Thai govt thanks Ban; Abhisit sends letter to UN

webfact

THAI POLITICS
Govt thanks Ban; Abhisit sends letter to UN

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan yesterday thanked United Nations secretary general Ban Ki-moon for his bid to head off a violent "Bangkok shutdown" and for his concern over the country's political situation.

Ban said on Friday at a press conference that he had spoken to caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva in the past three days in an effort to help them bridge their differences.

Charupong said the world was watching the country with concern, so anti-government protesters should not act on a whim. He said the prime minister decided to dissolve the House on December 9 last year following anti-government protests to prevent clashes so that the country could move on. The Abhisit government, on the other hand, had refused to dissolve the House even though 99 people were killed in political riots, and dissolved the House in 2011 only when he met a dead-end, Charupong said.

Meanwhile, the Democrat Party planned to submit a letter to the UN's headquarters in New York today to explain the country's political situation and clarify false information it says Yingluck gave to Ban.

The party dismissed claims that independent agencies had interfered in politics, saying the Constitutional Court and the National Anti-Corruption Commission had acted within the law, while insisting the government broke the law and was corrupt.

The party insisted Abhisit disapproved of the amnesty bills, even though he was part of the committee drafting them. The Democrats also accused Yingluck of telling lies by claiming that ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and red shirt leaders were excluded from the amnesty bills.

The party insisted Abhisit had not blocked reform but would support the process if the government withdrew the amnesty bills. The party also denied allegations that People's Democratic Reform Committee protesters use narcotics and accused the government of allowing ill-intentioned groups to attack PDRC guards.

The Democrats said Yingluck put the country at risk for refusing to accept the Election Commission's proposal to postpone the election.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-13

• Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Ban, I'm not guilty of any form of murder.... At least PTP is trying to play the softly softly play, call me ignorant but I really dont think she wants violence, I think if it were not for a certain big brother she would be out already. Suthep on the other hand maybe he should write a letter to Ban as well, explaining his plans.

• Like 1

Can't wait for all the moaning and crying about how Ban Ki-Moon is a red shirt supporter because he is not 100% behind the kaos.

So who's playing Agent 86 and 99?

Abhisit probably has the better profile for 86, Chitpas for 99? Can see that working...

Can see The Chief being played by either Gen. Prayuth or Suthep depending on how you want to look at it...

Thaksin can play Mr Big - a perfectly suitable role

Chalerm can play The Claw... Hahaha...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Can't wait for all the moaning and crying about how Ban Ki-Moon is a red shirt supporter because he is not 100% behind the kaos.

Abhisit probably has the better profile for 86, Chitpas for 99? Can see that working...

Can see The Chief being played by either Gen. Prayuth or Suthep depending on how you want to look at it...

I just wish one Thai politician would get smart. sad.png

• Like 1

In case anyone's looking for the letter sent to the UN...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389574108.012483.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389574140.025533.jpgSent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Excellent post. So come on you pro government experts, let's see you pick the bones out of that!

• Like 2

In case anyone's looking for the letter sent to the UN...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389574108.012483.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389574140.025533.jpgSent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for that. Quite well written.

Would be great if someone could also get a copy of Yinglucks "thank you" card from Hallmark.

Was probably an e-card, she might have to get EC approval to send a normal card to New York :P

Excellent post. So come on you pro government experts, let's see you pick the bones out of that!

I forgot to add in my previous post, the idea that the Democrat Party is not helping to organize this is laughable. Not only are Suthep, Satit and other Democrats core leaders, but Abhisit himself was on stage last night. And why are the BMA apparently helping the protesters move barricades to the protest site?

Sunai @sunaibkk 11h

BMA truck was seen transporting barricades to protesters near Pathumwan intersection #BangkokShutdown pic.twitter.com/quwVvCC3LG

This is Abhisit yesterday - hard to keep claiming he has no involvement or affiliation with the PDRC when he goes up on stage and encourages the protesters...

Bdydu_tCcAAcwHE.jpg

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 2

*Deleted post edited out*

The UN are entirely impotent. It's nice Abhisit thinks he needs to justify their actions to the UN, but it's a waste of time. They need to convince the Thai people, not the UN. So far it's the lies of the Democrats that the Thai people ain't buying.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

Abhisit sounds pretty whiny in that letter to be honest , even if he is right. That kind of language will never lead to a break through, but we are at the beginning so its expected.

The UN is impotent in the sense is has no power to force countries to do anything (what country would voluntarily join the UN if it did?). The UN, in these situations, is merely the bargaining table that allows the parties to sit down and settle their differences. How they get the parties there is not an exact science. The UN can't force the sides to get together. The can only persuade, plead, etc, both behind the scenes and in public for as long as it takes until the parties realize they are better off negotiating. Right now each side here thinks they are about to be victorious, so the time isn't right. Its not perfect, but its still a better world with the UN than without.

When you provide the transcript of Yinglucks discussion with Ban, maybe we'll have a level playing field for discussion. There must be a copy out there, otherwise how would abhisit know what Yingluck had said. Of course if Ban met Yingluck and abhisit at the same time, why didn't abhisit make his rebuttals of Yinglucks "lies" there and then, he seems so confident of his story.

The thing that puzzles me is why members of TV spend time clarifying and justifying the stance of either side. I can understand vilifying or laughing at Red shirts, or Yellow shirts, there is ample material for either pastime. But trying to present a logical and justification for the actions and speeches of either side, or indeed, I would go so far as to say any Thai politician? That to me seems an entirely complete waste of time.

But if that's the particular bubble you live in, go ahead explain why the Reds are justified in this and that, and the Yellows are correct in that and this. I love a good fiction story.

