Non-O (Marraige) / Work Permit

First, why are you asking me? I did not set this up.

Get my facts right? I asked the person directly at the source... the lady running the immigration office. I wanted this because I dont want to have to run out if I lose my job. I think you need to get your facts straight, and as I said, the facts are these things change over time and even change from which place you go. As I said she mentioned this was a new regulation. And, to answer your question, they issue non-o i suppose so you can bring your money over and support/visit your wife. It is not a "working" visa. Just giving you their probably logic, not mine.

I appreciate your comments, and whilst it is true that different offices and staff give different answers to the same questions, you did say that a Thai person did the asking, and then you said that you asked the person directly at the source.

Firstly, there can, as I'm sure you already know, be problems in translation when asking Thai people to ask something for you, not just language problems either smile.png

Secondly, 'direct from the source' regarding work permits wouldn't be anyone in immigration. They might try to appear as though they know the rules, but seeing as they don't actually issue work permits, and possibly might not even have seen one, then they aren't really the source.

The labour department issue work permits. Asking immigration about work permits is like asking a shoe shop about fish. You might get an opinion, but it's unlikely to be an expert one.

Thanks guys.!!

So I think we'll do a Single Non O one and extend it based on his first salary slip/ contract....I do not want to do a border run with him every 90 days :-)

(unless of course there're other ways to stay in TH without a border run then we'll get a multiple entry.)

Out of curiosity, anyone extends a stay using Thai child reason?? Is it straight forward?

(We are married and have a son under 2)

Once again...thanks and much appreciate for all the help!!

I have a similar situation.

I have been living here and working regionally for 7 years or so with a Non-O marriage visa. Last year my company was purchased and I was transferred to the Thailand division, meaning I had to get a work permit. I kept my Non-O (switching to a Non-B could mean I have to leave if I quit) and using that I got my work permit. I was then able to extend my Non-O using the pay slips from my new job. I did not have that much money in the bank either.

I have never done a border run, I have a multiple entry and if I were here for 90 consecutive days I would only have to do the 90 day report same as the retirement visa holders. Of course I have never stayed that long before, my longest stay at home has been 45 days...

I have a similar situation.

I have been living here and working regionally for 7 years or so with a Non-O marriage visa. Last year my company was purchased and I was transferred to the Thailand division, meaning I had to get a work permit. I kept my Non-O (switching to a Non-B could mean I have to leave if I quit) and using that I got my work permit. I was then able to extend my Non-O using the pay slips from my new job. I did not have that much money in the bank either.

I have never done a border run, I have a multiple entry and if I were here for 90 consecutive days I would only have to do the 90 day report same as the retirement visa holders. Of course I have never stayed that long before, my longest stay at home has been 45 days...

You have an extension of stay based upon marriage with a multiple re-entry permit not a visa. That is why you can make 90 day reports instead of leaving every 90 days.

First, why are you asking me? I did not set this up.

Get my facts right? I asked the person directly at the source... the lady running the immigration office. I wanted this because I dont want to have to run out if I lose my job. I think you need to get your facts straight, and as I said, the facts are these things change over time and even change from which place you go. As I said she mentioned this was a new regulation. And, to answer your question, they issue non-o i suppose so you can bring your money over and support/visit your wife. It is not a "working" visa. Just giving you their probably logic, not mine.

I appreciate your comments, and whilst it is true that different offices and staff give different answers to the same questions, you did say that a Thai person did the asking, and then you said that you asked the person directly at the source.

Firstly, there can, as I'm sure you already know, be problems in translation when asking Thai people to ask something for you, not just language problems either smile.png

Secondly, 'direct from the source' regarding work permits wouldn't be anyone in immigration. They might try to appear as though they know the rules, but seeing as they don't actually issue work permits, and possibly might not even have seen one, then they aren't really the source.

The labour department issue work permits. Asking immigration about work permits is like asking a shoe shop about fish. You might get an opinion, but it's unlikely to be an expert one.

I guess I should have said "I had the person asked at the source". Needless oversight.

Anyway, I hope it all works out for the op of course. Thailand is not black and white though, as you mentioned, it is a land where one thing works here, but it wont work there. Where you get one answer here, and another answer there.

I was getting my, I presume, non-b work visa renewed at the time. The lady told us that I could not go through this process on a non-o based on marriage. I take it she was wrong, but in her world she was right I suppose? I hope that is clear this time (and thus would not be able to get a, hello, work permit)? I would hope people could read between the lines a tad.

That is the experience I had, and it had happened another time in the distant past as well, but that was because my non-o was not extended based upon marriage.

Anyway, good luck to all, that was my input, or lack thereof smile.png

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

I have been told, from an (always) unreliable source, that you can't get a work permit from a non-o. You must start with a tourist visa. As with most things, this makes no sense whatsoever. You may get some confusion on this one because I think it is a pretty recent development.

Umm, your credibility doesn't increase as your souce(s) of information go from one always unreliable source, to the "person directly at the source," to "multiple sources, too."

As you say, "As with most things, this makes no sense whatsoever."

Either you or whoever you claim asked on your behalf didn't pose the questions clearly or interpret the answer clearly.

I asked the person directly at the source... the lady running the immigration office.
I have heard this from multiple sources too.

The always unreliable sources are the Thais, the ones giving me what I need. Yes, those Thais can be both unreliable, AND (get this) the source. The point is I have been given this information recently, and once in the past as well. As mentioned, the time in the past was due to me getting the non-o, and coming over and not extending it based on marriage I gathered?

The real point is, if you think you are going to go get one of these visas, and just have no problems whatsoever, depending on where you go, you may have another thing coming. You can read all you want on here, and if you go to changwattana it will probably come true, if you go to some immigration office outside of bangkok, it may all be different.

Edited by isawasnake

Hi, just setting off from Mukdahan and we got non o multiple visa. It's very easy I have to say.

We finally got a multiple one. It's just because we met a guy who said he got a non o multi and work permit and just dothe 90 days report. Strange though that he said he cant do a year extension as the immigration in korat told him they cannot do it for him so he has to get a non o every year. He's got 2 kids, married.

Anyway, we might have to do 90 day run and if that is the way to be...then it has to be.

Thanks for your help again!

Pat

Ps. I'm in the car so pardon my spelling and all.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The only reason that a person could not get an extension of stay based upon marriage is not meeting the financial requirements. Which I am certain was that persons problem.

You can get the extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries the visa allows. No need to wait for the visa to expire.

He said the money is not a problem. But then who knows.

I'll take an opportunity to go to Vietnam and Malaysia for a 90 day run if my hus band can't do 90 days report within the country...

We might go to UK for Xmas as well so I think we'll make the most of the visa before an extension.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app