Restaurants in Cambodia

Sheryl

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Olive Olive in Sihanoukville

Right at the Golden Lion's roundabaout.

The place has a new owner since late last year/early this year.

I like to drop by for a pizza magherita when I feel the need for a pizza. Actually, that place makes me go more often. For only USD 5 you get a 30cm pizza, your water, and warm bread with olive oil and djadjik (tzaziki) as a free starter.

The pizza is perhaps the best I had in SHK and would survive easily competition in Europe. The place has a limited but well-received menu and does good business also at this time in the low season which is a good sign. You can see how your pizza is produced also the kitchen is visible which is reassuring.

it is not fine dining and perhaps "not the best in the world/cambodia/asia" but it is a very decent deal and much better than other places in town.

Edited by mike2011

Wat Bo neighborhood, just one block south of the main highway to PP.

Across the street from another place that has excellent fusion food, Golden Dynasty Hotel.

I loved Hawaii, because I could have a very nice pizza and a huge salad for less than $5 US.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hawaii-Pizza-House-Restaurant-Siem-Reap/216671355059684

PP Street 105, 15A

Hidden behind this prestigious address is nothing less than a nice Vietnamese Noodle shop. 5000 riel (USD 1.25) will buy you a well-filled bowl of well-cooked beef and noodles with onions, sprouts etc, a plate of mint and other green stuff. On the side you will have your complementary tea.

The place is located close to the Capitol bus stop/guesthouse. Walk 1 block down and then make a left towards Moningvon, either one or two short blocks further and you're at the corner with the noodle shop and the large tree. Across the street is a defunct ktv.

The owners are very nice and observe strict rules concerning their regulars. I am not allowed to eat soup between 12.30 noon and say 2.30 pm. The reason? Well, they claim that the soup is not that good anymore and I should (speak: have ) to wait until the new is rolled out. Same strict rules apply to their tasty spring rolls. Some other dishes are also available but it is the soup that draggs in the people from the neighborhood and those motobike taxi drivers. Very few if any foreigners frequent the place and it depends on the neighborhood which is a good thing.

The food is very good and it is a deal difficult to beat.

Edited by mike2011

• 4 months later...

Phnom Penh: Chat and Chew (Street 172) and The Exchange were my favorites.

Siem Reap: Genevieve's, L'Annexe, and Olive are among the best.

I don't really eat much in the way of Khmer food so my recommendations on that side would be moot - I do like the Dara BBQ in Siem Reap if you want to eat like the locals and not the sanitized meat of the Pub Street area BBQ restaurants. Ox tongue anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

For those who love New York style Pizza -- REJOICE!

The best NY pizza in all of Asia has arrived.

Brooklyn Pizza in Phnom Penh.

It's in Toul Tom Pong area but delivers all over the city. Can call them to order or make use of the new online ordering system which many restaurants are on http://www.yourphnompenh.com/order/ (there is a $1 charge but it works really well and as you can create a profile with your address and map, removes hassles of delivery guys not finding your place.)

I'm a native NYer and my standards for NY Pizza are exacting. But short of importing NYC tap water for the dough, Brooklyn Pizza in Phnom Penh has the real thing.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Auberge du Soleil in Kampot serves delicious Swiss food as Cheese Fondue, Cheese Raclette, Röstis, but as well French Brasserie Cuisine and at affordable rates. Quite perfect $1,00 Expresso, warm served Croissants and Chocolate breads are recommended for your breakfast. All this in a beautifull French Colonial corner house, 1 street away from riverside.
Kampot is kind of a foodie's place with a large choice of nice places to eat different types of good food, but this one is a Must.
20141124_142812.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/08/2016 at 7:20 PM, mike2011 said:

I m in for the coffee on my next visit. What about the other items - prices available. Croissants can be very expensive in Cambo unlike in Thailand.

Croissant from french baker in PP, served warm, at $1,50 (+$0,50 for butter and jam), chocolate bread $2,00, homemade yogurt $1,00, eggs, fruits, sets...

Most of the menu is available all day long.
Prices are mostly reasonnable for quality and "meal size plate".
Baguette Sandwiches $3,50

250g Buffalo Burger with fries $4,50

200g Aussie Rumpsteak, fries &salad $6,00

Cheese Fondue 400g $17,50 (enough for 2 pax)
Fish Meunière $7,00, 200g Beef Filet $9,50, Duck Breast $9,50
Few quite affordable Khmer & Asian dishes too

Draft, Coke $1,00, Wine by the glass $3,00
Famous Crème Brûlée as well as Moelleux au Chocolat.

Auberge du Soleil Kampot - Menu.pdf

Thanks. I like my coffee with a fresh croissant.

The menu looks good and reasonably. I like the idea of a fresh yoghurt as most of the fare available in supermarkets is not nice.

