2 New AEON ATMs Open in Phuket

skatewash

Bringing the total number of AEON ATMs in Phuket to five, at three separate locations.

Who cares? At the moment AEON ATMs are the only ATMs I'm aware of in Thailand that don't charge the 150 Baht fee when accessed with a foreign (non-Thai issued) ATM Card. However, the policy of not charging the 150 Baht foreign transaction fee may be ending if this notice on the AEON website is to be believed:

Nonetheless, as of January 10, 2014, it was still possible to withdraw funds from these ATMs without incurring the 150 Baht fee.

The two new AEON ATMs are located at Jungceylon Shopping Center in Patong. They can be found next to each other in the outdoor banking center located in the basement floor of the "Silang Blvd." section of Jungceylon. That is to say, the part of Jungceylong located nearest to Rat-u-tit Road. If you take the outdoor stairs in front of Jungceylon on Rat-u-tit Road down to the wooden sala-style Thai pavilion you will be in the right area. The AEON ATMs are located to the far right as you finish coming down the stairs. They are located outside the enclosed portion of the mall so possibly you may be able to access them 24 hours a day. This shows the location at address 1010 on the map shows the location at address 1010: http://www.jungceylon.com/directory_silang_en.aspx

The machines are new, and since they are new they seem to be in working order far more often than the heavily used AEON ATMs located elsewhere in Phuket. The new location does not even appear (yet) on the AEON ATM locator (http://www.aeonthailand.com/aeon/af/aeon/unsec/custSrv/loc/pgm/locationSearch.do?channelId=-8753&provinceId=41&regionId=RG06&selectedChannels=-8758,-8753&locType=1&ATMPurpose=2〈=en) I just happened to stumble upon them recently.

For the record, the other two locations of AEON ATMs in Phuket are both on the Chalermprakiat Ror 9 Road (402 Highway By-Pass Road) on the same side of the road as Phuket International Hospital. Two AEON ATMs are located in the banking center (2nd floor banking zone opposite Kasikorn Bank) of Central Festival mall and one is located at the nearby Big C near Phuket International Hospital. The Big C location is in the 1st floor ATM zone next to the escalator and the exit door to car parking. There is another location listed that I have not tried:

Big C Thepkasattee

888 Moo 2 Ratsada, Muang Phuket, Phuket 83000

1st Floor the entrance door on the right hand side; opposite of Mister Donuts

Hope AEON continues to not charge the 150 Baht foreign card access fee. Time will tell.

True, the locations are not very convenient for many who live in Phuket. However, I use AEON exclusively as a means of bringing in small relatively amounts of USD into Thailand. A couple of times a month if I happen to be in the neighborhood of one of these ATMs I withdraw the maximum I can from the AEON ATM (in my case around 15,000 to 16,000 Baht, the maximum allowed by my foreign bank). I then immediately deposit the money into my Thai bank's Cash Deposit Machine. I get money as needed for daily expenses from my Thai bank which has many more ATM locations all around Phuket. For me, AEON ATM cash withdrawal is the cheapest way for me to get USD into Thailand.

A great solution, if you find such a US bank before moving to Thailand. In Thailand you could then use any ATM (not just Krung Sri Bank) and be reimbursed for the foreign ATM transaction by your US bank. Care to mention the name of the US bank that offers this arrangement? Something to look into if I ever visit the US. Thanks!

I got an HSBC usa internet savings/checking account that comes with debit and credit card if you desire

http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/personal-banking

Works good for paying all my bills and transfering money from my pay to kids in USA

My main complaint is with the is slow tranfers times 3 days plus if trasnfer money on Thursday not see tranfer complete until Tuesday

also for some reason money from europe in my Kisakorn account same day but not clear my HSBC account for 3 days

USA Banks sloooow....Been looking for a better bank option for putting my paycheck in and paying all my monthy stuff have not found a good one yet

so stick with HSBC for now..

I called AEON HQ on Friday trying to get someone to tell me what daily exchange rate they use when I draw money out of their ATM from overseas. I asked this because the rate is never disclosed on the printed slip, just the amount in Baht I withdraw.

I couldn't get an answer on that although the clerk kept repeating, ad nauseam, 'no fee',no fee no fee' Okay so no fee.

I have noticed though that after calculating the $ I withdraw from my overseas bank with the amount in Baht I get here I always get a far better deal than if I was to remit my money through a overseas bank or money trading company. I'll stick with AEON even if they do one day charge 150 Baht.

I called AEON HQ on Friday trying to get someone to tell me what daily exchange rate they use when I draw money out of their ATM from overseas. I asked this because the rate is never disclosed on the printed slip, just the amount in Baht I withdraw.

I couldn't get an answer on that although the clerk kept repeating, ad nauseam, 'no fee',no fee no fee' Okay so no fee.

I have noticed though that after calculating the $ I withdraw from my overseas bank with the amount in Baht I get here I always get a far better deal than if I was to remit my money through a overseas bank or money trading company. I'll stick with AEON even if they do one day charge 150 Baht.

If you do get the exchange rate mentioned it is called dynamic currency conversion. And that is really expensive for you.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

True, the locations are not very convenient for many who live in Phuket. However, I use AEON exclusively as a means of bringing in small relatively amounts of USD into Thailand. A couple of times a month if I happen to be in the neighborhood of one of these ATMs I withdraw the maximum I can from the AEON ATM (in my case around 15,000 to 16,000 Baht, the maximum allowed by my foreign bank). I then immediately deposit the money into my Thai bank's Cash Deposit Machine. I get money as needed for daily expenses from my Thai bank which has many more ATM locations all around Phuket. For me, AEON ATM cash withdrawal is the cheapest way for me to get USD into Thailand.

I have always thought a Swift transfer to your Thai Bank once a month was the cheapest way to get money for daily living expenses here but I guess that depends on the charge by our overseas banks and of course the Thai bank!

• 5 weeks later...

They use the visa/mc retail currency conversion rates. I forgot the websites for each...I think Pib has them. Thaivisa should make them a sticky on their page

I use this link http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net and the TT rates , but visa/mc has their own dedicated page for their rates (and I think you can look them up historically for a few months back).