The Link Condo, Phase 5 @ Suk Soi 50

bkkbudddy

I've lived here a long time in many condos. The condos here vary mostly in 'style' and cost but NOT in build quality. They have different names on them and different looks, but they are all more or less poorly constructed, hot boxes. Thin walls, cheap concrete, lack of quality all around. The best 'values' in Thai condos tend to be in the older condos which have good condo management. Condo management in Thailand is a HUGE problem (funds being misappropriated, ill managed, maintenance being neglected, etc.). The new condos will be falling apart in a 2 to 3 years with management having changed multiple times and people moving out and trying to sell, reduction in services etc. Condos are NOT generally a good investment (or good to own to live in) in Thailand. Just like so many other things here, it is about image over substance. By the way, I've lived in that area in a condo and I now live in a 'luxury' condo in a different part of Bangkok. 75,000/month. But, it's STILL poorly built with numerous problems troubling the nice facade. :-) Another problem is that Thais (most of the owners will legally/necessarily be Thai) don't understand the concept of shared financial responsibility. They are cheap and selfish - far more than average westerners. At the board/committee meetings, they will spend most of the time complaining of fees and trying to reduce services, turning half the lights off, limiting the gym hours, using only a portion of the elevators, etc. Think of your typical cheap Chinese who has a BMW in the car park but lives in a dump quality of life. That's what you're buying into when you buy a condo. So, renting is a superior option, but best is to rent a house or townhouse if you can. Because even renting, if your building is full of Thais, chances are they don't share your values. They value style, not true quality. They will happily live like animals in the dark as long as the outside sign of the building looks nice and clean and shiny.

I agree with you about the building quality: thin walls, no thermal or acoustic insulation, kitchens that are not very practical to use, etc, and that's in relatively new condos.

OP: About the Link, I don't think it's a great choice, seems like a very crowded place, although the location is good. It's also very near the highway, so might be noisy.

If you are looking in that area try The Roof Garden, just off sukumvit 50. Has nice apartments, reasonable prices, pool, gym and sauna. It's a bit far to walk to the BTS, but you can take the motorcycle taxis or the Songtheo.

The Link is actually one of the better condos if you're on a budget . The condo looks nice from the outside and the rooms are nicely decorated. I almost ended up renting a small 1 br for 14000 thb , great location with Tesco and BTS a few meters away .

I've lived here a long time in many condos. The condos here vary mostly in 'style' and cost but NOT in build quality. They have different names on them and different looks, but they are all more or less poorly constructed, hot boxes. Thin walls, cheap concrete, lack of quality all around. The best 'values' in Thai condos tend to be in the older condos which have good condo management. Condo management in Thailand is a HUGE problem (funds being misappropriated, ill managed, maintenance being neglected, etc.). The new condos will be falling apart in a 2 to 3 years with management having changed multiple times and people moving out and trying to sell, reduction in services etc. Condos are NOT generally a good investment (or good to own to live in) in Thailand. Just like so many other things here, it is about image over substance. By the way, I've lived in that area in a condo and I now live in a 'luxury' condo in a different part of Bangkok. 75,000/month. But, it's STILL poorly built with numerous problems troubling the nice facade. :-) Another problem is that Thais (most of the owners will legally/necessarily be Thai) don't understand the concept of shared financial responsibility. They are cheap and selfish - far more than average westerners. At the board/committee meetings, they will spend most of the time complaining of fees and trying to reduce services, turning half the lights off, limiting the gym hours, using only a portion of the elevators, etc. Think of your typical cheap Chinese who has a BMW in the car park but lives in a dump quality of life. That's what you're buying into when you buy a condo. So, renting is a superior option, but best is to rent a house or townhouse if you can. Because even renting, if your building is full of Thais, chances are they don't share your values. They value style, not true quality. They will happily live like animals in the dark as long as the outside sign of the building looks nice and clean and shiny.

Surely you must be aware that for that sort of money or a little more,you could get a 4-5 bedroom pool villa somewhere like Bangna?

I really don't get the fascination with condos,is it an American thing because I have a 3 bed 3 bath 240m2 house on the airport link for less than half your rent and mine is one of the most expensive!blink.png

Hello,

Thank you very much for your insightful information. I decided not to lease the Link Condo due to their antiquated appliances and furnitures! I would never purchase a condo in Bangkok due to poor construction workmanship!

Currently evaluating Diamond Ratchad building A.

Thanks much in advance

Link, is that the massive bldg that sits right on Suk? Yuk.

Diamond Rachada, my guess is fairly empty. They have lowered price to about 3m. I would offer much less. We looked inside when they finished. No love, meh. There are units aside in Cool House. This condo appears to be same developer. From outside, very unimpressive. Dowdy already after two years. A block going up right now behind that, same developer. Think its a second phase, because the first isnt poky enough.

Not impressed with build quality if same as DR.

Was good location, but now Rachada Mall closed, bit of walk to Esplande or BigC.

By my count there are 20k condos in various states of construction along Chada corridor. No rush.

Edited by fifthcolumn