Multiple Thai Immigration Q's

For all who help, thanks very much.

1. Is Immigration open & functioning at Chaeng Wattana? Or is that a day by day thing depending on where the mobs decide to go on any particular day?

2. I have an O-A visa and have been sending in my 90-day residence reports for the last 5 years I have been in Thailand. On 01 Novmber 2013, I mailed my 90-day to Chaeng Wattana. (Yes, I have the EMS receipt.). Shortly thereafter the government center was shut down. Thai Post has never delivered my 1/2 of the form from Immigration. I gave up on calling as there was never an answer. Is this going to be a problem when i finally make it to the government center?

3. A couple weeks ago I was issued a new US passport to replace mine that was expiring. The Embassy staff told me that the Thais have changed how they handle a new passport when the expired passport has the visa + stamps. Can someone let me know how I proceed at Immigration and if I need anything besides old & new passports?

Thanks again......

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I suspect you have an extension of stay not a OA visa.

Have you confirmed delivery of your 90 day report by using tracking on Thai post website. Suggest you print out the info and take it with you to immigration.

Starting on Monday the 12th immigration has opened two temporary of offices. See this topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695053-bangkok-immigration-opens-additional-offices-during-demonstrations/

There have been changes made to passport validity for new extension applications. But not for transferring stamps in your case.

Thanks for the help!!

Yes, after I decided Thai Post probably would not be bringing me my 1/2 of the TM-47, I printed the EMS tracking which shows Immigration's receipt.

I received O-A visa in Los Angeles 5 years ago. After my 1st year here, I have gone to Chaeng Wattana every year for a new 12 month stamp. If that makes a difference.

Just curious - when I go to do whatever I need to do for a new passport, can I just complete a TM-7, pay the fee and get a new stamp? (My stamp in old passport expires in June.)

Thanks again

For transferring stamps from old to new passports Immigration will require from you a completed unnumbered "Transfer Stamp To A New Passport Form" downloadable from http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download, plus copies of your old and new passports and a letter from your Embassy requesting the transfer (which I believe the American Embassy provide as a matter of course with new passports in any event). Immigration don't (or, rather, aren't supposed to) charge you for doing this.

Probably better to do this sooner rather than later (political protests permitting, of course), given that your next extension is not due until June.

As regards your missing 90-day report confirmation, I recall a recent posting from someone else in your position who was advised by CW to contact them if he still hadn't received this in the mail after a month.

You need to do the transfer of stamps now. You do not need to apply for a new extension to do it. Just fill out the form mention in previous post and make copies of both passports photo page and your visa, last entry/permit to stay stamp, extension stamp and re-entry permit if you have one in old passport.

I suspect your report receipt has been lost in the mail. You can take care of that and the stamp transfer at the same time.

Just choose on of the two temporary offices to go to this week.

You need to do the transfer of stamps now. You do not need to apply for a new extension to do it. Just fill out the form mention in previous post and make copies of both passports photo page and your visa, last entry/permit to stay stamp, extension stamp and re-entry permit if you have one in old passport.

I suspect your report receipt has been lost in the mail. You can take care of that and the stamp transfer at the same time.

Since I will be getting a new passport later this year this is of interest to me also, although I would be doing the stamp transfer at Jomtien.

There seems to be two relevant forms listed as "Transfer Stamp to a New Passport Form" and "New Passport Form."

The first would the obvious choice for moving the extension-of-stay stamp, but since I will be doing this because I will have a new passport, is the second form also required?

Thanks

Edited by Suradit69

Have you confirmed delivery of your 90 day report by using tracking on Thai post website. Suggest you print out the info and take it with you to immigration.

Starting on Monday the 12th immigration has opened two temporary of offices. See this topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/695053-bangkok-immigration-opens-additional-offices-during-demonstrations/

There have been changes made to passport validity for new extension applications. But not for transferring stamps in your case.

Hi Ubon Joe, Will Chang Wattana still be open as well as these extra offices? How fortunate I have to renew my visa on this week!!

Cheers

Hi Ubon Joe, Will Chang Wattana still be open as well as these extra offices? How fortunate I have to renew my visa on this week!!

Cheers

CW will still be open but it may be hard to get to because the government complex there is one of the areas selected for shutdown.

Thanks to everyone replying to my Q's!!!

It seems to me from the discussion that no one seems to know what the daily status of CW is (entirely understandable,,,) but there is also confusion about these 2 new offices. Certainly they are not going to be open Monday, who knows when they are open (not sure how far away this Lat Phrao office is from Yingluk's home but there have been daily demonstrations around her home). There does not seem to be any agreement here if these new offices handle anything other than 90-day rpts (and the memo from Immigration does not specifically state other services).

Looks to me like going to any of the offices is a crap shoot in the days ahead.

For me, I will try CW later in the week and let you all know how that goes.

Thanks again.

They will be open on Monday as stated in the notice from the immigration website. These offices are not a target for the demonstrators.

There is no confusion either about what they can do other than one confused post on here.

Why does the transfer of stamps have to take place now?

In April my extension of stay needs renewing, the current extension is in my old passport.

My pristine new passport is eagerly awaiting the new extension which I can apply for in a couple of months.

This week I did the 90 reporting which Immigration aligned with the expiry of my extension, which is aligned with the expiration of my old passport.

So what is the Big Issue I can expect when I ask for an extension?

In April my extension of stay needs renewing, the current extension is in my old passport.

My pristine new passport is eagerly awaiting the new extension which I can apply for in a couple of months.

This week I did the 90 reporting which Immigration aligned with the expiry of my extension, which is aligned with the expiration of my old passport.

It is a immigration policy that you should do the transfer of stamps shortly after getting a new passport.

