Marriage or retirement which is best

I am retiring at the end of this month as I have just turned 65

I am a Uk national been married to my Thai wife for about 4 years....she now has both a Thai and British Passport

I have a house( now in my wife's name ) in Hua Hin

I have no problem with finances and I want to reduce the hassle factor as much as possible. But I do not want to use an agent

already have Thai bank account

I normally travel on a tourist visa and stay for maximum 40 days

I want to spend up to say 4 months in Thailand in one trip (winter) but come and go for perhaps a month at other times

Which visa is best cost wise and hassle wise?

Is it in any event a two stage process that involves dealing with Thai embassy?

I can't understand why the income requirement is referred to with the visa obtained stage 1 in Uk

On one web site.......London embassy .....it mentions getting criminal record check confirmation from Scotland Yard !!!

Many thanks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not consider obtaining an "extension of stay" based on marriage or retirement, which would last a year , is renewable and together with a re-entry permit allow as many exits entries required.

Such an extension is best made from a NON "O" visa but can also be undertaken from a tourist visa.

You would need to meet certain financial requirements .

I would advise against the O/A visa which requires police and medical reports. Obtaining this visa is complex, time consuming and expensive !

You could do an extension of stay based upon retirement here. You would need to prove income of 65k baht or have 800K baht in a Thai bank for 60 days (90 after first) or combination of the 2.

You could also do an extension based upon marriage which requires 400k baht in the bank or 40K baht income. This extension requires a little more paperwork and you will have a 30 day wait for final approval.

You could also get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that would give you 90 days entries for a year but can be stretched to 15 months total by doing an entry just before it expires.

The police certificate and medical is only require for a OA visa at the embassy that gives 1 year each entry and can be stretched to 2 years by doing an entry just before it expires (one year from date of issue).

Marriage visa requires only tying up 400000 baht to a bank account, instead of 800000, but if you only stay a 2-4 months, double entry tourist visa could be the best. 60 days initially and 30 days extension for 1900 from local immigration. That is a single entry. After 90 days you have to go outside of Thailand and use the second entry. Another 60 + 30 days but you have come in for the 2nd time before the "before" date in the visa.

Edited by Timwin

You could do an extension of stay based upon retirement here. You would need to prove income of 65k baht or have 800K baht in a Thai bank for 60 days (90 after first) or combination of the 2.

You could also do an extension based upon marriage which requires 400k baht in the bank or 40K baht income. This extension requires a little more paperwork and you will have a 30 day wait for final approval.

You could also get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that would give you 90 days entries for a year but can be stretched to 15 months total by doing an entry just before it expires.

The police certificate and medical is only require for a OA visa at the embassy that gives 1 year each entry and can be stretched to 2 years by doing an entry just before it expires (one year from date of issue).

The multiple entry non o visa I presume is applied for in the UK

When you say "doing an entry " is this leaving Thailand or applying for an extension in BKk?

Forgive me if this is a silly question but this visa business seems crazy complex

Come on visa waived on entry, 30 days. (free)

Extend at local immigration for 90 days to "visit your Thai wife". (1,900bht)

No money required in any bank.

Not required to leave the country in the 4 months.

No medicals or other silly paperwork required.

Edited by FiftyTwo

requires a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival to get a Visa on Entry

A 90 day extension ??

I think not!

• Like 1

If you come and go, then get a O visa based on wife that is multiple entry. If you will stay for up to one year and only leave periodically, then I would go for the O retirement. As others stated get the 1 year extension, the paperwork is easier and processed faster especially since the money in the bank isn't an issue.

If you would like to work at anypoint though, then get the Marriage.

Good luck.

• Like 1

requires a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival to get a Visa on Entry

Photoshop is your friend.

A 90 day extension ??

I think not!

Actually it is 60 days. Every entry can be extended for 60 days if you have a Thai family, the correct paperwork and 1900 baht!

Edited by wayned

Based on my personal experience over the last 45 years, it would seem that a multi-entry Non-O visa based on Thai wife would fit your needs best. The visa is issued by a Thai consulate when you present your marriage certificate, wife's ID card (copy) and House register (copy.) Some consulates want a letter from your wife asking that you be granted a Non-O visa. This gives you 90 day stays and as many departure/returns (reentry's) as you want to make. At 90 days just make a visa run and get another 90 day stay. If you decide to stay in Thailand more than 90 days at a time you can apply for an extension of stay based on either retirement(simplest application) or Thai Wife.

