Storage to use with Tablet.{Large}

chiangrai

Out of interest,the video above showing a guy playing videos on my tablet with a USB 2.0 Thumdrive.............what is the largest thumdrive i could play on my tablet.I see they go up to 128GB I would only need two.

I've gone off the bulky 3.5 USB cover idea.

Invadet have a power hub for 690bht but it's USB 3.0.would that affect me.

If not that option with a 2.5 HDD would come to about 2500bht.

The powered wifi USB option woks out at either 3860bht plus shipping from America or 6590bht plus shipping from invadet.

SO OPTION 1-two 128GB USB thumbnail drives,I still need to know if my tab would drive them but if it would it would be the cheapest option.

OPTION 2-the powered hub and the 2.5 hard drive 2500bht.

OPTION 3-The wireless hard drive probably the best device but out of my budget.

So after 59 posts I've narrowed it down to two options.

Some final advice,especially from Mister Turkleton would be much appreciated.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thumbdrive being played on the tablet is a SanDisk Blade which is very low powered and very slow, I unfortunately have one. 128GB thumbdrives x 2... without searching and provided you can find in Thailand... 2,000 minimum each would be my guess as cheapest you see them sell for in the US now is around $50 each. Don't know if your tablet can handle them.

Thanks Kkerry,

I see them on ebay in Hong Kong for around 850bht.They say they use little power.Does it have to be that brand,Sandisk Blade.

Anyway do you know any device like this that my machine would handle.

I only have 233GB to save.It's been like that for years.I delete about as much as I save.Anything that is better than a 64GB card.

Another thing that struck me is that if I went traveling with a 500GB external hard drive and a 32GB card,could I just go down to the local internet cafe,delete what is on the card and transfer another 32GB onto it with their pc.

Option 2 is looking more and more likely all the time.2500bht.

As far as I know SanDisk Blades only go up to 32GB. They are very slow so I can't recommend them. The bigger the drive the more speed becomes important as a slow one will take you forever to copy to. If you see a 128GB flash drive from any brand for only 850 baht then buyer beware as it may be a fake. Kingston 128GB drives are sold in markets on the Thai border but they're really only 8GB copies. A flash drive on eBay selling for half the US price on Amazon.com... anyway, see first if anyone knows for sure if a tablet will even see such a large flash drive using a OTG cable, it's not something I know about.

Another thing that struck me is that if I went traveling with a 500GB external hard drive and a 32GB card,could I just go down to the local internet cafe,delete what is on the card and transfer another 32GB onto it with their pc.

...provided their PC has a cardreader (or will allow the insertion/operation of and is compatible with yours).

Edited by hawker9000

Personally in your situation I would sell the tablet etc and invest in the ultra book I mentioned. It would end up being lighter and more efficient. It also has a touch screen and running full windows 8.. But up to you:)

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

i just checked my cheap Aigo tablet and my powered 1tb drive with an otg cable it worked fine using the file manager (not some file managers are not so good with otg)

i think tesco lotus still do powered drives for about 2k baht.. and if it don't work you can take it back within 7 days for a refund or exchange.

Hi Casualbiker,

A 2000bht powered hard drive is exactly what I'm looking for but my local TESCO doesn't have them.

The tesco in Chiang Rai city is bigger and there's a Central and a Big C.It would mean an overnight trip to the city but if I thought they were available I would go.

What is it powered on ,mains or battery and why hasn't someone mentioned this before.

Thanks for your concern.

I did a bit more playing around. I found a 128g drive with a twin USB split cable in my misc crap draw.

Worked fine on my Motorola Moto G without power. Would not work on my Aigo tablet. Then I just plugged in the 2nd USB to my phone charger and it worked.. My conclusion is that maybe all you need is what's in the picture plus your tablets charger. 500gig hard drives are about 1,500+, lead 100b. Job done.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-195835-13897483757636_thumb.jpg

Just to let you know how things are going guys.

It loos like casualbiker and turklet are right.

I'VE ordered an OTG cable online.

Then I wrote to Invadet inquiries and he tells me all I need is a power hub and a portable hard drive.

I looked at his power hub page and the only power hubs that were USB 2.0 were less than 200bht.My OTG cable is 2.0.

I am going to write back to him ,checking that this power hub is write for me and could he recommend a HDD.

Things seem to be working out practically and price wise.

I will keep you posted and keep your fingers crossed

Hi Turkleton,

I have ordered a OTC cable from Bangkok.

I am about to order a D-Link,4 port,USB 2.0 Hub W/Power Adapter(Dub-H4).550bht.

