By Jupiter!

You can understand the LBA with Commie glass. I think at the present price point it's worth collecting.

Sadly I didn't have the luggage capacity to bring mine with me this time. I have the Jupiter 11A, Carl Zeiss Jena DDR MC 50mm f/1.8 Electric and CZJ DDR 135/3.5, a Helios 44M-4 and a Petri and a few others. M42 mount. Decided on a autofocus K-mount shooting year.

Another lens really worth a look is the Tair 11A. 135/2.8. Twenty blades (I think one version had 22 at some point). Bokeh beast . . .

tair-11-a-review-by-radojuva-2.jpg

Others to short list:

Jupiter 9 85/2

Helios 40-2 85/1.5

Mir-1 (not 1B) Brussels Grand Prix 1958

Helios 44M-7 MC 58/2

Quick edit: And don't forget the M42 mount Super Takumars. Although radioactive they are pretty great. A lot of new lenses can't compete because the toxicity of the old glass, leaded glass, radioactive thorium glass and wotnot can no longer be used in the manufacturing process. Lenses were also not made by accountants way back when.

Edited by MJP

The Tair seems to be fetching a minimum of 6,000 baht.

It has gone up a lot in the past two years and is not as available as it once was. Still worth it. Will retain or increase in monetary value over time.

Some Russian firm is remaking the Helios 40-2, but it's not as good as the old one. This lens too has rocketed in price, but you may be lucky.

One of the reasons Pentax is handy is the registry distance for M42 adapted lenses is correct for infinity focus.

They work well on the modern K-series digitals, although trying to get the adapter off can be a real nightmare. There's a locking spring involved and the removal tool is not particularly effective.

Mine is Kiev/Pentax rangefinder mount (will fit on my 1950 Kiev 2 rangefinder).

Pentax rangefinder?

Are you mixing RF and SLR screw mount lenses?

I mean putting an RF lens on a mount for an SLR lens?

Edited by tw25rw

Pentax rangefinder?

Not sure what you mean, but my default answer is "no".

I have a Kiev rangefinder which has a Kiev/Pentax rangefinder mount. I have an assortment of lenses for the Kiev (including now the Jupiter 11) and wanted to use those lenses on my M43 cameras. So I bought a Kiev/M43 adapter which is actually the front off an old Kiev mated to an M43 mount. I also have lenses in other threads so I also have and M42/M43 adapter, an M39/M43 adapter, and I used to have a very complex Contax G/M43 adapter before I sold it along with some Contax G lenses.

Nice tight DOF and bokeh ...... but it's not exactly compact! smile.png

Think I'll stick with my Mzuiko 45mm ..... too lazy to lose auto focus.

Yes, I like AF too and I'm not keen on the M42 to K-mount screw adapter. On the next upgrade I'll likely keep one camera as a permanent M42 adapted body. That's how much I hate trying to remove the adapter!!!

Pentax rangefinder?

Not sure what you mean, but my default answer is "no".

I have a Kiev rangefinder which has a Kiev/Pentax rangefinder mount. I have an assortment of lenses for the Kiev (including now the Jupiter 11) and wanted to use those lenses on my M43 cameras. So I bought a Kiev/M43 adapter which is actually the front off an old Kiev mated to an M43 mount. I also have lenses in other threads so I also have and M42/M43 adapter, an M39/M43 adapter, and I used to have a very complex Contax G/M43 adapter before I sold it along with some Contax G lenses.

Pentax never made a rangefinder that I'm aware of..

I thought you were using screw mount rf lenses on a mount designed for screw mount SLR lenses.. Which won't work..

Somebody should make a "full frame" digital camera sensor that can be slipped into these wonderful classic 35mm cameras to turn them into digital cameras. Battery and electronics could go where the film spool goes and thin sensor where the film tracks behind the lens.

Heresy maybe - but I'd buy one and convert a classic Leica.

Somebody should make a "full frame" digital camera sensor that can be slipped into these wonderful classic 35mm cameras to turn them into digital cameras. Battery and electronics could go where the film spool goes and thin sensor where the film tracks behind the lens.

Someone was doing that before, but in the 2001 financial slump, they lost funding..

Silicon Film

Someone is currently trying to raise money through crowd sourcing to develop another:

Edit: it looks like that effort failed to raise the money. I hope he, or someone else, keeps trying.

Edited by tw25rw
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just buy an M9 or the new M240! Style hasn't changed much and to try and convert say an

M3 would cost you more than buying a new digital Leica. Or....just shoot film & buy a damn

good scanner.

Edited by sunshine51

I thought it was just a sore throat and a headache but my LBA has returned.

Latest Communist acquisitions:

Tair-11A 135/2.8 (mint, £150 and possibly now my sharpest and at the same time finest bokeh lens, worth the money)
Helios 44M-7 58/2 (mint, £65)
Jupiter 11A 135/4 (mint, £35, to replace my present copy, the rear element is awful)
Jupiter 21M 200/4 (exc, £65)
Meyer Optik Orestor 135/2.8 (dunno, described as exc but we'll see, will get cleaned up if needs be because fairly rare now, £99)

Five legendary lenses which are tack sharp with great bokeh for less than some dull old plasticky modern AF lens.

With the big steady tripod set up, flucard and focus peaking, these old M42 primes are a joy to use now.

Tair-11A

12881519063_b347315d2e_b.jpg

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1