I m back in Kampot in December for my regular Pepper shopping and will try the place.

Good info :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2014 at 2:59 AM, Sheryl said:

For those who love New York style Pizza -- REJOICE!

The best NY pizza in all of Asia has arrived.

Brooklyn Pizza in Phnom Penh.

It's in Toul Tom Pong area but delivers all over the city. Can call them to order or make use of the new online ordering system which many restaurants are on http://www.yourphnompenh.com/order/ (there is a $1 charge but it works really well and as you can create a profile with your address and map, removes hassles of delivery guys not finding your place.)

I'm a native NYer and my standards for NY Pizza are exacting. But short of importing NYC tap water for the dough, Brooklyn Pizza in Phnom Penh has the real thing.

Big pizzas and absolutely delicious too....have to second this recommendation!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/18/2016 at 4:53 PM, TheSiemReaper said:

Brooklyn Pizza - worst delivery service on earth. Took my order. Called back an hour later to say they couldn't be bothered to deliver. Timed it perfectly to ensure I'd missed every other restaurant's delivery service too. Thanks for nothing.

If you want great pizzza and subs in SiemReap try here   http://www.belmirospizza.com/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Phnom Penh Cafes -

Café Metro Hassakan for terrific eggs Benedict, back bacon or smoked salmon versions, both with English muffin, lemony hollandaise, wonderful garlic roasted potatoes and asparagus spears. About $8-9. Okay Americano, good French press. Inside is the place to be. Street 148 at the corner of Sisowath.

Java Café and Gallery, really chill, great sandwiches & breakfasts, coffee too. Sit upstairs on the balcony, overlooking the Independence Monument parkland. 59 Sihanouk Blvd.

Artillery Cafe really good veggie stuff, sandwiches great, juices/shakes too, younger crowd. Off Street 240, east of the great Warehouse wine retailer, via a little alley.

Vejj Cafe, always good, sandwiches bang on, eggs B. as well as diverse full meals. Sit upstairs or down. Street 450, just south east of the Russian market.

Brown Coffee, good-great coffee, sweets are okay to great, all over town. Can be comfortable but noisy.

E-Coffee, good coffee, okay pastries, small, minimalist, nice place & staff, cheap. St. 144 @ St. 15, part of an okay minimart.

The Shop 240, good tea & coffee, sandwiches w/great bread. St. 240 just west of St. 19. Another branch on St. 102.

There are others but these are my favs. Would like to find more winners. Cafes like these are hard to find in Thailand.

Edited by NewGuy

Phnom Penh French/Belgian restaurants -

Bistrot de L'Institute Francais, lunch til 2pm, same menu at night, great food (influenced by the empire), service, room. 218 Street 184 across from l’Institute itself.

Chez Gaston, small menu, new owner, friendly, menu mostly unchanged, langue de boeuf still good, steaks a bit tough.  #76 Street 15 at Street 144.

Comme a la Maison, salades fermiere, paysanne outstanding, more affordable at lunch. St. 57 at St. 288, courtyard is nice.

La Marmite, not as great as before, half the size but absolutely worth it, especially the soups. St. 108 @ St. 51.

Duplex, fun Belgian place, great meatballs, stew, frites. The later you go, the louder. St. 278 a little west of St. 51.

Les Oliviers, simple, food ok, but can have staff issues. East side of St. 51 between Sts. 254 and 272.

Brasserie du Port, is on my to visit list, maybe pricy, closed Mondays. Corner of St 84. and the riverside.

Open Wine Ltd The Wine Restaurant, m-f lunch only - $16, $68 for supper, beautiful room. Wonderful. 219 St. 19 (west side) at St. 240.

Bouchon, soups and lots more more (11-2, 4-midnight). 82 St. 174, east of St 63, in a villa, near Romdeng.

La Pleine Lune, Khmer/French-educated owner/chef, small menu, good food, lovely woman. St. 154 west of St. 19.

Deli Bistro Gourmet, lunch $16-$17, dinner fantastic, great room and service. One of the best in town, just ask any French guy drinking in Bassac, no kidding. 13 St. 178, west of St. 41.

La Patate, kinda famous, has the best frites, served in a cone. I don’t go for the massive sandwiches but the menu is good. Hoping the new owner is keeping up standards. #17 St. 5.

Some other places, recommended on-line, seem to be coasting on their reputations. And many top spots have disappeared. I hope to find new ones.

• Like 1

Phnom Penh Chinese restaurants -

Jian Shu Renjia, great + NOISY. Dumplings $1.50-$2, hand pulled noodle soups $2-3, big portions, better than Bangkok, lots of standard dishes, a few strange ones. Monivong at St. 154, just south of its new neighbour.

Hao Yun Lai, just north, tasty, a little crude, dumplings, noodle soup good, NOISY. Never seen a farang in either, usually just Chinese couples or guys at lunch.

