1 year Multiple entry ED visa rules

If I have a 1 year multiple entry Non-Imm Education Visa issued outside Thailand, what are the rules on reporting to immigration and travelling outside Thailand?

I was told by the school that the Visa is only valid for the 90 days the Immigration stamped me in for and that before the 90 days where up I would have to visit immigration with paperwork from the school to extend the visa and pay 1900 baht, is this correct? I thought I could exit Thailand before the 90 days were up and then as long as I re-entered on before the "enter before" date on the visa stamp that I would get another 90 days?

The school also told me that I would need to get a re-entry permit from immigration for each trip outside Thailand and the cost was 1000 for single and 3800 for multiple but they said the multiple re-entry permit was only valid for 90 days, I would have though that the re-entry permit was valid for the length of the visa if it is indeed required at all, otherwise whats the point of a multiple entry visa?

Since you have a multiple entry visa you do not have to do anything at immigration. You can just do a border run and get another 90 day entry just before your current permit to stay ends.

If you do not want to do the border runs you can get the extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries you get from the visa.

Your multiple entry visa will give you 90 days on entry and you must leave and re-entry e90 days. If you make your last entry the day the the visa expires you will get another 90 days.

However,

with the correct paperwork from the school, you can extend any entry for 90 days and not have to leave Thailand. At the end of the 90 days, with the correct paperwork and 1900 baht you can extend for another 90 days. If you want to leave and re-enter Thailand during that period you will have to purchase a re-entry permit, 1000 baht - single, 3800 baht - multiple, to keep your current permission to stay valid. During that time you will have to do 90 day address reports every 90 days that you are in Thailand.

I know it' sounds like an unbelievable bunch of BS but it's really not that hard if you sit down and figure out exactly what you want and how to do it.

Is it B1900 to extend for all nationalities? My Pinoy wife pays only 800 for a visa run. Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All "extensions of stay" cost 1900Bht. These extensions can only be obtained from an immigration office.

Suspect your wife is doing something else. She certainly is not obtaining an "extension" by going on a "visa run"

• Like 1

Is it B1900 to extend for all nationalities? My Pinoy wife pays only 800 for a visa run. Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All "extensions of stay" cost 1900Bht. These extensions can only be obtained from an immigration office.

Suspect your wife is doing something else. She certainly is not obtaining an "extension" by going on a "visa run"

Correct. She is just visa run to use the next entry.

Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i had same ED Multi entry 1 year before from Antwerp Consulate , and indeed you just keep doing visa runs , not change to the school 90 days as it might change your visa status (not sure facepalm.gifbut.... ) this is the best ED visa as no risk for questioning your language skills at the borderwink.png , and free to travell if needed.

Edited by david555

Since you have a multiple entry visa you do not have to do anything at immigration. You can just do a border run and get another 90 day entry just before your current permit to stay ends.

If you do not want to do the border runs you can get the extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries you get from the visa.

Sorry this advice is wrong , you get only a 3 month visa to be renewed at immigration , your multiple entry visa will finish when you get a new visa stamp it is only good for the length of your visa , The multiple entry visa is a waste of money on a 3 month student visa you would have to leave Thailand 4 times in 3 months for it to be cost effective

Sorry this advice is wrong , you get only a 3 month visa to be renewed at immigration , your multiple entry visa will finish when you get a new visa stamp it is only good for the length of your visa , The multiple entry visa is a waste of money on a 3 month student visa you would have to leave Thailand 4 times in 3 months for it to be cost effective

Only a single entry non-immigrant visa gives you 90 days that you must renew at immigrations.

A multiple entry non-immigrant visa gives you 90 day at every entry during one year.

The OP has a multiple entry ED visa he obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate that allows him to make as many entries as he want for a year.

You are thinking of a 90 day extension of stay (not a visa) with a multiple re-entry permit obtained from immigration here.

Pleasant, speedy service at Immigration in Chiang Mai today.

We fronted up a little late (traffic was heavy) and got there just after 08:00. The early birds all had their Large Queue Cards, I went in while wife parked the car over the road. Got Card number 107. Wife arrived and took my Passport to the Photocopy section and within about 15 minutes my number was called and I was given the second number on a Paper Ticket, 523.

We sat down expecting a fair sort of wait but the number was called within another 20 minutes and I went to the counter to lodge the papers, expecting to have to go and sit for an hour or more while they were processed. SURPRISE.... the lady at the counter stamped the papers, tore off a section and stapled it into my Passport and waved me off for another 90 Days.

I checked to make sure I didn't have to hang around but she told me "it is all done, see you next time!"

Quickest ever visit in many years!

I am amazed at how many Poster do not know the difference between a Visa, Extension of stay, permission to stay stamp or what a visa is. think mods should pin definitions to this and the terminology, and some posters say there have been here a long time methinks not.

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Like 1

I always go to Immigration in the afternoon, even in Bangkok.

Everyone else seems to go there at 8 or 9 am in the morning, or even earlier before they open, presumably so they can be first in line. By the time the afternoon comes around the place is normally empty.

Generally I'm In and out in about 10-20 minutes, even less in Hua Hin. I've been doing this for years and it's never failed me so far. I generally aim to get there about 1 hour before they close.

Same situation with driving licenses, arrive 1 hour before closing, empty office. In and out - 15 minutes.

I've seen the same herd mentality with flights too, everyone turns up between 2/3 hours before the flight is due to take off so they can stand in a massive line with hundreds of people.

• Like 2

I am amazed at how many Poster do not know the difference between a Visa, Extension of stay, permission to stay stamp or what a visa is. think mods should pin definitions to this and the terminology, and some posters say there have been here a long time methinks not.

" think mods should pin definitions to this and the terminology, "

It wouldn't help. If they haven't fathomed the difference after going through the various application processes at Immigrations multiple times, anything posted here would be ignored as well.

you get only a 3 month visa to be renewed at immigration ,

Visas are never renewed and Immigrations only deals with extensions of stay/permission to stay (with an exception that is irrelevant in this thread).