Meaning of Mia ----

RandomSand

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife, but a more flexible definition than the legalistic one in the West, doesn't imply a legal registration.

Mia noi isn't really translatable, since western culture's closest equivalent is "mistress" while here it can literally mean a secondary (tertiary etc) wife, just not the first/primary one, but often a long-term stable relationship, sometimes part of the extended family where all the wives know each other, sometimes gang up on the pooa.

And when derogatory, mia farang may be aimed at the temporary rented wives, but this usage tends to be more widespread among those on the edges of the game if not the thick of it. Most mainstream Thais don't mean anything derogatory by it at all.

Edited by wym

And when derogatory, mia farang may be aimed at the temporary rented wives, but this usage tends to be more widespread among those on the edges of the game if not the thick of it. Most mainstream Thais don't mean anything derogatory by it at all.

I heard in an old movie from the seventies the the term Mia chèa for rented temporary wife.

A Mia = wife

B Mia Noi = Your bit on the side

Your phrase implies a short-term, relatively unimportant physical relationship.

Many Mia Nois are full-fledged wives with houses, cars, children and last for a lifetime, fully equivalent to a full-on wife, just socially one notch down from the one that got in first.

If A finds out about B it is the

duck farm for your pecker,

True for most farang because we aren't doing it right.

I know lots of families where the wives all know about each other, and several where they get along just fine and act as one big extended family.

Although it's usually the case that the youngest one currently getting the most attention (and sometimes "too much" of the income/assets will be ganged up on by the older/prior ones.

TGs know such aspects of Thai culture are beyond most farang and stridently do their best to prevent us adopting them - but it's not impossible if you set the ground rules from the start and continue to wear the pants.

Of course you have to have the income/assets to keep everyone happy, while "adultery" like this isn't grounds for a wife to divorce her husband, his spending "too much" money on the mia moi(s) is.

But everything is relative, I know taxi drivers and small shop-owners, don't have to be rich.

I heard in an old movie from the seventies the the term Mia chèa for rented temporary wife.

Hadn't heard that, but I've heard "mia chao" = rented wife a lot.

• Like 2

So is the title Mia or Mia Noi ?

Mia Yai = Primary wife

Mia Noi = Mistress

Mia = Wife

Mia Farang = Foreigner's wife

Are you Thai?

I'm sure you realize farang only applies to Caucasian foreigners, wouldn't be used for Asian, middle-eastern or African foreigners.

Mia Yai = Primary wife

Mia Noi = Mistress

Mia = Wife

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Mia Luang = Primary wife, not "Mia Yai" (at least, Mia Luang is way more common)

Same meaning.

Mia Luang = Mia Yai

Mia Mai = New Wife (remarried)

Mia Yai = Primary wife

Mia Noi = Mistress

Mia = Wife

Are you Thai?

I'm sure you realize farang only applies to Caucasian foreigners, wouldn't be used for Asian, middle-eastern or African foreigners.

No, it isn't just applied to white foreigners. It is applied to black as well.

But you are right on that it won't be applying to Asian or Middle-eastern foreigners.

Edited by Somsrisonphimai

That's not true,,,farrang applies to anyone not THAI, Japanese ,Korean etc etc,

Many a time I've heard she's got a far rang ,when I've asked the country, it has been all over.

Maybe I'm wrong now we got ASEAN ,555+

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Mia = common law wife (Mia Luang if you have other women)

Mia Noi = mistress you provide everything for

Panraya = Registered wife

Mia has no inheritance rights.

Not true on Mia has no inheritance rights.

Panraya = Mia (registered or not)

Panraya is mostly used in central Thai dialect. It is also depending on the husband introducing his wife as either Mia or Panraya, but the meaning is the same.

Mia can be used loosely to refer a woman who has sex with a man period.

Mia is often used by lower class people who have limited education and vocabs.

Any educated Thai would laugh at someone who thought mia was wife.

Of course, lots of foreigners learn words from the poorly educated.

Rule 1 for learning Thai.

When you want to know the difference between two similar Thai words, ask a Thai who at least completed high school.

Edited by FiftyTwo

That's not true,,,farrang applies to anyone not THAI, Japanese ,Korean etc etc, Many a time I've heard she's got a far rang ,when I've asked the country, it has been all over. Maybe I'm wrong now we got ASEAN ,555+ Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No that is incorrect, means white man only.

Sometimes you'll hear "farang dam" for an African American, but they're joking.

Definitely not for Indian/Arab (Khaek) nor oriental, where they tend to actually differentiate by country.

Truly ignorant will use "passat farang", not even knowing (nor caring) if their teerak is french or italian or whatever.

But it definitely only means "people of white European ethnicity"