and death,

Yet strangely enough according to the police spokespersons their weapons were not really effective, more like cap guns, starting pistols exploding paper bags etc one must suppose.So why were such weapons both issued and used n the first place?

Indeed Thailand is the ''hub of creative spokespersons comments.'' ot damage public property

Or in plain English, ''yet more lies and bum covering maneuvers.''

"Tear gas can bring on heart failure, rubber bullets can and have killed. Spent tear gas canisters have caused both injury and death",

All protesters have to do to be safe is to rally in approved areas and to not damage public property. If protesters can do this the will never see a tear gas canister or rubber bullet. This is similar to the rules of engagement in civil stress in the UK. It's not rocket science.

What on earth do these police spokespersons expect people to believe, what do these police spokespersons take to induce their inane comments.

The very act of discharging a firearm of any type can result in both injury and a fatality if the person(s) on the receiving end is not wearing any protection.Tear gas can bring on heart failure, rubber bullets can and have killed. Spent tear gas canisters have caused both injury and death,

Yet strangely enough according to the police spokespersons their weapons were not really effective, more like cap guns, starting pistols exploding paper bags etc one must suppose.So why were such weapons both issued and used n the first place?

Indeed Thailand is the ''hub of creative spokespersons comments.'' ot damage public property

Or in plain English, ''yet more lies and bum covering maneuvers.''

"Tear gas can bring on heart failure, rubber bullets can and have killed. Spent tear gas canisters have caused both injury and death",

All protesters have to do to be safe is to rally in approved areas and to not damage public property. If protesters can do this the will never see a tear gas canister or rubber bullet. This is similar to the rules of engagement in civil stress in the UK. It's not rocket science.

Even in their camps the protestors are still victim to live fire and explosives

I found it rather astonishing as well, all I did was Google rubber bullet deaths in Belfast.

I found it rather astonishing as well, all I did was Google rubber bullet deaths in Belfast.

Wow, I just googled tear gas and a lot of deaths reported, many because of being hit by high velocity cannisters. They have even used known carcinegens as the solvent to aerate the solid tear gas compounds. You dont want to be anywhere near the stuff when it gets fired,

this has show that the black men in 2010 are police officers too

Certainly raises some questions.......

I don't see how it does at all. There were no "men in black" at the Thai-Japanese stadium. They were riot police on the building.

You must of missed the news, when the national Police Chief admitted that the men in black were police, funny that. He was lauded for being so truthful.

I searched and searched and I couldn,t find the 150 diameter again,so your probably correct that its the length. 40 mm diameter is the biggest I could see for sale. I,ve seen a round brought to Oz from Northern Ireland and it certainly looked lethal to me.