Cant eat chili, not a fan of rice, anyone else?

lmfao

Can you just try to think differently and not stick to the stupid ideas that we are taught in the west or that retarded doctors can say ? You are abroad now and should consider it a chance to change our stupid habits from farangnistan.

Don't worry mate I have changed a lot of habits etc since moving to Thailand "when in Rome do as the romans do" but I will never forget my roots.. and have lived in many other farang lands but have found as Thailand don't really give any rights to farang, I wont be turning Thai anytime soon lol

Edited by lmfao
  • Like 1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McDonalds and 7-eleven the only places with non-spicy food locally? Personally I've never found anything remotely edible in a 7-eleven. And as for McDonalds, I believe it was Anthony Bourdain who said a Chicken McNugget was the most disgusting thing he'd ever put in his mouth - though unwashed warthog anus came a close second.

Anyway, putting aside my prejudices against junk food, surely there are other western-style fast foods available: KFC, Burger King, The Pizza Company, Pizza Hut and (rather better) Scoozi which also does a range of pasta dishes? Most of these will deliver.

And what about Japanese food? Fuji, Ootoya, Zen, Oishi, Yayoi and possibly a few others. Some of the dishes may be spiced up a bit for Thai tastes (and are inevitably accompanied by the totally inauthentic Korean kimchi), but it's easy enough to avoid the chilli if you want to.

There are also a few places serving German food and beer in the suburbs, though harder to track down.

If the OP mentions where in suburban Bangkok he lives people might be able to give more targeted recommendations.

• Like 2

McDonalds and 7-eleven the only places with non-spicy food locally? Personally I've never found anything remotely edible in a 7-eleven. And as for McDonalds, I believe it was Anthony Bourdain who said a Chicken McNugget was the most disgusting thing he'd ever put in his mouth - though unwashed warthog anus came a close second.

Anyway, putting aside my prejudices against junk food, surely there are other western-style fast foods available: KFC, Burger King, The Pizza Company, Pizza Hut and (rather better) Scoozi which also does a range of pasta dishes? Most of these will deliver.

And what about Japanese food? Fuji, Ootoya, Zen, Oishi, Yayoi and possibly a few others. Some of the dishes may be spiced up a bit for Thai tastes (and are inevitably accompanied by the totally inauthentic Korean kimchi), but it's easy enough to avoid the chilli if you want to.

There are also a few places serving German food and beer in the suburbs, though harder to track down.

If the OP mentions where in suburban Bangkok he lives people might be able to give more targeted recommendations.

I live just over the border of Nonthuburi/ Bangkok, Pinklao is the closest Pizza company etc with is about 15 km from where I live, the food usually takes an hour to get, and the driver always gets lost and he call me in Thai, once he hears I only speak English he just hangs up and I never receive the food lol this has happened many times so I don't even bother trying to order form them again just a big headache lol But I will be fixing that as I start Thai Language school next week..

chillies can't make you ill. this is just quasi thai doctor talk.

"you work too hard"

"you head get wet in rain"

"you no brush you teeth"

"you worry too much"

"farang no can in thai sun hot very hot"

"thai food spicy and salt no can you blood farang"

Depends on your definition of ill. I always say I love chillie but they hate me. When ever I eat a chillie dish I will have cramps 6 hours later and the squirts for half a day. It's not debilitating but definately uncomfortable. If someone were to eat chillie everyday and suffer from the same symptoms, I can see how stopping them would make them feel a whole lot better.

• Like 1

A couple of little cheats:

Moo grop (crispy pork) goes great with apple sauce

Gai yang - delicious, unspicy "roast" chicken, makes a nice sandwich

Kor moo yang - pork neck is not spicy and simply delicious in it's own right

Don't need a full kitchen but if you have any space at all one of those little round ovens, about 1000 THB from any supermarket, are great for roasting anything

Healthier and taste way better than McDonalds or 7-11 ham cheese sandwiches.

