Cayote Mexican Convent Road

rak sa_ngop

Walked past Cayote on Convent Road a few days ago and saw that the place was TOTALLY gutted.

The owner of a nearby Mexican restaurant told me it was going to be become another Thai restaurant.

What happened?

Surely not just because they did not sell Heineken draft beer (my reason for not drinking there).

I know this restaurant for more than 4 years now, liked it at the beginning, but their quality in food went downhill over the last year and the had those annoying "all-you-can-eat" buffets permanently at the end, what probably brought in a lot "cheap charley's" and scared of the value customer. On the other hand, maybe "La Monita" at Ploenchit stole lots of Mexican food lovers too over the years...

Just my personal opinion and 2 Cents.

Edited by canardo

Personally I think it was Sunrise Tacos that busted Coyote. Sunrise is an incredibly successful chain that has opened up several new branches recently (they even expanded into Cambodia) and their food is always extremely fresh, tasty and well prepared, and is also very good value for money for the large portions you get. Sunrise Tacos is pretty much THE Mexican/American place to go to in Bangkok. This is one of my favourite BKK restaurants (though I normally only use the Suk 12 or Terminal 21 branches) and I would like to add that I'm not a shareholder of Sunrise Tacos. Coyote was never as good quality-wise, and their prices were much higher.

Personally I think it was Sunrise Tacos that busted Coyote. Sunrise is an incredibly successful chain that has opened up several new branches recently (they even expanded into Cambodia) and their food is always extremely fresh, tasty and well prepared, and is also very good value for money for the large portions you get. Sunrise Tacos is pretty much THE Mexican/American place to go to in Bangkok. This is one of my favourite BKK restaurants (though I normally only use the Suk 12 or Terminal 21 branches) and I would like to add that I'm not a shareholder of Sunrise Tacos. Coyote was never as good quality-wise, and their prices were much higher.

The only real 'incredible' thing about it...is the size of the owner.

thanks for that, i was wondering where the payoff was for starting this thread, just couldnt believe it was some random observation from some unconnected bystander.thumbsup.gifw00t.gif

pardon me while i go spray my crotch will eucalyptus.

Edited by Big Pinkie
  • Like 1

thanks for that, i was wondering where the payoff was for starting this thread, just couldnt believe it was some random observation from some unconnected bystander.thumbsup.gifw00t.gif

How suspicious of you...

You'd get off at the BTS at Phloen Chit, not Asoke. Head out exit 2. You'll see the big Language Express school (impossible to miss, it's name is written in huge letters). It's down the alley / road to the left of it (if you're facing it).

shapeimage_1.png

• Like 1

Sunrise tacos and subway...quality same same.....sick.gif

Where to get good quality mexican these days ?.... anywhere in sukhumvit.

You've gotta be joking. Subway is disgusting. You can even smell one from 30 paces. They all have the same unpleasant odour wafting out of them. Subway is the "healthy" (ahem) equivalent of McDonalds. Sunrise Tacos is in a totally different league and is probably the best Mexican you can get in BKK, unless you want to go to a "posh" Mexican restaurant (does such a thing exist?) and pay inflated prices for nice interior decor.

You've gotta be joking. Subway is disgusting. You can even smell one from 30 paces. They all have the same unpleasant odour wafting out of them. Subway is the "healthy" (ahem) equivalent of McDonalds. Sunrise Tacos is in a totally different league and is probably the best Mexican you can get in BKK, unless you want to go to a "posh" Mexican restaurant (does such a thing exist?) and pay inflated prices for nice interior decor.

Agreed

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

double that haha and raise you 1.....

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Coyote on Sukhumvit did close some months ago, so now sad to hear that the Convent branch is gone as well.

Both locations, and many other farang places around town, were/are owned/managed by the Odyssey group.

I was never a big fan of the food at either Coyote, but I did like their broad range of flavored margaritas, and their two for one happy hour prices on those, especially when the weather got warm.

The food is easy to replace, but I don't know where to find a comparable alternative for kiwi / banana / mango / etc etc. etc. margaritas.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Tacos and Salsa, all the way in (about 400m) Sukhumvit Soi 18, on the left, across from Town Lodge hotel. REAL Mexican food, not the American-Mexican hybrid that Sunrise is. I agree Sunrise had consistent quality and a good business model, but it's not real Mexican. Tacos and Salsa is the closest I've found to the real thing in Bangkok (Mexican owner/cook, btw). Great decor/ambience, too. Very small, though, so it often fills up. You'll be waited on by Thais (and the occasional Mexican) there, so if you need to explain anything in detail, you can speak Thai. In Sunrise it's getting to where you have to speak Tagalog to be understood...

Note that they're only open in the evening, not for lunch.

Agreed on premiss of Sunrise eating up business, but I think people are delusional if they think it is quality mexican food or a good price for it.

Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sad the good places all seem to fade. I miss good Mexican food almost as much as I miss my dog. And that's more than most people I know. Used to get good Mexican in Chiang Mai as well but it seems everyone is trying for quantity over Quality. I am in need of a Taco fix now I hate you all!

I was never a big fan of the food at either Coyote, but I did like their broad range of flavored margaritas, and their two for one happy hour prices on those, especially when the weather got warm.

The food is easy to replace, but I don't know where to find a comparable alternative for kiwi / banana / mango / etc etc. etc. margaritas.

Yeah, spot on John. The food was okay but the margaritas- and the wide variety- was great.

Are there any other Mexican restaurants in Silom?

Yeah, spot on John. The food was okay but the margaritas- and the wide variety- was great.

Are there any other Mexican restaurants in Silom?

Patty's Fiesta on the corner of Patpong I Soi.

Patty has been going strong for about 13 years now. Some may criticise the food, some may criticise the drinks, but it's the atmosphere that makes the place.

Mainly targeted at tourists with tourist prices, but she does get a lot of return customers.

I'm pretty sure that La Monita has a parked van set up downstairs and next to Gourmet Market in Siam Paragon these days?

Certainly a Tex-Mex place and I'm sure I only spotted it after reading about how good La Monita was on here,it certainly sounded good flicking through the menu but never got around to trying it!