Foreign numb nuts on stage

jkinbkk

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were probable naïve backpackers that would do anything to caught a cool photo to upload to there Facebook account, thinking they were superstars and with a naïve attitude from there own country, thinking they were safe lol seen this kind of attitude from people I know holidaying in the land of smiles

They are giving 500 baht a day to travel from Chonburi,so maybe silly farang are on more

I don't believe you. Proof please....

Only reason I don't join the protests is because I don't want to be deported. I can't vote here, so what !? This is my home and what happens here affects me too. I understand the issues and I have an opinion. I have good Thai friends I have long discussions about politics with, we actually rather enjoy hearing what the others know that we don't and each others opinions. I am more up with the latest news and they know the Thai bits that I miss due to my poor language skills.

Citizens can vote. Same as all the other countries. If you have denounced your home country and now posses a Thai passport, you can vote. Where's the problem?

Why should you have to denounce your home country to become a Thai Citizen - that doesn't happen the other way around in the UK - and seriously what really are the chances of becoming a Thai citizen?

Plenty of Thais were actually born in other countries and only came to Thailand after they finished their education. Mark (Abhisit Vejjajiva) is a Geordie who came back to Thailand after completing his education and became PM, he is ethnically Hakka Chinese. Korn Chatikavanij (Democrat FInance Minister), was also born in the UK in London and was a classmate of Abhisit and Boris Johnson.

Quite a number of friends of various nationalities, who have been here many years, are now Thai citizens with Thai passports, they have to change their names to Thai names. One friend, originally from the UK, is now called Supachai. Some are running major companies, they are entitled to vote and voice their opinions. The parents of many of the Thai Chinese that are running the demonstrations, also renounced their citizenship and became Thai. Also Chinese friends have become Thai but had to change their name from Wong and Lee etc to a Thai sounding name.

Many of the palaces and even Hua Lampong station were not designed by Thais, but by Italians who later were given Thai citizenship and Thai names. Silpakorn University was founded by Italian born art professor Corrado Feroci, who took the Thai name Silpa Bhirasri when he became a Thai citizen. It is the leading Thai university in the fine arts and archaeology.

Hardly accurate.

Abhisit went to junior school in Thailand and went to Eton at 13, Korn went to Winchester at 16.

There are a few Thais who send their kids to prep school overseas at 7 but not many. There are a collection of old monied Thai families that have been sending their kids to boarding schools for generation but the total number is very few.

I don't know how many for university overseas but probably in the single thousands per year.

If you agree to protest in exchange for money, then you are just like a whore. That's all.

Actually nothing wrong morally with being a sex worker, as you're not hurting anyone else.

However being complicit with undermining democracy in your country is betraying your fellow countrymen, far worse.

But like any other question of morality, if everyone else is already doing it from a practical POV no harm in going with the flow. . .

havent seen the footage, but how do you know they are tourists ?

It was a dead give away.........They were wearing fisherman's pants, had freshly braided dreads, and had flies buzzing around them because they hadn't washed for a month.....thumbsup.gif

"had freshly braided dreads"? can't believe that!

Edited by MAJIC

JKinBKK.. Totally agree man.. People come here and stay a few weeks and think they know what's going on. Hell, half the Thai people don't even know what's going on.

Half of what amount? Statements claiming "half" or "all" have little merit, unless there has been extensive research, which would be difficult at best. Perhaps restating and using alternate words would have a bit more credibility.

Link from Reuters media.

Two Tourists set upon by protest group in Thai capital today. Consular officials confirmed the 2 tourists from Italy and America were set upon this morning Thai time by after shouting support messages of the current government which angered surrounding members of the Democratic party supporters. The 2 tourists reported both saying it was still safer than posting in the general forum.tongue.png

post-151649-0-40254600-1389657762_thumb.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 2

Link from Reuters media.

Two Tourists set upon by protest group in Thai capital today. Consular officials confirmed the 2 tourists from Italy and America were set upon this morning Thai time by after shouting support messages of the current government which angered surrounding members of the Democratic party supporters. The 2 tourists reported both saying it was still safer than posting in the general forum.tongue.png

.Of TVF?-whistling.gif

I know a young lady who's mother is American and her dad is Thai.

She looks 100% Farang.

I'm sure that there are also Farangs, who are also Thai citizens.

Of course there are white Thai citizens. Some here are shocked at anyone white doing something they think is reserved for brown Thais.

Would they be so upset if the protester was wearing a turban or looked Chinese?

• Like 1

I think that the very things that attract us as expats, the things that make Thailand unique and interesting, can be the same things that provoke us to outrage, or to clamor for justice. I wouldn't want Thailand to become like the country I left, like a typical western "democracy" with all the rules and regulations, bureaucracy and bullshit.

All you nutty farangs who want to inject yourselves into the protests, please go home. Don't spoil it for the rest of us who just want to live quietly here under the radar.

I feel that your type spoil things for those of us who have been here for a long time and will spend most of our lives here, have kids etc. Your cowardly hiding and blindly taking it up the **** make the Thai authorities think we all will.
  • Like 1

Citizens can vote. Same as all the other countries. If you have denounced your home country and now posses a Thai passport, you can vote. Where's the problem?

Why should you have to denounce your home country to become a Thai Citizen - that doesn't happen the other way around in the UK - and seriously what really are the chances of becoming a Thai citizen?

