Meaning of Mia ----

RandomSand

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what is the Thai writing of 'wife' (one and only) then please Somsrisonphimai

is Panraya phonetic and pronounced 'pan ray A'?

The above is good enough, not allowed to post Thai script here, head over to the language forum.

Panraya is sometimes shortened to panya.

Dont know if using panya means I am uneducated or not, the linguistic experts will chime in.

I do hear panya used in Bkk, the users aint uneducated or poor people.

A Mia = wife

B Mia Noi = Your bit on the side

Your phrase implies a short-term, relatively unimportant physical relationship.

Many Mia Nois are full-fledged wives with houses, cars, children and last for a lifetime, fully equivalent to a full-on wife, just socially one notch down from the one that got in first.

If A finds out about B it is the

duck farm for your pecker,

True for most farang because we aren't doing it right.

I know lots of families where the wives all know about each other, and several where they get along just fine and act as one big extended family.

Although it's usually the case that the youngest one currently getting the most attention (and sometimes "too much" of the income/assets will be ganged up on by the older/prior ones.

TGs know such aspects of Thai culture are beyond most farang and stridently do their best to prevent us adopting them - but it's not impossible if you set the ground rules from the start and continue to wear the pants.

Of course you have to have the income/assets to keep everyone happy, while "adultery" like this isn't grounds for a wife to divorce her husband, his spending "too much" money on the mia moi(s) is.

But everything is relative, I know taxi drivers and small shop-owners, don't have to be rich.

You are watching too many Thai soap. I know a few Thai guys that are married and have a Mai noi, but the wives do not get along. The children flop between houses and respect each mother. The mai's getting along only happens on TV.

According to Higsbie, one of the leading authorities on Thai and Lao, "farang" is derived from "Farangset" (French) in Lao, but from "foreigner" in Thai - or was it the other way round? It's not an inherently racist term at all, but obviously can be used in a derogatory way just as many posters here use the term "Thai" in a derogatory way. Most of my educated Thai friends would use the term roughly as meaning "white westerner", probably excluding Russian caucasians and British Asians from that grouping for example.

About mia noi - I thought noi was derived from nitnoi - small as in lesser.

I have not met a Thai family where mia nois are accepted, though I have met several where a mia noi or two has been the occasion for a divorce.

By the way, does anyone know the Thai for husband noi?

Yes farrang husband

You are watching too many Thai soap. I know a few Thai guys that are married and have a Mai noi, but the wives do not get along. The children flop between houses and respect each mother. The mai's getting along only happens on TV.

Have never watched more than a minute in my life, less than a half hour over fifteen years.

And if you made it worth my while I'd be happy to introduce you to a few get-along-together mia's in person, can't believe this is only common in my neighborhood in Bangkok.

Perhaps your relationships with Thais just aren't on such intimate terms, or with better-educated wealthier ones that realize farang find such practices strange or even look down on them - like many of your Thai friends might pretend they don't believe in ghosts (tip - they actually do).

And in my own personal life, since 2001 every one of my long-term relationships with Thai women has been "open", included the understanding that either of us are free to have other partners, with the restriction that we discuss in advance before committing to another serious emotional attachment.

Some of the girls thought they could handle it and then realized they couldn't, or started asking for too much compensation for such arrangements, but largely I've found it works out just fine as long as everyone is honest and above board from the get go.

• Like 1

A Mia = wife

B Mia Noi = Your bit on the side

If A finds out about B it is the

duck farm for your pecker,

The point about Asia is how much the 'A finds out about B' scenario is more or less fictional. From many centuries back, and probably originating in China, not only is a 'bit on the side' tolerated by the main Mia, but she is sometimes actually chosen and suggested to the husband by the main Mia. Anyone who has missed this fact has missed one of the features of Asian life that truly separates it from Western norms in personal relations.

• Like 1

According to Higsbie, one of the leading authorities on Thai and Lao, "farang" is derived from "Farangset" (French) in Lao, but from "foreigner" in Thai - or was it the other way round? It's not an inherently racist term at all, but obviously can be used in a derogatory way just as many posters here use the term "Thai" in a derogatory way. Most of my educated Thai friends would use the term roughly as meaning "white westerner", probably excluding Russian caucasians and British Asians from that grouping for example.

