What are the tips in naming a business in Thailand?

anthony89

I'd like to consolidate ideas and thoughts from people living in Bangkok about the necessary tips in naming a business. This is necessary before doing a company registration in Thailand. I'd appreciate to receive your ideas and thoughts about this matter.

Thanks a lot.

are you choosing a brand name / trading name? or just the company name for registration?

if you already know the brand name / trading name, just choose a company name that is similar (to avoid confusion when customers assess invoices and/or bank statements)

if you are asking advice for choosing a brand name / trading name, you will need to provide more detail about the type of business and the target customer profile if you want to receive any meaningful input

• Like 1

Try to keep it simple, and don't bother with anything that has "royal" "siam" or "elephant" in the name. Obvious names (and combinations) are most likely already taken (i.e. Brit-Siam Trading, Can-Thai Investments, US-Thai Holdings, etc).

When using English, avoid those nasty English words with "silent" letters if possible, like "Prompt Psycho Knicker-Knockers". Remember that your paperwork is going to go through a lot of different hands, many of which probably are not fluent in whatever your native tongue is. Translations may be difficult to say the least.

For the reason as well, make sure your examples are either typed in easy-to-read large fonts, or take your time and print (in capitals) very neatly, or you will end up with "Brather" instead of "Brother" and there is very little that can be done to change the name if they spell it incorrectly, even if it's obviously their fault (yeah, voice of experience talking here, and my stuff was very neat).

Also remember that apparently it is much more difficult to dissolve a company once it's been registered, than it is to register it in the first place. Keep that in mind if you are only planning on a short term venture.

Also keep in mind that, in some areas at least, I'm told the authorities are looking very closely at "proxy" companies where Thai directors control (on paper) 51% of the shares and a foreigner controls the other 49% (with the proxy controlling the other 51%), whose prime purpose is to purchase property. (There was supposed to be a big "crack-down" last year I think it was, but I believe the main target was proxy companies buying up farmland in Isaan for larger, foreign-owned companies.)

However, a company that holds a property is probably easier to get rid of it as you just change the name of the foreign director and the company (and it's assets) are now controlled by someone else.

This is a loophole that is probably one of the main reasons why it is so hard to pick a company name these days, as there are so many of those companies already registered on the books. I probably submitted 12-15 names before they finally came back with a hodge-podge name made up of bits of the other ones:

"xxx Investment Group Company Limited" Sheesh - put that on a business card and people will look at you odd. xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.v2JGDFj1C6.webp

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 2

Monks who can afford own Jet! ( coffee places, travel agencies)

Or Thousand lucky titanium dragons. This can apply to restaurants and gold stores and even Victoria's Secret (what is her secret?) success comes with It.

Tasty if you want to say aroi. Like burgers. ....... Let's go to tasties....wow shi,t I got it Watson .

If you come from the large land mass that is just west of New Zealand "I reckon mate" you would have to include the word Australia or Down Under in the name of your business. (just kidding)

If you come from another part of the world, then you should attempt to convey 2/3 key bits of information about your new company, within your business name, like what it does, how it's different and where you are!

"Speedy Printing of Bangkok", "Reliable Day Care of Chalong", "Performance Auto Repair Bangkok".

If you have all the money in the world to advertise your new company and brand, like Apple, Xerox, and Oracle, then just pick a name out of the dictionary or make up a word, and then spend millions of dollars on advertising your product/service. Eventually the public will catch on to what you do.

Just follow the rule that your company name should have "Lucky" or "Rich" in the name somewhere, and preferably both of them, and you'll be OK. Bear in mind that achieving business success in Thailand is purely related to being lucky or making merit at the temple or buying the right amulet on the right day, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with hard work, skill, brains, market research, discipline, prudence, foresight, bold risk-taking, or good decision-making. Thais for example are jealous of Google, because it's the luckiest company in the world. Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious.

...if I only click on Google..."I(already) Feel Lucky"....laugh.png

You may want to start at the beginning and decide who your target market is, if it is not the Thai market then some of the points raised are not applicable, you should also bear in mind what web site names are available (especially if you are relying predominantly on this form of marketing) it may also be prudent to buy web site address in advance of registering (or attempting to register the name here in Thailand see previous comments), this could set you back a few baht per name but better than losing your new company address before you even start. If your market is indeed Thai, then conduct your research and ask as many Thai's as you can to give you their opinion on the options you have in mind, what better way than getting the answer straight from the horse’s mouth.

Try to keep it simple, and don't bother with anything that has "royal" "siam" or "elephant" in the name. Obvious names (and combinations) are most likely already taken (i.e. Brit-Siam Trading, Can-Thai Investments, US-Thai Holdings, etc).

When using English, avoid those nasty English words with "silent" letters if possible, like "Prompt Psycho Knicker-Knockers".

Actually, I do rather like that suggestion you came up with. Prompt Psycho Knicker-Knockers sounds like it could be a big hit among the bar girls, but not sure what product or services you would sell to them. Protection money from customers or international debt collection from deadbeat benefactors, perhaps?

Make sure Thai people can say it, clearly and easily. Certainly letters in English don't translate that well to Thai.

Eg: Flied Lice = Fried Rice

It has to be said.

"It is Fried Rice you silly plick" - one of the funniest movie lines ever.

How about " Somchai's Drunken Whiskey Delivery Service and Motorcycle Repair Shop" ? Oh wait, that's already taken.

How about:

"Somchai's Ship Shipping Ship Shipping Shipping Ships Service " ?

"Sultry Suzy's Sinfully Sweet Sailor Seducing Snack Stand" ?

"Quality Quaint Queens Quoting Queer Questions Quickly" ?

"Gastronome Greg's Gourmet Giant Gecko Grill" ?

Then again, those suggestions may already be taken as well.

I would name it "Going Out of Business". It will save you the expense of having signs made later.

When in your expert opinion will I go out of business?

The business having almost paid back initial investment, plus startup costs.

Freehold,so I am well in the black.

I would name it "Going Out of Business". It will save you the expense of having signs made later.

When in your expert opinion will I go out of business?

The business having almost paid back initial investment, plus startup costs.

Freehold,so I am well in the black.

Don't let any locals in on your secret!