If you're married to a Thai, very good chance of becoming Thai. For some reason most foreigners don't even bother to look into getting it.

Putting aside the validity of whatever these "tourists" had to say was worth listening to or not...

I think it's very myopic for Thais to completely discredit and reject any opinions from people born outside of Thailand.

Short sighted, very immature, and often beyond logic.

Plenty of people have moved here and made Thailand their home, we contribute, and all of this affects us too.

Permanent residents should be allowed to vote + all the other trimmings, especially those with wives and children.

It reeks of xenophobia and "ooh this is Thailand, suck it" isn't an answer worth dignifying with a response.

Permanent residents is just that, so you are just living here on a permanent basis you are not a citizen so no voting rights. Get citizenship and you can vote and have all the rights. I know a few guys that have gotten Thai citizenship, it takes time and not cheap but can be done.

Don't complain when you have choices, you want to vote get your citizenship.

5000 baht isn't that expensive for citizenship. 3 years isn't that long.

@OP: Whether you agree with what they are doing or not is it not better to actually be part of what THEY believe in rather than being the mighty keyboard warrior dissing those that actually get off their sofa?

No! ,stay on your sofa and dont be tempted to get mixed up in this mess

• Like 1

I think that the very things that attract us as expats, the things that make Thailand unique and interesting, can be the same things that provoke us to outrage, or to clamor for justice. I wouldn't want Thailand to become like the country I left, like a typical western "democracy" with all the rules and regulations, bureaucracy and bullshit.

All you nutty farangs who want to inject yourselves into the protests, please go home. Don't spoil it for the rest of us who just want to live quietly here under the radar.

I feel that your type spoil things for those of us who have been here for a long time and will spend most of our lives here, have kids etc. Your cowardly hiding and blindly taking it up the **** make the Thai authorities think we all will.

I live here and I have kids. Nobody is doing anything to me so I don't know what you are getting at. I'm quite happy here and if you aren't perhaps you should leave rather than ruin it for the rest of us.

• Like 2

@OP: Whether you agree with what they are doing or not is it not better to actually be part of what THEY believe in rather than being the mighty keyboard warrior dissing those that actually get off their sofa?

Mikebike and those who agree with your comment, your position probably drew some laughs from those foreigners who are employed by a government agency, or a crown or state corporation or a multinational employer. Aside from the legal references both Seavision Burma and George have provided, most of the foreigners who are employed by the entities I referenced are subject to some sort of employee code of conduct which forbids political activity. Here's an example of what some foreigners are subject to;

The terms and conditions of your employment prohibit you from participating or intervening directly or indirectly in any political campaign activity or supporting any such activity. To maintain adherence to this prohibition, the following guidelines govern you in their relation to political activities;

1. The name, or other identifying features your employer and/or any of its operating units and/or their respective affiliated operations and/or operating units may not be used on letters or other written materials, (including through the use of social media) intended for support of a political campaign on behalf of or against any candidate for public office, political party, or political group, including the solicitation of funds for such purpose or activities. This includes a prohibition on use of your employer’s letterhead, other stationary including email formats, email accounts, telephone lines, and voicemail systems for communication.

2. You are not to use employer funds, office supplies or any facilities including; office equipment, computer equipment, social media and communications system on behalf of or against any candidate for public office, political party, or political group.

3. You are forbidden from presenting yourself as speaking or stating that you speak on behalf of your employer when expressing your personal political views, and should state explicitly that you are speaking as an individual, not on behalf of the employer, when the failure to do so might be construed as an expression of support or opposition by the employer. This prohibition includes oral or written statements made using social media. You are forbidden from canvassing or otherwise promoting your views within your employer organization.

4. No employee may perform tasks in any way related to a political campaign for public office, a political party, or political group in his/her capacity as an employee.

Nothing in this policy prohibits the employee from participating in political activity in his/her individual capacity separate from their relationship to the employer. In addition to the restrictions set forth above; any such political activity must be performed outside of normal work hours or during a leave of absence without pay taken with the employer's approval.

All questions regarding political activity should be directed in writing to the legal services department. You are reminded that a failure to comply with this code of conduct can result in serious sanction including the immediate termination of your employment and its associated immigration and employment visas, and the loss of benefits including health care, general insurance and non vested retirement plan options.

Not everyone is on foreign social benefits or pension or has his own company and can afford to engage in what is ostensibly an illegal activity.

If you can afford the risk and the resulting serious penalty, go for it. However, for those who have something to lose, it is prudent to vent on TVF instead.

its possible some non-thais do know the issues!

Yes it is. However, the law is quite clear, foreigners must not become directly involved.

I don't know about you, but I don't have much confidence in the Thai judicial system and would not be willing to take chances as a defendant.

All it takes is one petty or vindictive person and a foreigner's life can be ruined in Thailand.

• Like 2

I know a young lady who's mother is American and her dad is Thai.

She looks 100% Farang.

I'm sure that there are also Farangs, who are also Thai citizens.

Of course there are white Thai citizens. Some here are shocked at anyone white doing something they think is reserved for brown Thais.

Would they be so upset if the protester was wearing a turban or looked Chinese?

What do you mean looked Chinese? When they televise the parliament here it looks just like Beijing without uniforms. Maybe Taiwan would be closer, they like a good punch up in parliament there.