I have not met a Thai family where mia nois are accepted, though I have met several where a mia noi or two has been the occasion for a divorce.

Yes farrang husband

Putting aside the obvious games played out in tourist areas such as Pattaya and moving to the Thai culture at large, is it common for Thai women to have a "mia husband"? Is this an accepted practice among Thais? How do those relationships usually play out? And one more related question, is it common in such situations for Thai women to have a Thai man and a non-Thai man on the hook?

Mia noi is just one of the women the man cheat on his wife with. There is no point of having a word to describe it. Especially because dishonesty makes thais lose face so obviously they never cheat.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by A1Str8

can't believe this is only common in my neighborhood in Bangkok.

Perhaps your relationships with Thais just aren't on such intimate terms, or with better-educated wealthier ones that realize farang find such practices strange or even look down on them

I'm sure it's not only limited to your area in Bkk Wym, but equally I don't think it's an accepted social norm throughout Thailand.

But what interests me more is how do you manage to live in Bkk and spend 99% of your time speaking Thai?!

Yes farrang husband
Putting aside the obvious games played out in tourist areas such as Pattaya and moving to the Thai culture at large, is it common for Thai women to have a "mia husband"? Is this an accepted practice among Thais? How do those relationships usually play out? And one more related question, is it common in such situations for Thai women to have a Thai man and a non-Thai man on the hook?

Mia is wife, so no. In this case for a girl to have something on the side it's a geek, same for a guy can have a geek. This is more of less friends with benefits.

Have never watched more than a minute in my life, less than a half hour over fifteen years.

And if you made it worth my while I'd be happy to introduce you to a few get-along-together mia's in person, can't believe this is only common in my neighborhood in Bangkok.

Perhaps your relationships with Thais just aren't on such intimate terms, or with better-educated wealthier ones that realize farang find such practices strange or even look down on them - like many of your Thai friends might pretend they don't believe in ghosts (tip - they actually do).

And in my own personal life, since 2001 every one of my long-term relationships with Thai women has been "open", included the understanding that either of us are free to have other partners, with the restriction that we discuss in advance before committing to another serious emotional attachment.

Some of the girls thought they could handle it and then realized they couldn't, or started asking for too much compensation for such arrangements, but largely I've found it works out just fine as long as everyone is honest and above board from the get go.

Make it worth your while, very funny, like I really care. Been living and working in Thailand since 1996, my Thai friends are scatted around Rayong, Hua Hin, BKK etc. Not going to get into it, but a few have mai nois and the mai nois do not socialize with each other. The one friend I know all three of his wives and they are all nice but from speaking to them they are all jealous of the others. Each has their own house and car, the kids flop around between houses and the wives take care of all the kids with no problems, but the wives do not get along. Not saying that is how it is everywhere, but this is what I have seen other than on Thai soap and then the part about the older ones gang up on the young one is straight out of Thai soap.

My TG sceamed ar me with tears running down her face for half an hour, then we kissed and had great make-up sex.

Just because it's a cliche doesn't mean it doesn't happen in real life.

I'm just reporting what I know, no ax to grind, take it or leave it.

Yes farrang husband

Mia is wife, so no. In this case for a girl to have something on the side it's a geek, same for a guy can have a geek. This is more of less friends with benefits.

I mixed up my terms and meant to say "husband (puua) noi", sorry, and thanks for the correction. But again, in Thai culture at large, is this acceptable or just one of those things everybody is aware of but nobody discusses openly?

Isn't a "geek" that guy an the circus/freakshow that bites the heads off live chickens?

Edited by FiftyTwo

Isn't a "geek" that guy an the circus/freakshow that bites the heads off live chickens?

I thought that was a drill sergeant.

We also use words such as "partner" or slang such as " 'er indoors" and "she who must be obeyed". Try and translate these terms to a Thai and see if they comprehend the implied social status of the user or the legality, sincerity, or morality.

Partner is only used by feminists and gay people, or by people who suspect they are talking to a feminist or a gay person.

