UN chief launches Thai mediation effort

Lite Beer

POLITICS
UN chief launches Thai mediation effort

30224060-01_big.jpg

File photo : Ban Ki-moon

BANGKOK: -- U.N. leader Ban Ki-moon said Friday he had launched a bid to head off a violent showdown next week between followers of Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the opposition.

Ban told a press conference that he has spoken with Yingluck and opposition Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiv in the past three days "in an effort to help them bridge their differences."

"I am very concerned that the situation could escalate in the days ahead, particularly next Monday, January 13, when protesters said they will shut down Bangkok," Ban added.

"I urge all involved to show restraint, avoid provocative acts and settle their differences peacefully, through dialogue," he said.

Opposition protesters say they will occupy the capital from January 13 until they win their battle to topple Yingluck’s government.

Thai authorities say they will have nearly 15,000 police and soldiers deployed in the capital for the planned "shutdown."

Yingluck has called a February election following weeks of opposition protests. But the demonstrators have vowed to block the vote, which they say will only prolong the political dominance of her wealthy family

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-12

• Like 1

Good luck asking the stubborn boneheads Abhisit and Suthep to the negotiating table.

Instead the UN should just go ahead and send peace keeping troops.

Can they do that? I mean without asking permission from the Thai military or the caretaker P.M.

• Like 1

Good luck asking the stubborn boneheads Abhisit and Suthep to the negotiating table.

Can they do that? I mean without asking permission from the Thai military or the caretaker P.M.

If people are getting murdered and Suthep or the army don't reign in the protesters, i don't see why not.

I think they have to be invited in, as in the peace keepers case.

• Like 1

Goog Luck Mr. Ban because this is beyond you and as ponted out in an earlier post it's too little and too late.

As an Asian you will understand that the concept of losing face can seriously affect negotiations and the like but do you understand Thainess ? Well if not you will soon learn that Thais are not big on taking advice from outsiders although they do want a seat on your Security Council so the rest of the world can benefit from their wisdom.

As to the UN sending troops i suggest they can't unless invited and that's not going to happen. If the UN decided to intervene without a mandate I can't see many nations willing to contribute to an invasion of Thailand.

• Like 1

If people are getting murdered and Suthep or the army don't reign in the protesters, i don't see why not.

If the protests are initially peaceful, as they have been for the most part, where does "murder" come into the story?

If there are interventions by opposing forces then there may be injuries and even deaths, but still not technically ,"murder".

You mentioned reining in the protesters. Is that not the job of the RTP?

I think a domestic situation has to go far beyond anything we've seen in Thailand before the U.N.commits a peacekeeping force.

• Like 1

If the UN were to send in it's 'army' to 'police' the situation that would really confuse the Thais!

Of course they will never (and should never) be invited in because the sight of those blue helmeted troops on your streets indicates a failed state and the loss of face would rightly be unbearable.

Edited by bigbamboo

The U.N . chief Mr Moon needs to realize that the crux of the problem resides in Dubai, he therefore should be telling this person to butt- out and to dip he's head in muck, the other problem is the Shinawatra family and the joyous PTP, now that has been established, I might enlighten Mr Moon that the U.N. has not solved any conflicts since its conception and I really don't think this Thailand stoush will be their first.coffee1.gif

I think they have to be invited in, as in the peace keepers case.

Correct

Maybe a better Idea is send in UN auditors, to scrutinize ALL the spending undertaken by The PM government, here lays the problem. The complete denial of any corruption within the cabinet and PTP.

U.N. leader Ban Ki-moon said Friday he had launched a bid to head off a violent showdown next week between followers of Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the opposition.

Ban should direct his enquiries towards Dubai if he wants a change of heart from Yingluck and I cant see what impact the opposition would have as they have opted out of politics for a while.

This UN chief has to be the biggest fool he should worry about his country and North Korea that is where the trouble is but he butt in other countries problem

Show me how good you are solve your countries problems first

Also I see plenty of fighting between different parties in South Korea.

I am sorry he so mess up

The 'men in black' currently randomly shooting at protestors are Thaksin's boys carrying on the same proud Shinawatra tradition.

The following was written by one of Amsterdam & Thaksin's own supporters:

"Thaksin Shinawatra's secret "black shirt" force of provocateurs, mostly made up of navy SEALS and marines, is back on the streets again for the first time since May 2010 and has infiltrated Suthep's rabble. If protests escalate they will seek to incite deadly violence ....... to discredit Suthep and his movement for good."

What an insightful prediction by Andrew MacGreggor-Marshall on his Facebook page (November 2013).

Edited by ianf
  • Like 1

FYI, as a retired UN peacekeeper who has served on peacekeeping missions around the world, I think you need to understand UN can only get involved after invitation by government of host country.- be it Timor Leste, Congo, Mali , to name a few. UN has no power, per se - but SG can use his good offices to try to encourage negotiation between opposing parties if he sees a conflict that might get out of hand. By mentioning it in his press conference on Friday , he is letting the players know that the world is watching them. By the way, UN has a big investment in Thailand, and is not a disinterested party. He talks to PM and AV because they have official status, whike Suthep has none, and therefore is not worth talking to, in terms of UN Protocol.

uote name="ratcatcher" post="7279003" timestamp="1389503105"]

• Like 2

So he didn't speak with Suthep. Interesting - does that mean the UN doesn't recognise Suthep as a legitimate player in this?

The UN has been neutered a long time ago and represents no real power. Countries (even Western Nations, like the US), do whatever they want.

I guess, the UN chief, needs to speak up once in a while, to justify his huge paycheck rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

Sad to say, the UN is a Toothless Tiger and a massive waste of money.