Driving License Renewal by Proxy

st11x

G'day,

My 5 year licenses will expire late next year and I wouldn't be in the country then. Do you know if there is any way for me to get them renewed by authorizing someone here in Chiang Mai to do it?

If not and they expire, will it be a hassle to get another 5 year then (like starting over with a 1 year)?

Thanks

Matt

As mentioned, you will have to go through a variety of tests to renew. Also, the various documents such as certificate of residency, medical, etc. will be needed so don't see it being possible to do by proxy. Not sure about one year, but believe several months leeway is allowed based on some reports on Thaivisa. You can renew up to 90 days before expiration if that will fit into your departure plans. Or perhaps ask them if they can give you an exception to renew earlier than that.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I am about 1.5 years from the expiry date, doubt they will allow me to renew them that early.

Hopefully they will give me the 1 year leeway when I get back, else it looks like I may have to start all over.

Matt

My understanding is, the 1 year has to expire, if you try to renew a 1 year before its passed you get another 1 year.. Logic being you need to spend a year on that provisional license..

The 5 year cannot expire, if you do your back to starting again with a 1 year.

Not true. They will indeed renew 5 year licenses after expiry, without even commenting on the fact that it expired. In fact you are better off doing so. If you renew a short time after expiry then you get six years, since it expires five birthdays after you renew, not five years from the expiry date. I do not know how long after expiry they will renew, but it must be at least weeks based on my and others experience. I suggest that the OP ask at DLT.

Edited by neilrob

Not true. They will indeed renew 5 year licenses after expiry, without even commenting on the fact that it expired. In fact you are better off doing so. If you renew a short time after expiry then you get six years, since it expires five birthdays after you renew, not five years from the expiry date. I do not know how long after expiry they will renew, but it must be at least weeks based on my and others experience. I suggest that the OP ask at DLT.

Yeah no problem renewing your 5 year licence late. My boss did his and it had been expired 8 years he just showed em his IDP and they renewed for another 5 years without blinking an eye. This was at Au Udon.

Yes they roll around to the next birthday, so cunning timing can secure a near 6 year one..

But they operated that policy of 'if a 5 year has expired go do a 1 year' on Phuket.. Saw it happen.

As always, inconsistencies abound..

Yeah no problem renewing your 5 year licence late. My boss did his and it had been expired 8 years he just showed em his IDP and they renewed for another 5 years without blinking an eye. This was at Au Udon.

Odd how a (presumably non Thai issued as they are annual and you say expired many years) IDP, based on a license that isnt Thai, had much bearing on reissuing a Thai one !!!

I am on my second 5 year now and they made me sit through the laughable road safety video the second renewal round, not the first one oddly tho !!! First time was just paperwork, second time they did the eye tests, reaction tests, and made me watch the video.

Odd how a (presumably non Thai issued as they are annual and you say expired many years) IDP, based on a license that isnt Thai, had much bearing on reissuing a Thai one !!!

Don't know why you find it odd. The person had a 5 year license and it expired. He came back to Thailand with an IDP that match his home country license and they renewed his thai license.

I let my 1 year temp license lapse and when I went to renew (after 12 months expired) I had to sit the full test crappola because I did not have an IDP. they gave me a 5 year license though.

I am on my second 5 year now and they made me sit through the laughable road safety video the second renewal round, not the first one oddly tho !!! First time was just paperwork, second time they did the eye tests, reaction tests, and made me watch the video.

I understand there are two reaction tests.. one is to apply the breaks, what is the second reaction ?

That's cuz u missed it the first time around.

There is a reaction test where you sit in a chair with your foot on the simulated gas pedal and wait for the green light to change to red and then you simulate hitting the brake. There is also a depth perception test where you line up a couple of sticks on the other side of the room via remote control. You also take a color blindness test to pick out the colors the Attendent points at. These are round colors of various shapes. And finally you put chin in the spot and the attendant changes the color of the lights that are located approx 180 degrees from each other - this tests your peripheral (side) vision.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by PoorSucker
removed tangled quotes