• Like 1

Based on my personal experience over the last 45 years, it would seem that a multi-entry Non-O visa based on Thai wife would fit your needs best. The visa is issued by a Thai consulate when you present your marriage certificate, wife's ID card (copy) and House register (copy.) Some consulates want a letter from your wife asking that you be granted a Non-O visa. This gives you 90 day stays and as many departure/returns (reentry's) as you want to make. At 90 days just make a visa run and get another 90 day stay. If you decide to stay in Thailand more than 90 days at a time you can apply for an extension of stay based on either retirement(simplest application) or Thai Wife.

The Non-O visa based on Thai wife is getting very hard to obtain, need to show money in the bank, and some consulate's ask for a ridiculous figure, there is no set figure, each to there own, the best is to get a single entry visa then go to savannakhet lao its the only place that will issue a Mulit non O based on thai wife with out proof of funds, but how long that will last is unknown.

• Like 1

If money is no concern and you can afford to tie up Bht 800,000 for 3 months- a year can be easier, no worries about meeting time restraints etc them apply for a retirement extension and a multi re-entry. quick, easy no problems, come and go as you wish in and out of Thailand - just be around at when it's time to re-apply for your extension each year.

The way to go, I did it for many years and actually lived back o/seas for a couple of years - just returned each year to do the extension - have just changed to extension based on marriage as I used half the money to finish our house build. The marriage extension is a bit of a pain compared to the retirement extension - but achievable if you can stand a bit of hassle.

I'd just get the 30 at the airport, extend 60, leave the country (shopping and duty free) and come back for another 30. You could, if the new old rules are in fact in force, do a border hop to Myanmar from Hua Hin.

Visas and extensions are hassles these days. The expensive envelopes, the questions, the paperwork (tickets, bank account paperwork).

You have an easy path imo. Enjoy.

If you are over 65 as stated and are in receipt of a pension then very easy, a 12 month multiple entry visa is easy, you just have to do border run every 90 days and if timed right can get 15 months, many of my friends choose this option.

• Like 1

Marriage visa requires only tying up 400000 baht to a bank account, instead of 800000, but if you only stay a 2-4 months, double entry tourist visa could be the best. 60 days initially and 30 days extension for 1900 from local immigration. That is a single entry. After 90 days you have to go outside of Thailand and use the second entry. Another 60 + 30 days but you have come in for the 2nd time before the "before" date in the visa.

A double-entry tourist visa might well, indeed, be the route of least hassle in your case for each 4-month visit. And there would presumably be no need for a 30-day extension of your second entry!

For your month-long visits, the standard 30 days visa exemption should suffice.

No need for you to mess around with O-A or O visas + subsequent extensions of stay in your situation, I think!

I'd just get the 30 at the airport, extend 60, leave the country (shopping and duty free) and come back for another 30. You could, if the new old rules are in fact in force, do a border hop to Myanmar from Hua Hin.

Visas and extensions are hassles these days. The expensive envelopes, the questions, the paperwork (tickets, bank account paperwork).

A possible problem with the 30 days on arrival at BKK initially, however, is that you could be denied boarding at LHR (or wherever) if you had no return ticket or one booked for after the 30 days. A double-entry tourist visa should prevent such a problem arising.

Marriage visa requires only tying up 400000 baht to a bank account, instead of 800000, but if you only stay a 2-4 months, double entry tourist visa could be the best. 60 days initially and 30 days extension for 1900 from local immigration. That is a single entry. After 90 days you have to go outside of Thailand and use the second entry. Another 60 + 30 days but you have come in for the 2nd time before the "before" date in the

A possible problem with the 30 days on arrival at BKK initially, however, is that you could be denied boarding at LHR (or wherever) if you had no return ticket or one booked for after the 30 days. A double-entry tourist visa should prevent such a problem arising.

Just book the ticket out for 30 days and change it of course. Most likey would not know the day you want to fly out anyway.

Forgive me if this is a silly question but this visa business seems crazy complex

It gets more complicated the more I read about it !!

I thought marriage extensions were the easiest way to go, now I see here that retirement extensions are the easiest route. I'm confused....

Edited by Tuvoc

It gets more complicated the more I read about it !!

I thought marriage extensions were the easiest way to go, now I see here that retirement extensions are the easiest route. I'm confused....

It depends upon what you consider easier.

Marriage is easier financially than retirement. Double the money in the bank and 25K baht more income for retirement.

The only difference between the two is some additional documents for the marriage extension verses retirement and for marriage an additional trip to immigration to get the final stamp.

