Marriage or retirement which is best

Here's what I do:

I apply for a multiple entry "Retirement visa" (non O) in Australia. I have to get medical check, police check, bank statement, etc,

but it is all straight forward.

The one problem is that I have to take my papers to a local lawyer and get them certified (this costs about $250).

The big advantage is that I don't have to put money in a Thai bank.

This gives me two years in Thailand, if I exit just once (each time I enter I get another 12 months).

my gosh...do you pay that each year?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i am guessing total cost for 2 year stay...

(as for as the Non O Retirement) certifications

250 for legal certification

45 for statement of income (Consulate in my case)

60 for tourist visa (later to be changed to an extension)

75 ? Medical report and police report

?? for multi entry (although if you leave more than once, my extension may expire before 2 years)

?? Price for extension

Totals between 400 to 500 USD for two years?

So i am guessing total cost for 2 year stay...

(as for as the Non O Retirement) certifications

250 for legal certification

45 for statement of income (Consulate in my case)

60 for tourist visa (later to be changed to an extension)

75 ? Medical report and police report

?? for multi entry (although if you leave more than once, my extension may expire before 2 years)

?? Price for extension

Totals between 400 to 500 USD for two years?

It sounds like perhaps we are comparing apples and oranges here when measuring the cost of a retirement visa obtained in Australia vs. the US. As a US citizen this is what it cost me via the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles -

$200 for the multi entry O-A Retirement Visa

$25 for the police check document at my local court house

Many of the forms required notarizing - my bank does this free for its customers

The medical document was free from my medical provider.

$5 for the cashier's check for the cost of the visa

Approx $20 or so for the priority mailing both ways of the documents to and from the Thai Consulate

Perhaps $15 or so for the required photos via the local Walmart

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I say, if you can afford to put 800k baht on deposit (in Thailand), get a retirement extension based on that.

Very straight forward........

No hassle getting Embassy verifications, nobody nosily wanting you to prove you have a valid marriage.

Just to add, if you go down this track, convert your 800k baht into Aussie $'s and invest for 12 months at 3.4%, certainly beats the minimal % you get for baht on investment.

I say, if you can afford to put 800k baht on deposit (in Thailand), get a retirement extension based on that.

Very straight forward........

No hassle getting Embassy verifications, nobody nosily wanting you to prove you have a valid marriage.

Just to add, if you go down this track, convert your 800k baht into Aussie $'s and invest for 12 months at 3.4%, certainly beats the minimal % you get for baht on investment.

I know that a foreign currency account can be acceptable, but the guy is from the UK! So Oz dollars?

If you put it into (lock it) to a 12 month fixed, some immigration departments will reject this as the money is not available for day to day use, and they like to see the account being accessed. Heard of someone getting knocked back...... as is often the case, your mileage may vary.

I say put it in a savings or fixed term Thai baht account (a 4 month with Bangkok Bank gives 2.6%)... you need to be ready for emergencies.

• 5 weeks later...

Forgive me if this is a silly question but this visa business seems crazy complex

I'll second that motion....somewhat convoluted.whistling.gif

Then on top of that consider that some of the immigration people have their own special interpretations of those 'laws',...not all the same,...and can depend on under the table pmts.

It is not unusual all over the world, people in authority have their own interpretations of laws. Be clean, polite and sober. Don't smell from yesterday's drinking. That will help open the way. Health care and immigration can be no stroll in the park. In much of world. Best behavior. Was treated at good hospital for anxiety attack. A smile and kind word gets noticed and appreciated. Thai friend told me fee would be thousands of baht. Fee was 300 baht including one week's medication. Second in command at hospital took time to see me.

• Like 1