UK visit for the first time in 7 years - what to do?

simon43

Why do you need to renew your driving license? You can drive in the UK on a Thai one for 1 year. Passport is a good idea as it's much cheaper than doing it from Thailand.

Valid UK DL + valid UK passport + UK birth certificate = freedom to open accounts in the UK.

And register your children as UK citizens and get them UK passports.

Without them you are completely buggered.

Edited by FiftyTwo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you need to renew your driving license? You can drive in the UK on a Thai one for 1 year. Passport is a good idea as it's much cheaper than doing it from Thailand.

Valid UK DL + valid UK passport + UK birth certificate = freedom to open accounts in the UK.

If by 'accounts' you are referring to bank accounts, you will still need a utility bill.

I returned back in April this year and even though I had several accounts that were still in use with another bank, the new one refused to allow me to open one without the utilitiy bill.

A stupid rule that seems to still be the norm.

I had a passport, driving license with my registered address and my birth certificate, but still had to wait for the perishing utility bill to reflect my status at that address.

If by 'accounts' you are referring to bank accounts, you will still need a utility bill.

I returned back in April this year and even though I had several accounts that were still in use with another bank, the new one refused to allow me to open one without the utilitiy bill.

I had a passport, driving license with my registered address and my birth certificate, but still had to wait for the perishing utility bill to reflect my status at that address.

Last year i opened a new bank account with a different bank ,was not asked for a utility bill .

Did you show them the full paper driving license (with your address on)...... or just the plastic card?

Natwest say DL is good for proof of address.

http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/g2/id-required.ashx

Barclays say DL is good for proof of address too.

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/Identificationforbankaccounts/P1242557966027

Edited by FiftyTwo

Did you show them the full paper driving license (with your address on)...... or just the plastic card?

Natwest say DL is good for proof of address.

http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/g2/id-required.ashx

Barclays say DL is good for proof of address too.

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/Identificationforbankaccounts/P1242557966027

I stand corrected, or rather, that old bat at the RBS needs a beating :)

• Like 1

You wont get anywhere unless you are registered with a GP, for which you need ID and a utility bill for your address.

ER etc will only give you "Emergency" help, the first question you will get is "who's your GP" ?

If you havnt been back for awhile, you are in for a shock, I go every year and still get shocked at the rapid changes but mostly by the dam_n cost of anything !

£108 for a bus ticket !

2 sandwiches and 2 bottles of water £10

Fish & chips £6.50

1 Bottle of water 500ml £1.20 ( 45 baht for 12 bottles in Thailand)

Drink the tap water its free !!

No its not - most places its metred, other places pay a flat rate fee. Not free at all - in fact, a few years back Thames sued a guy for collecting rain water in big vats and filtering it for his own use - they said it was their water!

But you CAN drink it.