As "fairn" can mean boyfriend or girlfriend, and there are few feminists around, the Thais have no need to tread delicately.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Mia = common law wife (Mia Luang if you have other women)

Mia Noi = mistress you provide everything for

Panraya = Registered wife

Mia has no inheritance rights.

Not true on Mia has no inheritance rights.

Panraya = Mia (registered or not)

Panraya is mostly used in central Thai dialect. It is also depending on the husband introducing his wife as either Mia or Panraya, but the meaning is the same.

Mia can be used loosely to refer a woman who has sex with a man period.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Mia is often used by lower class people who have limited education and vocabs.

Any educated Thai would laugh at someone who thought mia was wife.

Of course, lots of foreigners learn words from the poorly educated.

Rule 1 for learning Thai.

When you want to know the difference between two similar Thai words, ask a Thai who at least completed high school.

Wrong.

Even high school grads cheesy.gif (whatever they got to do with it I don't know) and 'educated' Thais if that's what you mean say 'mia'. It's everyday Thai that everybody uses.wink.png

You are confusing formal/informal language for educated and uneducated.

• Like 1

Partner is only used by feminists and gay people, or by people who suspect they are talking to a feminist or a gay person.

Nonsense and believe there is an entire topic on that out there somewhere.

Merriam Webster Dictionary:

: someone's husband or wife or the person someone has sexual relations with

: one of two or more people, businesses, etc., that work together or do business together

: someone who participates in an activity or game with another person

Eg. His partner, his wife of 20 years, was shocked to hear about his accident.

Wiki:

A partner is:

Free Dictionary:

1. One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially:
a. A member of a business partnership.
b. A spouse.
c. A domestic partner. See Usage Note at domestic partner.

Plenty more out there

---------------------------------------------- On topic below ---------------------------------------------

As for mia, it is generally considered low class and not normally used in mixed company or strangers.

mia wife (mia is also used for referring to a long-term girlfriend as well a wife. mia is a colloquial and mildly impolite term; although it's widely used by men when talking amongst themselves, some women may object to it being used to refer to them in their presence. faan(for girlfriend) and pan-rá-yaa (for wife) are safer terms, although pan-rá-yaa has the opposite problem of being slightly too formal sounding for colloquial language.)

Source: Thai2English

Nonsense and believe there is an entire topic on that out there somewhere.

Merriam Webster Dictionary:

: someone's husband or wife or the person someone has sexual relations with

: one of two or more people, businesses, etc., that work together or do business together

: someone who participates in an activity or game with another person

Eg. His partner, his wife of 20 years, was shocked to hear about his accident.

Wiki:

A partner is:

Free Dictionary:

1. One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially:
a. A member of a business partnership.
b. A spouse.
c. A domestic partner. See Usage Note at domestic partner.

Plenty more out there

---------------------------------------------- On topic below ---------------------------------------------

As for mia, it is generally considered low class and not normally used in mixed company or strangers.

mia wife (mia is also used for referring to a long-term girlfriend as well a wife. mia is a colloquial and mildly impolite term; although it's widely used by men when talking amongst themselves, some women may object to it being used to refer to them in their presence. faan(for girlfriend) and pan-rá-yaa (for wife) are safer terms, although pan-rá-yaa has the opposite problem of being slightly too formal sounding for colloquial language.)

Source: Thai2English

Glad you said it and your post is 100% accurate in my experience. Mia is low class and not normally used in mixed company or strangers.

This linguistic feature is exactly like "vous vs tu" in French or "sie vs du" in German, just applies to a lot of vocabulary in Thai not only pronouns.

Close!

"sie" means "she", but the formal "you" is "Sie". Pronunciation is the same. By the way "she" at the beginning of a sentence is written with an uppercase "S".

Well, the awful German language (Mark Twain)

I mixed up my terms and meant to say "husband (puua) noi", sorry, and thanks for the correction. But again, in Thai culture at large, is this acceptable or just one of those things everybody is aware of but nobody discusses openly?

Well, part of the "mia noi" concept is the fact that you are supporting your partner over time, at an absolute minimum paying their rent, susually some spending money, most likely school tuition, and of course regular gifts. And it's almost always a significantly older guy and a relatively young women, at least at the start of the relationship.