I have chosen to do 6 extensions of stay based upon marriage instead of retirement. To me is not worth the extra financial requirements. If you just look at the extra 400K baht money in the bank you could easily take that and get a greater return from it rather than having it in a bank account. If you come up short for the income needed for retirement you have to put money in the bank to make up the difference. That could mean having as much 300k baht stuck in a bank account.

I am also confused!!

My situation: Age 66, cK PAssport, Currently in Thailand on a non-O Visa that expires 15th February, renting a house (with fiancee) in Udon Thani. Getting married at the end of January.

Our travel plans: Fly to France on Schengen Visa 18 March, return to Thailand 15th June.

Stay in Thailand until mid August when hopefully will have a UK Settlement Visa (if I can sort out passport issues). If Granted we will fly to the UK (and also go back to France mid

September until start of November). Then, if UK Settlement Visa granted, go back to UK.

If UK Visa not granted will apply for new schengen visa (free under EEU rules(!) to go to France in mid Sept and fly back to Thailand start of November.

Thai Visa for me: My two thoughts were

1) to simply come back to Thailand mid June and just use normal 30 days entry visa and go across BY LAND to Laos and renew until we go to France mid September. I know the

rules changed from 30-day overland visa to 15 days but I thought I had read somewhere that if you were from UK (and some other countries) then it was re-instated to 30 days?

2) Apply for marriage visa at immigration office in Thailand.

Few questions here....

a) again I think I have read something where you have to apply 21 days before expiry of non-O visa? This would not be possible as we won't be married until after that stipulation.

B) while I can meet the income qualification(s) (both) - the funds are all held in UK bank - is this ok?

c) if marriage visa is granted my understanding is that it is for 90 days and then has to be extended? If this is the case I could not do that as we will be in France!

Hopefully I have tried to be be clear in my situation. Any advice on the best way forward?

I suggest you get a multiple entry non O based upon marriage from the consulate in Savannkhet Laos (across the river from Mukdahan). You could make the trip from Udon shortly after you get married. They do them without financial proof.

You would only need a copy of your marriage certificate, wifes ID card and house book. Plus copy of passport photo page and Lao visa/entry page.

Here's what I do:

I apply for a multiple entry "Retirement visa" (non O) in Australia. I have to get medical check, police check, bank statement, etc,

but it is all straight forward.

The one problem is that I have to take my papers to a local lawyer and get them certified (this costs about $250).

The big advantage is that I don't have to put money in a Thai bank.

This gives me two years in Thailand, if I exit just once (each time I enter I get another 12 months).

Edited by jackflash
  • Like 1

Here's what I do:

I apply for a multiple entry "Retirement visa" (non O) in Australia. I have to get medical check, police check, bank statement, etc,

but it is all straight forward.

The one problem is that I have to take my papers to a local lawyer and get them certified (this costs about $250).

The big advantage is that I don't have to put money in a Thai bank.

This gives me two years in Thailand, if I exit just once (each time I enter I get another 12 months).

It is non-oa visa not a normal O visa.

You will get a one year permit to stay for each entry up to the enter before date of your visa which is 1 year from the date of issue after that date you have to get a re-entry permit to keep your last one year permit to stay valid.

In reality you do not have to put money into a Thai bank if you can prove income of 65k baht per month by way of a income letter (for you a statutory deceleration you can do at the Australian embassy) from your embassy. Many embassies will allow you to get the letter based upon income derived from savings, pension, investment and etc.

Thanks ...re Post 26...seems like my best bet.

My wife's house book - does that mean her 'blue book' at her parents' address? We only rent a place in UT.

Is the marriage certificate sufficient in Thai and English?

Lao visa/entry page - is that what is stamped when I cross the Friendship bridge?

Any idea on the cost of the Visa there and is it issued straight away?

Presuambly this can be done when I get back from France, before normal 30 day visa expires? or does non-imm O visa have to be in date?

thanks.

Thanks ...re Post 26...seems like my best bet.

My wife's house book - does that mean her 'blue book' at her parents' address? We only rent a place in UT.

Is the marriage certificate sufficient in Thai and English?

Lao visa/entry page - is that what is stamped when I cross the Friendship bridge?

Any idea on the cost of the Visa there and is it issued straight away?

Presuambly this can be done when I get back from France, before normal 30 day visa expires? or does non-imm O visa have to be in date?

thanks.

Here house book is the blue book.

Your marriage certificate in Thai is all that is needed.

Yes it is the visa and entry stamp you get when you enter Laos.

Visa is 5000 baht.

I suggested getting the visa shortly after you get married because you stated your non-o expires in February which I assume means your permit to stay date. How would you stay here until March if that is correct?