And a Toshiba Canivo Conect,500GB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0. 1790bht from

Invadet.

Sorry I can't post links but I would really appreciate your final approval before I order and pay.

You are the only one who seems to be wise to this solution,even the guy from invadet didn't know about OCT cables.

Many thanks for your help so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Right Guys,

I've got all the stuff.

I got the 500GB hard drive and it's full of stuff.

I've got the power hub and the OTG cable.

But I can't seem to get the hard drive to register on the tablet.

Can anybody give me instructions on how to wire it all up

In this sequence:

Plug the 500 GB into the powered USB hub.

Plug the USB Hub into the OTG.

Plug the power adapter to the wall, and the other end to the hub.

Plug the OTG to your tablet.

It is crucial that everything is connected and powered up first before connect the OTG to the tablet. (Same with a USB Flash Stick- connect to OTG and then connect to tablet.) If you connect the OTG first, the tablet may not see the components as you add them.

Your mileage may vary. I never had much success with the powered USB hubs. I had to try several before finding one that worked.

backup laptop. use airdroid app with laptop/wifi to backup everything you need from tablet and thats it

any computer connected to the same wifi as your tablet will be able to restore your data to tablet from hdd if the laptop was to fail

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

nah. that is okay. you can delete that software, its not needed.

you can copy/paste for your d: drive if it is just personal loose files (music, documents, movies etc) but if you decide to backup the c:, then definitely use backup software

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

O.k Guys,

First problem,the only cable that goes into the hard drive has a male large USB jack on the end.

The OTG cable micro male jack won't go into the USB port in the hub but it will go into the Tablet and the tablet will recognize a USB 2GB stick.

So I am left with the cable coming out of the HDD being a large male USB.

I have another cable coming out of the USB port in the hub ending in a large male USB also.

So it looks like instead of a OTG cable I need a male to male large USB connector.

Am I being clear.Would this work.

O.k Guys,

First problem,the only cable that goes into the hard drive has a male large USB jack on the end.

The OTG cable micro male jack won't go into the USB port in the hub but it will go into the Tablet and the tablet will recognize a USB 2GB stick.

So I am left with the cable coming out of the HDD being a large male USB.

I have another cable coming out of the USB port in the hub ending in a large male USB also.

So it looks like instead of a OTG cable I need a male to male large USB connector.

Am I being clear.Would this work.

I assume this "might" work. but it is just not the way I would do it.

what exactly are you trying to backup from the Tablet? if it is only picture/video/documents and your actual apps then there are much easier ways than this

if you are trying to copy/paste everything (as in all the operating system files and apps data) FROM the tablet into a hard drive.. in case tablet needs factory reset, this might not work as good as you think it would

I ran in almost the same issue a few months back but I wanted to have access to movies i had on my hard drive... in the end, and decided to use Airdroid (now I see there is Airdroid 2).. and it's free

you just connect your laptop and the tablet to the same WIFI, the mobile app will give you an address on your tablets screen and you enter it in Google Chrome on your laptop (the other browsers like firefox had issues a few months back, not sure about now) and you can download almost everything and extract your apps into .apk files too.. all to your hard drive.

it's not "fast" but it doesn't needs none of those bs gimmicks

but who knows, maybe that doesn't serve your purpose??.. if it does, all you needed was the hard drive and laptop (and wifi)

Edited by kekalot

O.K---

I've got it all wired up.A little sign pops up and says an external hard drive has been added and dissapears.

Then I open COMPUTER(the app that looks like windows)but there is no sign of the new USB.

So the problem now is either software or me.

Don't let me down now guys we've come so far and are so close to the end.

Wifi harddrive:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-Wireless-External-STBF500101/dp/B004Z0S7K6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389494669&sr=8-2&keywords=wifi+harddrive

It'll work with all android tablets no matter otg support or not. Of course its more expensive, but more convenient.

Indeed WiFi Hard disk is the solution, works with any device, which can connect to WiFi.

If you choose one by Seagate, install their dedicated App in your tablet (iOS or Android) and on the laptop just connect through the browser.

They are a bit more expensive than normal 500GB hardd disks but they seem to be perfect for you.

I have one and it works fine.

The files on the hard disk, what is the size of the largest file? Anything around the 4GB mark? If the hard drive is NTFS formatted then might be a problem as maybe it needs to be FAT 32 (file limit 4GB) like most USB flash drives usually are. You can get apps or work-arounds I'm sure but your tablet might also require root access... still haven't tried it myself yet so anyone know?

• Like 1