It would be a very recent phenomenon and MUCH less common to see women doing the same thing, not least because in most strata of Thai society the guys are the ones with more money.

However it is very likely these days that there are some wealthy cougars out there supporting their boy toy in decent style, and I'm sure "pua noi" would fit that situation in a non-joking way - however I have to say I haven't come across this personally, not least because out of the few dozen wealthy families I know I haven't gotten close and personal enough with them for them to let me in on such secrets.

Because it would most definitely need to be kept pretty secret, Thai sexual mores are very much one-sided when it comes to society approving of such polyamorous arrangements. Just as teenagers going out and sowing their wild oats, it's far more acceptable for boys to do so publicly than girls.

However statistically married women in Thailand do fool around every bit as much as the guys - and that's a lot, IMO probably pretty close to 80% once they've gotten to a certain age, they're just a bit more discreet about it.

They resort to the commercial sex industry a lot less as well, which is why most male sex workers cater to gay clients (even though many of them are actually straight, just doing it for the money). Boys town late at night you can see the older Thai (and farang) women dancing it up with the rent boys right along with the gay customers, often having a great old time.

There's also a pretty brisk business done by the young athletic African guys among wealthy older Thai women, ultimate forbidden fruit that!

Mia = common law wife (Mia Luang if you have other women)

Mia Noi = mistress you provide everything for

Panraya = Registered wife

Mia has no inheritance rights.

Once again absolute <deleted>. It is true that MIA NOI have no legal inheritance rights unless the sponsor makes explicit arrangements.

However "mia" doesn't mean "mia noi" in fact AFAIK, there is NO vocabulary distinguishing between wives (or husbands) where the marriage has been legally registered and those that haven't.

You actually need to explicitly state "mii/mai mii tabien sam rot", and you very rarely hear this even being discussed, again because it is irrelevant except legally.

Mia means wife in both senses, and implies "mia luang". Mia noi has the same implication of it being a relatively long-term relationship and usually with a romantic/emotional component, usually not as transactional as more temporary economic arrangements.

Note that it is very very common for completely respectable couples to be married without the legal registration, have children etc, in fact MORE common among the hi-so crowd than lower classes, due to the "marriage penalties" involved in tax and legal requirements for civil servants and elected officials.

The current PM being a great example.

Mia is often used by lower class people who have limited education and vocabs.

Any educated Thai would laugh at someone who thought mia was wife.

Of course, lots of foreigners learn words from the poorly educated.

Rule 1 for learning Thai.

When you want to know the difference between two similar Thai words, ask a Thai who at least completed high school.

Again you're talking out your arse.

Informal language may be used more universally by those with less money and education, but it's not a class indicator per se.

There certainly ARE stuck-up people that put on airs and only use informal language with family and close friends.

Therefore as a suspect farang you would only be exposed to that usage by such people.

However even upper-class people with multiple graduate degrees, if they aren't stuck up, will use lower-register vocabulary in normal conversation, even with people they don't know intimately.

Especially young people.

Again, being a foreigner, older/more traditional Thais will WANT a foreigner to only use formal language.

However if you're learning your Thai from ordinary people (which of course in Thailand mostly means uneducated poor people) it is true that you'll usually learn colloquial lower-register language first, and then back-fill with the more formal vocabulary through your formal classroom/tutoring instruction.

All depends who you want to associate with. Me, I find poor and/or rural people much friendlier, more honest and definitely more fun and entertaining than the wealthier more educated Thais.

Whatever floats your boat, but don't think you have much of a clue regarding Thai language at this point, you don't.

• Like 2

All depends who you want to associate with. Me, I find poor and/or rural people much friendlier, more honest and definitely more fun and entertaining than the wealthier more educated Thais.

Whatever floats your boat, but don't think you have much of a clue regarding Thai language at this point, you don't.

I only want to associate with young and pretty Thai girls.

Everyone else I pretend to not understand.

Getting harder to play that game now my two year old insists on speaking with me in Lao/Lanna.

The shop keepers are starting to assume I am fluent, which I'm not.