Sound Good, cheers mate, I will give them a try, haven't tried any of them before, might have a look for a small oven, Good Idea wai2.gif

In another thread you said you have been teaching in Thailand for two years. Two years and never have eaten fried rice? Oh come on. Two years and now you realize you don't like rice?

How long have you really been in Thailand? In another thread you said you had a Thai GF. She does not take care of your food? Come on are you an adult, really?

Don't need a full kitchen but if you have any space at all one of those little round ovens, about 1000 THB from any supermarket, are great for roasting anything

Sound Good, cheers mate, I will give them a try, haven't tried any of them before, might have a look for a small oven, Good Idea wai2.gif

Get yourself one of those table top induction hot plates as well, you dont need very much to be able to cook your own stuff, if your looking at oven's a microwave/convection oven (some even have grills) will be better, you may jave no kitchen but you do have a balcony ?

• Like 2

In another thread you said you have been teaching in Thailand for two years. Two years and never have eaten fried rice? Oh come on. Two years and now you realize you don't like rice?

How long have you really been in Thailand? In another thread you said you had a Thai GF. She does not take care of your food? Come on are you an adult, really?

err I have been here 13 years and the last time I had fried rice, or any form of rice must be nearly 5 or 6 years ago....so whats your point

• Like 2

err I have been here 13 years and the last time I had fried rice, or any form of rice must be nearly 5 or 6 years ago....so whats your point

1. How long did you live in Thailand before you tried fried rice for the first time? 2. What man who has a Thai GF ever had a problem finding food? 3. Finding non spicy food in Bangkok is not a problem. The kid is a fraud and troll.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

I never said that I never ate fried rice before? I always didn't like rice? you already know how long I have been in Thailand? yes my Girlfriend does but what can she do, that I cant? she does also be very busy with her work, what makes you think I'm not a Adult really? Your questions are nonsense?

Edited by lmfao

Sorry to hear about your upset tummy when you eat spicy food.

Now you mentioned eating at Mcd and 7-11, why not just find a fresh market near your place and buy your own stuff and cook it up?

Do you eat pasta or has the doctor advised you not to eat this either?

Sounds to me like you need to learn how to cook mate instead of whinging about spicy food and eating rice in TH.

Go to a foodland, villa or gourmet market or if less picky, one of the big supermarket chains. All kinds of pre-packaged, processed stuff for you to fill your fridge for days. You can even find frozen pizzas, pies, french fries, and other stuff to keep your mind of getting the shits from eating chillies.

• Like 1

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok where McDonalds is the only western food here lol and 7-11, so my diet has gone downhill, Anyone else in the same boat? and what was your solution? Also I don't have a kitchen at the minute so its difficult to cook my own food...

I am not a particular fan of Thai food generally, a couple of dishes are ok, but will not go out of my way to eat Thai food.

My solution go shopping for myself, Villa/ Foodlands/Tops etc once a week and cook for myself (Mrs S not the best western cook anyway) when I am at home, its not hard. I have a freezer full of "western" food. And before everyone start bleating on about how much money "farang" food costs....I will typically spend about THB 2k a week, of course this doesnt include the cost of the bolley and beluga...rolleyes.gif

Of course now you are going to get the Thaier than Thai one here saying unless you eat exclusively Thai food you will never be at one with your Thainess...rolleyes.gif

laugh.png Like the Thai's in UK, who prefer a cow pat over a good spotted dick. unsure.png

however would suspect there are quite a few Thai's working in the UK who enjoy a good old British spotted dick...whistling.gif

with custard

They can always google translate spotted dick into something more palatable to them.wink.png

or you could just show them what a spotted dick is...rolleyes.gif

Sticky toffee pudding better than spotted dick anyday. My mouth waters at the thought of that brown sticky gunge coating my tongue.

• Like 1

OP, plenty of places selling potatoes n vegetables.

