Thailand's educational spending highest in the world

webfact

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a teacher in my employ. OMG... dumb teaching dumber. Sorry but this as Scitt says.. The curriculum

It's the rote learning IMO. They know 2+2=4, they know 4+4=8, the know 8+8=16 but don't know what 16+16 equals because they have never been told the answer nor have they been told the method to solve it.

I know a lady with degree whose math is so bad that if she can't find a calculator I have to add up my own bill. Even with a pen and paper she doesn't know how to do it.

Where does the money go?!...I saw several "head masters" asking me to come to teach in their school...They had 3 cars each ( the last one was a new Toyota fortuner)...but no budget to pay for the teacher.

I met Thai "English"- teachers who graduated as "English teacher" but couldn't talk any English...They bought their title...

As long as corruption rules...nothing will change...

Personally I find anachronistic (and expensive!) the need of 3 different uniforms (gym, scout/army and normal day) with cleaned spare and the relative expensive and low quality shoes..

How a poor family can afford this expense?

And, IMHO, but just mine, uniforms at school are so much North Korea style...

I'm with you on the uniform. I have three sons and they can't

share gym or scout or school uniforms as they have their

names embroidered on the bloody things.

I dare to make a wager with you.

The cost of uniforms on one side of the table.

On the other side of the table the real cost of clothing more or less as ordained by the taste of the day

You still want to bet?

Thailand has an extremely high number of private schools, so this is not just a reflection on the gov't, although the Ministry of Education needs to take a very serious look at it's curriculum and how it is implemented. Especially how it is implemented.

More of the same is not needed.

Scott, please give examples of what is wrong with the curriculum.

You may be referring to Matayom level (where I have never taught), but from my experience there's not a lot of difference at Pratom level to what I taught back "over there."

"Study hours for Thai students are five times more than countries such as the US and Canada where students spend 600-700 hours in classes while Thai students 2,000-3,600 hours."

Lets look:

52 Weeks have a year.

12 weeks are vacation

40 weeks lectures * 5 days a week = 200 days

3600 / 200 = 18 hours per day spend in classes (from 8am morning to 2am after midnight)

2000 / 200 = 10 hours per day spend in classes (from 8am morning to 6pm)

average = 14 hours per day spend in classes (from 8am morning to 10pm)

average = 70 hours per week.

I do not know what they are doing in the classes, but I doubt the data base and the validity of data collection too.

In Ramkhamhaeng (the largest university in Bangkok) and generally in Bangkok,i see every day oodles of students on the streets,

- shopping, in cinemas, in restaurants and in the evening in discos and pubs.-

No way that they study day per day, spending 14 hours in classes.

20% of State Budget for education?

If this is true, than we have here maybe another rice school scam.

I taught a class at one of the "better" private schools in bkk... Believe me when I tell you this... They don't spend one hour out of the classroom studying. We were officially forbidden to give homework all the work was to be done in class. They had the nerve to try and do their other homework in my class, at that moment they were usually asked to leave the class and marked absent for the day.

Isn't this really the vilest corruption? Not only is this in the present tense, but it means the school-leavers in 20 years time are entering the market with the same aptitude as 12 year olds from countries who DO get a bang for their buck in terms of education, for example close neighbours Singapore. And then we wonder why people with different coloured shirts are throwing <deleted> at each other in the streets, while the smart ones are amassing enough cash to lend to the World Bank. Gotta love it here though!!!

• Like 1

....pathetic....

...and the saddest part is that Thai teachers are getting half the salary that a disproportionate 'element' is receiving.....

....for only a nominal difference in English or academic proficiency...

...and genuine NES teachers are getting all the blame....

(.also, I wonder how much the 'tablet fiasco'....contributed to this...)

Aside from the money, the classroom hours in the article don't seem to add up. USA public school students attend class for 1080 hours per year. That is essentially 9 months of 5 days a week, 6 hours a day. My Thai wife thinks she attended school about 10 months, 5 days a week, maybe 7 hours a day, which would be just 1400 hours. So I'm not sure where they are getting the 700 - 800 for USA, or the 2000 - 3600 hours of class for Thai students. Does anyone understand these classroom hours?

Are you saying the teacher can't add up?

Careful, they will give you an F

What a nonsense...

According to OESO the average of their 29 members is 6,2% of Gross Domestic Product, so 1.5 x as high as Thailand.

