Many Stolen cars found at East Pattaya secure compound

webfact

Many Stolen cars found at East Pattaya secure compound

car-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- 28 vehicles, all suspected of being stolen, were discovered in a secure compound in East Pattaya on Saturday afternoon.

Provincial Police Investigators led the investigation following complaints from many car owners and rental company’s that a group of Thai men were renting cars and not returning them.

Khun Chaleuy aged 36 is the owner of a White Honda Civic which he sent to a rental company. The vehicle was rented out to two Thai Men for a period of 10 days at a cost of 8,000 Baht in December 2013 and was never returned.

Luckily the vehicle was fitted with a GPS Tracking device and over a 2 day period the signal was monitored by Police. The vehicle remained stationary at a location in Soi Nong Yai in East Pattaya.

Officers went to the location and found a secure compound which was broken-into and 28 vehicles were found inside.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/114877/many-stolen-cars-found-at-east-pattaya-secure-compound/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-01-13

Is there a device available you can hide away dormant in your car and then activate and request a GPS location?

Could this be done with an old smartphone, pre paid SIM card, the right app and a small battery pack to last a week?

Yes...they are available from several sources. Several work better than others. You'll need to a little searching. You install two Sims. One to receive an one to transmit. Check through Chinese electronic companies or even at Panthip center in Bangkok. Can't remember or find any direct links I had saved. If I find them I'll post them but you should find them before then.

• Like 1

Is there a device available you can hide away dormant in your car and then activate and request a GPS location?

Could this be done with an old smartphone, pre paid SIM card, the right app and a small battery pack to last a week?

Yes...they are available from several sources. Several work better than others. You'll need to a little searching. You install two Sims. One to receive an one to transmit. Check through Chinese electronic companies or even at Panthip center in Bangkok. Can't remember or find any direct links I had saved. If I find them I'll post them but you should find them before then.

Thanks, will have a look around Pantip.

Why are 2 SIM cards required?

As a side note, DTAC prepaid SIM cards expire after 6 months, but you can extend the service for 2 baht/month, so a cheap solution.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

As a side note, DTAC prepaid SIM cards expire after 6 months, but you can extend the service for 2 baht/month, so a cheap solution.

You install two Sims. One to receive an one to transmit.

I bought a zoombak GPS transponder in the states. Cost about $50 and $19 a month for service. It is rechargeable or can be hard wired in the CSR. I was able to track my car through a website and with my smartphone, realtime. Surelythere can be a Chinese knock off aavailable there.

"Luckily the vehicle was fitted with a GPS Tracking device and over a 2 day period the signal was monitored by Police."

And why, pray tell, did they only monitor it for two days? Why not go there right away? Were they checking to see which big cheeses might be involved in this, give them fair warning to cover some tracks? Or perhaps just a simple way to keep a couple of cops "busy" at the station?

This past summer I ran into a guy in Oregon that had a GPS tracker embedded in the bottom of his bike seat. He was actually hoping his bike got stolen so he could nab the bike thieves that are so active these days. Good on the cops for busting that place.

You install two Sims. One to receive an one to transmit.

Right, I got that, but a phone seems to receive and transmit on just one SIM card, so still wondering, why 2 SIM cards.

Right, I got that, but a phone seems to receive and transmit on just one SIM card, so still wondering, why 2 SIM cards.

The device does many other things depending on what version you buy and how much money you spend for it. They run 3,000B and up. It is a very crude cell phone sending only SMS messages. You can monitor not only location but you can shut the engine off, listen to the people in the car if a microphone is installed, have a conversation with them, and even take pictures with a pin hole camera if one is installed. All that uses one SIM. Then you send commands to the device with the other SIM. You only need one SIM if you only need location and nothing else. Two SIM's if you want more features. It's just the way the electronics are set up and designed in order to keep the cost down. If you want to pay 20,000B+, then yes, only one SIM is needed because you are paying for the extra cell phone electronics and all the extras.

I never managed to extend DTAC prepaid sim cards, how do you do ?

Thank you.

"Luckily the vehicle was fitted with a GPS Tracking device and over a 2 day period the signal was monitored by Police."

And why, pray tell, did they only monitor it for two days? Why not go there right away? Were they checking to see which big cheeses might be involved in this, give them fair warning to cover some tracks? Or perhaps just a simple way to keep a couple of cops "busy" at the station?

Not even the obligatory low-level worker was arrested, it seems. It also seems these fools have never heard of a stakeout - this happens too many times, so Emster, I think you are spot on the money. "Dick" for detective is oh so appropriate.

Thank you.

I am sure there is a way to do it by typing *(a bunch of numbers)#, but I just called the call center and it was done. Got a SMS as soon as I hung up, saying number extended by 6 month, 12 baht deducted.

Thank you.

*113* (number of days to request extension for) *9# (call button). You can increase up to one year, 2 baht for 1 month.

And why, pray tell, did they only monitor it for two days? Why not go there right away?

It took two days to realise that they had the map upside down.

The car was in a secure compound and police needed to find someone who could break into it.

The device does many other things depending on what version you buy and how much money you spend for it. They run 3,000B and up. It is a very crude cell phone sending only SMS messages. You can monitor not only location but you can shut the engine off, listen to the people in the car if a microphone is installed, have a conversation with them, and even take pictures with a pin hole camera if one is installed. All that uses one SIM. Then you send commands to the device with the other SIM. You only need one SIM if you only need location and nothing else. Two SIM's if you want more features. It's just the way the electronics are set up and designed in order to keep the cost down. If you want to pay 20,000B+, then yes, only one SIM is needed because you are paying for the extra cell phone electronics and all the extras.

Never seen one need 2 sims and cant imagine why ?? Data traffic and SMS can be handled on one sim just as simply (in fact simpler) than on 2.

Unless one is a backup solution in case of failure of the first ?? But thats not what your describing.

Any link to this 2 sim model ??

And why, pray tell, did they only monitor it for two days? Why not go there right away?

It took two days to realise that they had the map upside down.

The car was in a secure compound and police needed to find someone who could break into it.

Had they lost their keys ??

• Like 1

"and even take pictures with a pin hole camera if one is installed"

A pinhole camera? Don't think you'll find a SIM card in one of those!

"and even take pictures with a pin hole camera if one is installed"

A pinhole camera? Don't think you'll find a SIM card in one of those!

Its a separate security camera. Like one you would attach to your computer.