Since it is a requirement that you should have your passport with you at all times it also means you need to have both passports with you because your old passport is no longer valid. If you were stopped and had both passports with you there is a good chance you might have a problem because an extension in a canceled passport is technically not valid.

I can assure you immigration will not be happy in April when you show up for your extension application with a new passport you have had for months.

It is a immigration policy that you should do the transfer of stamps shortly after getting a new passport.

Since it is a requirement that you should have your passport with you at all times it also means you need to have both passports with you because your old passport is no longer valid. If you were stopped and had both passports with you there is a good chance you might have a problem because an extension in a canceled passport is technically not valid.

I can assure you immigration will not be happy in April when you show up for your extension application with a new passport you have had for months.

Thanks for the reply.

The old passport has no cancellation stamp, so I am not sure at which point it could be checked for invalidity but anyway my Thai driving license has always proved better than the passport, it has an address in Thailand as well.

"Oh, you live in Thailand and speak Thai, carry on, sawatdee krap"

So is there a penalty or simply a little bit of unhappiness, which can be overcome by profuse apologies and the usual envelope for the excellent service I have received from the same Immigration official for the last five years or maybe six?

Thanks for the reply.

The old passport has no cancellation stamp, so I am not sure at which point it could be checked for invalidity but anyway my Thai driving license has always proved better than the passport, it has an address in Thailand as well.

So is there a penalty or simply a little bit of unhappiness, which can be overcome by profuse apologies and the usual envelope for the excellent service I have received from the same Immigration official for the last five years or maybe six?

You could of easily done the transfer of stamps when you did your 90 day report. It only takes a few minutes to get it done and costs nothing.

Up to you how you do it. All I can do is offer advice and inform you of the requirements.

• Like 1

Dear ubonjoe,

With all due respect, or not, exactly why do you have to sound so arrogant when it comes to what someone thinks their visa is called? Someone says they have a Non OA visa and you always say, "no you dont," it is an extensionof what?

Maybe you could enlighten us all on what exactly what visas we do have. After all we do have some kind of visas, so what are they?

Please list the visas we have and why it is so damn important to state that someone does not have the exact type of visa they believe they have. My Passport is stamped until February 2015 and says Retirement. What should I call what I have? In my mind it is a Non OA but..

Thank you in advance for your expertise in all Immigration matters.

Dear ubonjoe,

With all due respect, or not, exactly why do you have to sound so arrogant when it comes to what someone thinks their visa is called? Someone says they have a Non OA visa and you always say, "no you dont," it is an extensionof what?

Maybe you could enlighten us all on what exactly what visas we do have. After all we do have some kind of visas, so what are they?

Please list the visas we have and why it is so dam_n important to state that someone does not have the exact type of visa they believe they have. My Passport is stamped until February 2015 and says Retirement. What should I call what I have? In my mind it is a Non OA but..

If you have a stamp in the passport which says "retirement" the O/A "visa" once held is finished , dead, gone away and of no further value ! smile.png

What you have , in all probability, is an "extension of stay" based on retirement NOT a "visa".

Dear ubonjoe,

Please list the visas we have and why it is so dam_n important to state that someone does not have the exact type of visa they believe they have. My Passport is stamped until February 2015 and says Retirement. What should I call what I have? In my mind it is a Non OA but..

A visa is only issued by an embassy or consulate unless it is issued by immigration based upon meeting the requirements for an extension of stay.

A visa only allows you to enter the country and obtain a permit to stay based upon the class of visa you have. Once you are in the country you are on a permit to stay not a visa.

A permit to stay can be extended for various reasons.

You have an extension of your permit to stay based upon retirement. You may of had a OA visa that allowed you to enter the country and obtained a permit to stay from it but that visa expired long ago.

Myself and others constantly try to differentiate on this forum between a visa and an extension of stay because of the confusion it can cause.

• Like 1

Dear ubonjoe,

I have to say, it is very clear what the difference between a "visa " and an "extension of stay" is. Once you have a visa and you use it to enter the country, and you then ask for the period that you have been permitted to stay after entering on that visa to be extended, you no longer have any valid visa at all. This is contrary to your belief that "After all we do have some kind of visas" - you don't!

Your visa (permission to come into the country) has expired, as you will soon find out if you leave without getting a re-entry permit. Then your one year extension permission will vanish and you will only be allowed to stay for 30 days, on a visa free waiver, because you no longer have a current OA visa that would allow you to enter then stay for one year.

This is why it's important to both understand what you have, and to use the correct terms to describe it. If you are under the impression you have an OA visa (permission to enter the country, followed by a stay of one year) still, five years after it has expired, then why do you think you need to apply for a re-entry permit if you leave?

Your position is: you had an O/A visa four years ago, it has now expired, but because you asked immigration nicely, can I stay in the country a year longer than this now expired visa said I could, and because you repeat this request every year, they kindly allow you to stay long after you should have gone home.

• Like 1

A Thai passport costs 1,000 baht and for about 35 baht is send to your home address by ems a few days later. Count on 5 working days to get, 7 to be safe.

Daughter needs a passport too.

Express service is reportedly available, but don't know how much or procedure for that.

You will need a letter from the embassy basically stating they issued the passport to hand to immigration when you get your visas put in the new one, I got a new passport two weeks ago and they gave me the letter at the same, it's a bit like having the new passport notorised as coming from the embassy. No letter immigration will turn you away.

Thanks for the reply.

You could of easily done the transfer of stamps when you did your 90 day report. It only takes a few minutes to get it done and costs nothing.

Up to you how you do it. All I can do is offer advice and inform you of the requirements.

The usa embassy punches two holes in the expired passport when they give you it back on pick up.