Unknown Chinese Noodle Restaurant, just south of the bakery. Very good, simple, cheap, noisy and fun. 545E Monivong Blvd, BKK2. The one just south of this one is not good.

St. 136 north side restaurants, east of Monivong, nothing fancy, standard really, dumplings a no go, pick the cleanest one (all have Tsingtao), avoid Bangkok on the south side.

I skip the Chinese Cambodia seafood places all over town, expensive, not really good, food has Khmer presentation, haven’t had any good tips. Stopped dim sum at the hotel near Aeon Mall and at the chains. A bit expensive and not really delicious, at least most of it. I’ve stayed away from Peking Duck joints - any recommendations?

Edited by NewGuy

Phnom Penh Vietnamese restaurants - 

Magnolia, Banh Xeo, great spring rolls and most dishes under $6, staff a plus, no pho. Best early evenings in the walled-in courtyard. St. 242 @ St. 51.

Special Pho (was Lucky Pho). St. 178, close to the riverside.

Fortune Pho. St. 51 @ St. 242.

Pika Chhouk Pho/Pho de Paris, go at lunch, great pho, bo kho etc. On Monivong, north of St. 174.

No name, excellent pho joint. one block west of Monivong Boulevard on St. 360.

Pho An Emh, good. One bock west of Monivong on St. 360.

Banh Mi & Bros, on bucket list if only for the name. 157 Street 63, just off of Sihanouk Blvd.

lots more to try, some past favs have gone down, some aren’t good.

Other SEA restaurants -

Either visited or on bucket list. Going late evening is too late. Forget beer in the Malaysian spots.

Irrawaddy Myanmar Restaurant, for the memories. St. 334 between Sts. 57 and 51, Bkk1.

Warung Bull (Malaysia), smallish menu, not exciting. #25E Street 178, near National Museum.

Sumatra (Indo), … okay, not special. #35 St. 456, Russian Market area.

Barn Barn Singapore Chicken Rice, if still open. #174 St. 454, Russian Market area, closed Sundays.

Asian Spice, laksa etc. #79 St. 111.

Bolina Palace (Malaysia), laksa good for PP, nasi lemak Thu-Sat, other stuff too, in hotel lobby, not exciting. St. 154, east or west of St. 51.

Ahman Green (Malaysian halal), sounds interesting. #129 St. 184, west of St. 51.

Cafe Malaya, looks good. St 118 at St. 215.

Maya Cafe (Malaysian), ??? 171 St. 19.

Mamak’s Corner (Malaysian) looks good. St. 110 @ St. 63.

The Gulai Halal Restaurant (Malaysian), looks good. St. 114 at St. 19.

Cambodia restaurants - 

Central market, others too, before 11 am, inside west corner, can get decent soups and more. Check for freshness, cleanliness.

Serendipity, everywhere. From just good feeds to nightly shellfish, lots more. Check for cleanliness.

Sovanna BBQ, Sovanna BBQ II, really good, popular and fun, get there before 6pm, stay for hours. Don’t get the same old things. St. 21, just south of Sinhanouk Blvd.

Romdeng, great - really nice place to take someone for a treat. Villla at 74 St. 174. 

Tinat, great menu, tasty, cheap. St. 154 @ St. 51.

Ox Penis Restaurant, or no name, great, interesting menu, friendly, as with many, problematic on holidays. St. 172 @ St. 63. Lots of places like this, not all have courtyards.

To visit: BBQ joints across the bridge near Nagaworld.

There are so many good choices not listed because I have an aversion to trendy, pricey, tourist Meccas.

Pizza restaurants -

I’m not looking to stuff myself here, just have thin crust pleasure. 

Piccola Italia Da Luigi, best place in SEA, absolutely great pizzas! Limited antipasto selection. Sit outside, almost on the road (watch for motorcycle snatch guys), interesting customers, stroll the area for new places. Another branch has a varied menu. St. 308, east of Noradom, Closed Mondays.

Luna Pizza, beautiful courtyard, good delivery, big in-house menu, used to have more customers. #6 St. 29.

Il Forno, moder,  big menu, great pizza, frito misto, and lots else. Service can be rough. Worth a delivery. St. 302 west of St. 41.

Romano's Pizza, on my bucket list, pizza and calzone. St 154 east of St. 19.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

For several years Pre-Covid-19, when regularly visiting Siem Reap from Thailand, I always used the popular Khmer Grill Restaurant in the Wat Damnak Village area. It is now open again with the same management providing a wide selection of Khmer and International dishes all freshly prepared and served by friendly and efficient staff. The following link shows the menu. Of course, it is a matter of personal choice and now living in retirement in Siem Reap it is still my local restaurant.

Khmer Grill - Cambodian restaurant in Siem Reap, Cambodia | Top-Rated.Online

https://khmergrill.com/

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...