The highest EU public spending on education relative to GDP was observed in Denmark (8.7 % of GDP), while Cyprus (8.0 %), Sweden (7.3 %), Finland (6.8 %), Belgium (6.6 %) and Ireland (6.5 %)

see http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Educational_expenditure_statistics

wouldnt be surprized if it is the truth but it just goes to show how much of it is going into peoples pockets/bank accounts as it is certainly not getting through to the schools. Like most financial deals in this country the people suffer as the top dogs get to pocket most of the money, another reason Thailand needs to have honest government and open financial policies so the people can see exactly where akll this money is going..

says it all, can't add anything, except pissing against the wind

Something is very wrong with this article, I have no idea were this article came from and how true it is by stating that Thailand expends more money per student than USA, but according to CBS News, US Department of Education, here part of the Per student expenditures report:

The United States spent more than $11,000 per elementary student in 2010 and more than $12,000 per high school student. When researchers factored in the cost for programs after high school education such as college or vocational training, the United States spent $15,171 on each young person in the system — more than any other nation covered in the report.

That sum inched past some developed countries and far surpassed others. Switzerland's total spending per student was $14,922 while Mexico averaged $2,993 in 2010. The average OECD nation spent $9,313 per young person.

As a share of its economy, the United States spent more than the average country in the survey. In 2010, the United States spent 7.3 percent of its gross domestic product on education, compared with the 6.3 percent average of other OECD countries. Denmark topped the list on that measure with 8 percent of its gross domestic product going toward education.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Not a surprise really....

Firstly are they saying highest amount of money per student of percentage of GDP or something else - you can bet both the ministry and the press have got it wrong.

How does private education come into this equation?

However I guess the point is that Thailand spends a lot on education and doesn’t get a good return.

This must be down to a mix of the following

Administrative and policy-making incompetence, teaching incompetence and a vast lack of understanding of true educational methods and values. Parental ignorance and an industry obsessed with bits of paper rather than personel..........

Then add to this or even the cause of this - CORRUPTION - graft nepotism and some of the most corrupt practices I’ve ever had the displeasure to witness and secondary and tertiary levels, ........... what do they expect?

• Like 1

What a crock of brown stuff familiar to you all.

School=Biz

Product=Uniform Fancy School + Foreign Teachers

Cost= Loads a money Result some good photos and a head fulla nothing

Why?

SOCIAL PROMOTION

Kids all pass. No one fails and no one learns a high standard but on paper everone's Einstien's thanks parents fee time come back next year where we will lie to you again your kid did great little Jimmy good job :)

Brian washing 60%

Useless activities 39%

Actual learning 1%

Pass rate 110%

The land of smiles :)

• Like 1

A Thai university has burned this CD. Low scores in math and science are a true indicator of the educational level. It does not matter how much time a student spends in school but how much they learn. The Thais can pat themselves on the back but that is not going to educate the children only justify the poor educational system that is present.

wouldnt be surprized if it is the truth but it just goes to show how much of it is going into peoples pockets/bank accounts as it is certainly not getting through to the schools. Like most financial deals in this country the people suffer as the top dogs get to pocket most of the money, another reason Thailand needs to have honest government and open financial policies so the people can see exactly where akll this money is going..

True, very true. I have been teaching here 9 years. The money "spent" is not the thing, it's the whole attitude towards education. Yes, they study more hours, because they pay more. No, they don't actually learn anything. Discipline in a classroom is frowned upon. The staff will say "you're not a good teacher, you are too serious" .............attendance is abysmal, as is lateness. Grades are 'adjusted', all tests are multi-choice, if they weren't probably 99% would fail if they actually had to think of the answer. Age discrimination, they don't want experienced teachers, they want young backpackers because they look nice in the school photos. And of course so the Thai teachers can fix them up with a friend, or a family member. Strange how the directors have to pay to get their position !!!

Please note you sceptics, these are the findings of research carried out by Thailand's top university !

Additionally, please note, with all the perks, junkets and "seminars" those in the teaching profession benefit from, it could be true !

By now almost everyone of us knows the percentage of money getting lost due to corruption of every 100 baht the government spends. They are simply throwing money in a completely rotten system to fill their own pockets. Who will get education out of that? Maybe the sons and daughters of the MP’s studying overseas.