Do I have to pay 2 UK settlement visa fees

A quick one for someone like 7by7 to answer...

For those that haven't helped me along my path since I met my wife back in 2012 I'm English, my wife is Thai. Having got pregnant whilst in the UK on a tourist visa in 2013 she returned to Thailand (as the visa required) and we got married, but the UKBA take so long to process settlement visa applications that we decided she should have the child in Thailand and then we'd look at getting them both over here. The original and obvious plan was to apply for a British passport for my child, then a settlement visa for my wife (see thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694440-getting-a-uk-passport-for-my-newborn-half-thai-child/), but I've hit a snag and might need a plan B. In brief, according to the passport office, I need a counter signatory that satisfies certain criteria including being able to identify both me and my child. Nobody in Thailand satisfies those requirements, and those in the UK that do satisfy most of them won't have seen the child, so technically they can't counter sign for me.

So I started thinking about doing things differently. What if I get both the wife and child a visa, then once the baby is in the UK someone that satisfies all the requirements can counter sign the photos and we can apply for a passport. However, please tell me I'm wrong and that it won't cost me DOUBLE as the £851 fee for the wife is bad enough let alone the issue of them now charging in USD adding a further 8% onto that (see thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695684-uk-visa-fee/)

Garry

Mother and child make two visa applications; one for the mother, one for the child, and pay two fees. Even if they apply at the same time.

Can't help on the counter signatory, but there must have been others in your situation so hopefully someone will be able to advise.

After the child is born, show you and your baby on Skype to the countersigner in the UK.

Then courier the completed application forms and photos to the countersigner in the UK.

He or she couriers them back again.

Apply for the passport here in Thailand.

The guidance notes state they must have known YOU for 2 years and know that you have guardianship of the child and have seen the child and read the contents of the application form and accept them as correct.

This seems workable but you should check with the passport office.

An additional point to remember if you go the visa route is that not only will you have to pay two fees, but the financial requirement will go up as well.

Spouse only; income of at least £18,600 pa.

Spouse and 1 child; income of at least £22,400 pa.

If at all possible you should get your child a British passport in Thailand.

You've had some advice here and in your other topic; and I see from that topic you have already spoken to the passport office; although the person you spoke to seems to have been unhelpful and didn't give you accurate answers. Maybe try again and see if you get a different operator?

Remember that you will need to provide your long form birth certificate in the application.

If you are successful in getting the child a British passport, it's still worth getting the child a Thai passport as well.

After the child is born, show you and your baby on Skype to the countersigner in the UK.

Then courier the completed application forms and photos to the countersigner in the UK.

He or she couriers them back again.

Apply for the passport here in Thailand.

The guidance notes state they must have known YOU for 2 years and know that you have guardianship of the child and have seen the child and read the contents of the application form and accept them as correct.

This seems workable but you should check with the passport office.

I will expand on this in the other thread as this one was concentrating on whether or not I would have to pay two visa fees, which it appears is agreed that I would, so we will stick with trying to get a passport.

My mate honestly counter-signed the form with a position description of 'Manager'. The requirements are pretty vague and end with something like 'or of similar standing' which is very open to interpretation. He had met our baby as it happens, however there was absolutely no checking of this fact and the admin lady at the embassy did not give the counter-sign a second glance. Passport was issued.

If you want to play it by the book then as a previous poster says, Skype should be sufficient - you're very unlikely to get so far down the line that you start arguing with the UK authorities about the definition of 'met'.

My mate honestly counter-signed the form with a position description of 'Manager'. The requirements are pretty vague and end with something like 'or of similar standing' which is very open to interpretation. He had met our baby as it happens, however there was absolutely no checking of this fact and the admin lady at the embassy did not give the counter-sign a second glance. Passport was issued.

If you want to play it by the book then as a previous poster says, Skype should be sufficient - you're very unlikely to get so far down the line that you start arguing with the UK authorities about the definition of 'met'.

This and the previous response really belong in the other thread here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694440-getting-a-uk-passport-for-my-newborn-half-thai-child/

Thanks for your input. It seems the long and short of it is that if I lived in Thailand everything would be easy, but as I don't no scenario meets all the criteria, so whatever we do it will be luck of the draw as to how strictly someone wants to apply the supposed rules. After 2 calls to the passport advice line I've now sent an email enquiry to the FCO in Bangkok.

I have countersigned many passport applications in my previous existence as a stand-up UK citizen.

It got a bit silly in the end as I ended up as the go-to-man to countersign passport applications and people I didn't know so well would ask me to countersign their applications.

On one occasion and one occasion only, the passport office faxed me (yes it was years ago) at work and asked me to verify I had indeed countersigned the application. I verified I had read the application form and countersigned it and the guy received the passport shortly after.