Limited cooking room? Buy an induction hotplate, a non-aluminium pan. You can cook all sorts that way. Stew, curry, stir fry. Buy a 2nd pan and cook fish with roast potatoes. Bacon and eggs on a morning.

Induction hotplates use very little electric and are wipe clean surfaces. 280*340 mm in size means they are small. No need for gas and gas rings etc. I bought 2 for the balcony of the condo I am in. BigC sell them for under 1,000 Bhat each. Some as cheap as 600 Baht.

Make sure you do use stainless steel pans.

I use 2 standard pans and 1 teflon coated frying pan for the bacon, eggs and other fried food. Cook potatoes and 10 mins after they are simmering, I drop cauliflower / broccoli / carrots in.

No need for lots of room and no mess if you take care.

• Like 2

Even on the outskirts of Bangkok, western food can only be a short tuk tuk ride away.

There are pizza places that even deliver if you like health food! lol

Get a microwave and stock up on frozen western dishes from a farang grocery store like Tesco, Big C or Mako.

Noodles are readily available at Thai restaurants.

There are many Thai dishes made without peppers.

I know many Thais who do not eat hot spicy Thai food and they eat well.

Did you consider the food available in Thailand before coming here?

• Like 1

Even on the outskirts of Bangkok, western food can only be a short tuk tuk ride away.

Get a microwave and stock up on frozen western dishes from a farang grocery store like Tesco, Big C or Mako.

One wonders what the OP has done in the two years he has lived in Thailand up to now?

I like the armchair doctors on here. I have the same problem of eating chillies, its called irritable bowl syndrome where the lining of your gut has thinned and any spicy food hurts like hell

A breath of fresh air you are... so I am not the only one thumbsup.gif

I'm not a great fan of rice either although I do eat it sometimes. I have also been advised recently by doctor to avoid eating spicey foods (stomach ulcer). And I don't have a kitchen.

My answer was to buy an electric frypan (Tesco under B500). I can do all sorts of things with it from fryups to casseroles. Just had a delicious pork 'n' liver hotpot and of course the pork here is so much better than at home. On top of that there are plenty of food outlets that have non-spicey on the menu as well as Irish bars that do excellent full English breakfast's.

But unfortunately I know nowhere and my frypan can't make a lovely spotted dick with melted butter and loads of sugar, or a sticky toffee pud, or an apple dumpling...aahhh

One wonders what the OP has done in the two years he has lived in Thailand up to now?

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's .... what he's been doing.

Some people like the food here and others don't. I always eat Thai food, the local stuff too and I gotta confess, there have been many times over the years that I get so bored of eating rice. When that happens though, my oven comes into its own!

Some suggestions: Breakfast cereal. Bran cereal included. Milk which you can get from 7/11 as you need it. Fruits ready to eat. Fruit juices. Yoghurt. Get some unsalted nuts and make a caveman meal of fruit and nuts. Roast chicken. Can be had without spices if you ask. Thai pumpkin properly cooked is very nice. If you like noodles you're really in luck. Eggs. Bread and jam. Roasted or boiled ears of corn perfectly safe when first removed from heat and eaten without the sauces. Beans. Sardines. Ayam is a very high quality local brand. If you have or can get a refrigerator you can get and keep the makings of quite good sandwiches at any of the large supermarkets. Plan on going a couple of times a week to get a good meal out and to stock up. Some will cook your fish for you. Try to get plenty of greens. Drink plenty of water. Hope this is some help.

• Like 2

One inflammatory post and a reply removed:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

• Like 2

Some suggestions: Breakfast cereal. Bran cereal included. Milk which you can get from 7/11 as you need it. Fruits ready to eat. Fruit juices. Yoghurt. Get some unsalted nuts and make a caveman meal of fruit and nuts. Roast chicken. Can be had without spices if you ask. Thai pumpkin properly cooked is very nice. If you like noodles you're really in luck. Eggs. Bread and jam. Roasted or boiled ears of corn perfectly safe when first removed from heat and eaten without the sauces. Beans. Sardines. Ayam is a very high quality local brand. If you have or can get a refrigerator you can get and keep the makings of quite good sandwiches at any of the large supermarkets. Plan on going a couple of times a week to get a good meal out and to stock up. Some will cook your fish for you. Try to get plenty of greens. Drink plenty of water. Hope this is some help.

