Preparing for Wife's UK FLR advice needed.

Hello,

I would like to pick your brains and get some advice with regards to the Further Leave to Remain application.

My thai wife was given a UK settlement visa and she arrived in the UK on 22/10/13.

30months from then is April 2016 so plenty of time to prepare.

What should we both be doing during these 30 months to make the application go as smoothly as possible?

Should we keep bank statements and photos etc...

We will look into an English college course in June for her to start in Sept.

She is also working at the moment if that helps with anything.

Any advice would be great

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Basically your wife will need to provide:

1) Evidence that she meets the English requirement. This the same as for her initial visa application, A1 or the equivalent, and she can use the same certificate, even if it has expired.

2) Evidence that the financial requirement is still met. This is the same as for her initial visa; except I expect the minimums will have increased by then, However, for both her FLR and ILR applications her income, if any, can be used as well as yours. The required evidence, as with her visa application, depends on how you are meeting the financial requirement; see here.

3) Other relevant documents listed in Section 12 of the application form.

As part of the process she will need to apply for a biometric residence permit.

See here for more details and links.

Edit:

She will need the same when the time comes to apply for ILR; except that:

1) She will need her LitUK test pass and a B1, or the equivalent, in English speaking and listening.

2) For an FLR application the evidence of cohabitation is only necessary in certain circumstances; but for ILR every applicant needs it. So get her name put on your utility bills, open a joint bank account etc.

But watch this space; things could change in the next 5, or even 2, years.

Edited by 7by7

Get her name onto a couple of joint household bills and a bank account. Save a bill/letter/statement from these every half year until you apply so you have plenty of proof of living at the same address. The evidence needs to be spread across the years, so this should give you lots to choose from. Don't do as a friend of my wife's did and leave it until the end of the time and try and squeeze it into the last few months.

Sign her up at your local college ASAP to get her on the ESOL course they do and make sure it is sufficient for residency. Some colleges are very strict about academic years and if you miss the start, you're screwed. We had this happen to us, we applied a month too late and they wouldn't accept her. This was on a 2 night a week evening course.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by CharlieB

How long can FLR visa last for?

If your wife has a 2 marriage visa when must you apply before the end of the visa? I know this seems a silly Q but if you apply too early it will be refused and the same if you apply late.

Cheers

I think you will find that you are talking about applying for FLR under the old rules as a settlement visa under the old rules the visa lasted for 27 months and you would apply for ILR after 2 years, you can apply I think it is 28 days before your 2 year qualifying period or any time after the 2 year qualifying period. The op wife's visa is from 2013 so comes under the new rules so would need to apply for FLR after 30 months.

Edited by MaprangHolmes
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips.

Just added my wife's name to British Gas bills, I'm also waiting for the next council tax bill with both our names on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't forget your wife can apply for a NI number giving you another document you can use.

• 2 weeks later...

We found it useful to start the file with an index page and table showing documents (bank statements, utility, wage etc) by month in both names and separate names. As long there is an even spread covering the period under review and in excess of the minimum this should suffice. Also, be mindful the move nowadays towards e-documents, although in many cases you can request traditional hard copies.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app