• Like 2

When you provide the transcript of Yinglucks discussion with Ban, maybe we'll have a level playing field for discussion. There must be a copy out there, otherwise how would abhisit know what Yingluck had said. Of course if Ban met Yingluck and abhisit at the same time, why didn't abhisit make his rebuttals of Yinglucks "lies" there and then, he seems so confident of his story.

Abhisit has put his response in the public domain, has signed it and is prepared to be accountable to world leaders who will all be briefed! Ban might only be the SG of UN but he regularly eats at the top table with the worlds most influential leaders. Not sure of the last time he went to Mongolia or Montenegro though. This crisis at last is about to go international. Abhisit's strategy might just be beginning to unfold.

As I said in another post, I suspect China will play a defining role in the eventual outcome of this round of Thai Politics, the eventual solution does not have to be Shin in any form!

I just wish one Thai politician would get smart. sad.png

I think Chula once said that. ;)

-m.

• Like 1

Abhisit's letter to Ban is clearly needed, as the Yingluck administration has claimed the following to the UN :

1. That the Constitutional Court and National Anti-Corruption Commission gave political judgements. That statement alone delegitimizes the Pheu Thai administration, as it attempts now to legitimize its power over them internationally.

2. That Abhisit approved of the amnesty bill !

3. That Thaksin was not to be affected by the amnesty !

4. That Abhisit had blocked reform. Abhisit has said that the Democratic party always backed reform, as long as the amnesty bills were withdrawn. The amnesty bills have never ever been withdrawn.

5. That the PDRC uses narcotics. What in the world is Pheu Thai up to here ? That drugs are the only credible explanation for the people rebelling against a corrupt administration ?

6. That the PDRC tried to impugn the innocence of the administration for the attacks against the protesters. So why did the administration stand back ? Why did the administration stage press conferences that refuted the claim of the chief of police regarding the men in black ?

With accusations like that, Abhisit has no choice but to state the truth. It is a sea of lies what Yingluck told Ban. And it also insults the intelligence of the UN - whether or not they are or are not Thaksin's father - is not the point. Thaksin seems to think they have the sensibilities ( and memory ) of Robert Amsterdam.

• Like 1

Your comment will probably be over many people's heads but it really made my day. Thanks.

Your comment will probably be over many people's heads but it really made my day. Thanks.

Yeah I'll put a tenner on it going over the OP's head as well, despite the fact it shouldn't ;)

Abhisit's letter to Ban is clearly needed, as the Yingluck administration has claimed the following to the UN :

1. That the Constitutional Court and National Anti-Corruption Commission gave political judgements. That statement alone delegitimizes the Pheu Thai administration, as it attempts now to legitimize its power over them internationally.

4. That Abhisit had blocked reform. Abhisit has said that the Democratic party always backed reform, as long as the amnesty bills were withdrawn. The amnesty bills have never ever been withdrawn.

5. That the PDRC uses narcotics. What in the world is Pheu Thai up to here ? That drugs are the only credible explanation for the people rebelling against a corrupt administration ?

6. That the PDRC tried to impugn the innocence of the administration for the attacks against the protesters. So why did the administration stand back ? Why did the administration stage press conferences that refuted the claim of the chief of police regarding the men in black ?

With accusations like that, Abhisit has no choice but to state the truth. It is a sea of lies what Yingluck told Ban. And it also insults the intelligence of the UN - whether or not they are or are not Thaksin's father - is not the point. Thaksin seems to think they have the sensibilities ( and memory ) of Robert Amsterdam.

Where did you get all this information from? Have you a part of the red team?

All of us make assumptions ( which is fun I have to admit) but some real proven facts would be nice.

If we are talking of the outside view on Thailand, most countries give a s..... , but there is a general concern about decoration of Democracy in Thailand which can be attributed to both sides. I still don't understand why the Anti government side has denied any outside help as a moderator. At least some facts would be more transparent.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Abhisit has put his response in the public domain, has signed it and is prepared to be accountable to world leaders who will all be briefed! Ban might only be the SG of UN but he regularly eats at the top table with the worlds most influential leaders. Not sure of the last time he went to Mongolia or Montenegro though. This crisis at last is about to go international. Abhisit's strategy might just be beginning to unfold.

As I said in another post, I suspect China will play a defining role in the eventual outcome of this round of Thai Politics, the eventual solution does not have to be Shin in any form!

He is quite capable of lying in the public domain and has done it before. As I said, let's see the unabridged transcript of what Yingluck said to Ban and if it tallies with what abhisit alleges I'll believe him.

Until that time I will take abhisits utterances with a pinch of salt.

Did I mention Mongolia or Montenegro, can't see that I did? Or China, come to think of it..............

Edited by fab4

Could you provide a copy of YS letter setting out these claims, or some kind of legitimate transcript of it being said in conversation to the UN representative.

Without the above, we really don't know what has been claimed by the government and are simply working off rumors and spurious claims.........that make up 90% of what goes on in Thai politics. Provide the documents, then we can do a point by point comparison based on facts. Assuming anyone really cares what these bunch of clowns claim.

Quote: The Abhisit government, on the other hand, had refused to dissolve the House even though 99 people were killed in political riots, and dissolved the House in 2011 only when he met a dead-end, Charupong said.

Oh Charupong, you naughty boy. What a lie. Abhisit's offer of an early election was televised live. Your boss sent Jutaporn an SMS, ordering him to reject the offer.... don't you remember?

Exactly!!

All of those lives lost can be added to Thaksin's other catalogue of wanton murder!!

Another thing, Yingluck only dissolved the house because she had no choice as the people didn't accept her parliamentary abuses and law breaking bills and came out onto the streets to vent their feelings!!

• Like 1