Thanks HannahD, I will take your wise words onboard wai.gif

You're in Bangkok. There are TONS of farang food options and the price will be commensurate with them. So if you live here on a budget, you're pretty much..., um, "toast".

That said, plenty of breakfast shops service western style breakfast (Foodland is one), hotels serve continental cuisine till the cows fly. It's everywhere if you really cannot stomach Thai fare.

If you can cook, go to the open air markets and buy fresh. You can buy fish still swimming, pork or chicken that was living just a few hours earlier (or minutes, depending on time of day you go). The fruits and vegetables are without peer to that of any western country.

Fortunately, Thai food agrees with me. I've been here over 3 years and have not consumed more than a dozen western meals. As a result, I've lost 25 pounds and am as healthy as I've ever been at 55. I walk at least 3-5KM/day because I want to, not because I must. I have a motor bike but why? When I have consumed farang food, it's usually because a friend is here from the west and shivers at the idea of street food or anything Thai. I'm usually happy when they go home and equally certain the next time I see them..., won't be here. clap2.gif

Oh and McDonald's will kill you quicker than anything you could consume Thai. Period. It's poison. And all the other fast food joints that have grown to prominence here. Killing the Thais now. Oye!

The conundrum you report that face is not really one at all. Seriously.

Good luck!

Khai jiew (thai style omelet) you can order at many diff places - check in some food courts, sometimes you can pick what you want in the omelet

paht (pad, pat, whatever) means stir fried --(like pad thai)

so some noodle dishes that aren't spicy: ( i just try to spell them how i feel they're pronounced)

paht thai = you should know by now - thai noodle with tamarind sauce + peanuts etc

paht see ew = typically broad flat noodle(sen yai) sometimes made with sen mee with green veg/egg/double black soy sauce

laht na= gravy noodle (mee gkrob laht na is my fav)

hoi tod = fried mussels (i usually refer to this as mussel pancake)

mee gkrob= crispy noodle

bahmee=egg noodle

woon sen= glass noodle

sen lek= the noodle like they use in pad thai

sen yai= the big flat noodle

sen mee=the smallest rice noodle that is around the same size as woonsen

you can also try ordering the thai macaroni (7/11 has a version in their freezer section meals so i'm sure u have probably tried it by now) - tastes much better when you get it from somewhere else

helpful words

pukk= veggies

gai= chicken

moo= pork which u must know already

nuea= beef (also means something like using the word meat)

goong= shrimp

pla=fish

tod=fried

gkrob=crispy

mai sai = without

I'm not a great fan of rice either although I do eat it sometimes. I have also been advised recently by doctor to avoid eating spicey foods (stomach ulcer). And I don't have a kitchen.

My answer was to buy an electric frypan (Tesco under B500). I can do all sorts of things with it from fryups to casseroles. Just had a delicious pork 'n' liver hotpot and of course the pork here is so much better than at home. On top of that there are plenty of food outlets that have non-spicey on the menu as well as Irish bars that do excellent full English breakfast's.

But unfortunately I know nowhere and my frypan can't make a lovely spotted dick with melted butter and loads of sugar, or a sticky toffee pud, or an apple dumpling...aahhh

990bht in most supermarkets.post-176974-0-06487800-1389693757_thumb.You can cook your spotted Dick, bread, cakes, roasts.

• Like 2

990bht in most supermarkets.attachicon.gif0000000007_1.jpgYou can cook your spotted Dick, bread, cakes, roasts.

Chiang Mai Kelly use to rave about these things. He swore it cooked the best ever roast meats.

Also get a gas burner to cook on the balcony or outside.

• Like 1