Glaucoma Services?

I have glaucoma and need 6 monthly eye pressure check ups and eye drops daily. I'm bringing 6 months supply with me to Pattaya/Bangkok. Any recommendations re best places for check ups and to get eye drops regularly would be appreciated. I've checked out online pharmacies re supply of drops, usually coming from UK or Canada. I tried Pattaya hospital re drops and they quoted around $30 for something i can get online for around $17. Any other glaucoma sufferers have any experience?

Thanks

michael

It would help to know what drug you use as those that use it could answer. I use Alcon Travatan 40microgram/ml and believe it is one of the most expensive. I pay 1,122 for one month 2.5 ml bottle from major hospital here in Bangkok.

It would help to know what drug you use as those that use it could answer. I use Alcon Travatan 40microgram/ml and believe it is one of the most expensive. I pay 1,122 for one month 2.5 ml bottle from major hospital here in Bangkok.

Good point, Lopburi.

I use

2% Dorzolamide and 0.5% Timolol maleate (Cosopt) x 5ml

0.3% Bimatoprost (Lumigan) x 3ml

0.2% Brimonidine (Alphagan) x 5ml

each month

Thanx

michael

Good point, Lopburi.

I use

2% Dorzolamide and 0.5% Timolol maleate (Cosopt) x 5ml

0.3% Bimatoprost (Lumigan) x 3ml

0.2% Brimonidine (Alphagan) x 5ml

each month

Thanx

michael

Timolo is made in Thailand and very inexpensive. Not sure about the others, you may have to go with imports, but usually the Thai pharmacies import from Europe rather than the US so costs even of patented imports is lower here than uin the US.

In the rare case that a drug is not available in pharmacies, the larger hospitals usually have it, imported from either Europe or the US.

Between this and the various hassles that can arise with ordering meds through the mail (customs etc), you will probably do best tio bring with you a few month's supply and plan on getting the rest here.

I don;t think you will have any problem getting good care, at least not if you are willing to travel from time to time to Bangkok. Plenty of good opthamologists there. You can check out qualifications and sub-specialities on the websites of Samitivej, Bangkok Hospital and Bumrungrad, and I think -- not sure -- also on the Bangkok Nursing Home website. All of these hospitals are of international standard with large outpatient departments.

If for some unlikely reason it does prove necessary for you to get meds through the mail, have them first shipped to a friend or relative in the US then repackaged and sent airmail (NOT UPS, fed ex etc) to minimize risk of customs hassles.

Visit Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital for care and examination. I haven't visited their Eye Center in Pattaya, but their Eye Care Center in Bangkok will have everything you need. You can forward your information prior to your arrival, and it would be to schedule an eye exam as soon as you arrive, so that you can start a medical record there. It isn't difficult and you will find it very enjoyable with their helpful staff. There are other higher standard eye care facilities available, but it seems you have enough information already and know your treatment plan.

You have already started medication treatment (steriod eye drops), but why not go the extra step and receive surgery? Surgery can also relieve intraocular pressure. The most common surgical approaches to glaucoma adjust the trabecular meshwork to increase the flow of aqueous humor out of the eye. This may be accomplished through laser surgery or conventional removal of tissue.

Laser surgery on the trabecular meshwork is usually an intermediate step between medication and traditional surgery. The most common laser procedure for glaucoma is called trabeculoplasty, and it is used to shrink the trabecular meshwork and allow a small amount of free drainage around it. Typically, the procedure is painless and recovery is quick and complication-free. However, the chances are slight that laser surgery will permanently cure a patient’s glaucoma; many trabeculoplasty patients eventually have to undergo another procedure.

Sooner or later, the surgeon may have to resort to traditional surgical methods. The most frequently performed procedure to decrease intraocular pressure is trabeculectomy. In trabeculectomy, the surgeon removes a small portion of the trabecular meshwork. This has been proven to effectively reduce pressure, and it very frequently results in the patient’s discontinuation of medication. However, there is one alarming possible side effect of trabeculectomy: the development of cataracts. About one out of every three trabeculectomy patients develop cataracts within 5 years of surgery.

One procedure that does not impact the trabecular meshwork at all is called laser iridotomy. In the procedure, a laser is used to produce a hole in the iris, allowing fluid to flow around the meshwork. Iridotomy is usually quick and painless. Even if only one eye is affected, the procedure is typically performed on both eyes as a preventative measure. Currently, laser iridotomy’s primary use is in response to glaucoma attacks. However, it is also being researched as cure from some chronic forms of glaucoma such as pigmentary glaucoma.

Visit their website and consult with a doctor about surgery. At the least have a consultation and register with a hospita: http://www.bph.co.th/pages/eyecenter.php

Trabeculoplasty and Iridotomy was provided in part by Einstein Medical and ThaiMed