Cant eat chili, not a fan of rice, anyone else?

lmfao

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok where McDonalds is the only western food here lol and 7-11, so my diet has gone downhill, Anyone else in the same boat? and what was your solution? Also I don't have a kitchen at the minute so its difficult to cook my own food...

I am not a particular fan of Thai food generally, a couple of dishes are ok, but will not go out of my way to eat Thai food.

My solution go shopping for myself, Villa/ Foodlands/Tops etc once a week and cook for myself (Mrs S not the best western cook anyway) when I am at home, its not hard. I have a freezer full of "western" food. And before everyone start bleating on about how much money "farang" food costs....I will typically spend about THB 2k a week, of course this doesnt include the cost of the bolley and beluga...rolleyes.gif

Of course now you are going to get the Thaier than Thai one here saying unless you eat exclusively Thai food you will never be at one with your Thainess...rolleyes.gif

laugh.png Like the Thai's in UK, who prefer a cow pat over a good spotted dick. unsure.png

however would suspect there are quite a few Thai's working in the UK who enjoy a good old British spotted dick...whistling.gif

That's a new one for me, Never heard of a spotted dick sounds horrible lol whoever named that dish, really your not helping either lol I feel like puking again bah.gif

You are obviously not from the UK....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick

• Like 1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this sounds harsh mate but surely you as a grown man can work out what to eat?

Just read you no have kitchen at the moment. Well takeaway will be a staple more than likely. Buy a microwave perhaps, or a toaster or a grill Go to an electrical store and see what they have.

That's my suggestion and what I would try.

I agree. Surely the OP could buy an electric rice steamer and be in heaven.

Never would have to cook rice, but slow broiled pork shoulder, lamb, whole chicken and veg, soups, casseroles etc (all without a kitchen).

• Like 1

I can recall mum making Spotted Dick. it was mainly made from suet, currants and raisins, it was about 15 inches long and 5 inches in circumference.. Steamed in a dish cloth. When finished, sliced about an inch thick, then your choice of custard or golden syrup to finish it off. Gawd, reminds me of mums home made toffee too...................thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Get yerself one of them George Forman type sandwich grills, bread of your choice, slap absolutely anything in between, and start a blog - tell us what you've discovered. Youtube can also get you started. Eggs in Thailand, delicious, you can eat them anyway at any time, Sam-I-Am. Try brown rice for a change, you might like it for its taste and nutrition. stomach upset? Oatmeal - have you tried oatmeal grits style? make 'em thick, on the dry side, form a loaf, chill, slice, and fry the slices. yummy with maple syrup. (Burp* Excuse me, except for the brown rice, i wouldn't eat any of my reccommendations. jus sayin'...)

• Like 1

There must be lots of people in Thailand like you . I live in Isaan , where everything is sticky rice and very spicy Somtam .

It helps to be able to cook your own . Many men married to Thai wives do all their own cooking . I cook for my wife as well , which has helped to cure her

of severe stomach ulcers , with no chilli . I do like best quality rice sometimes and some Thai dishes even with a bit of chilli . My wife loves baked

potatoes , they cook a treat in the microwave on high , 8 - 16 minutes depending on size . A friend told me of a man whose funeral he'd just been to , the man died of starvation , he couldn't eat his wife's Isaan food and couldn't cook for himself .

it is important to eat local foods if possible when staying in a foreign land. this provides support for the local farmers. for example if visitors to thailand eat western food instead of rice, the rice farmers will lose income. this may result in less planting of rice trees and loss of the other benefits they provide to the environment (shade etc)

Rice "trees"? Seriously? Do you even live on planet Earth?

Ignore cashpower, he says he is a business tourist and it seems knows virtually nothing about, eeeeeeeeeeeer, anything in LOS. He is to contact the government regarding possible holdups regarding transportation to his business venture in LOS at the mo,............rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

McDonalds and 7-eleven the only places with non-spicy food locally? Personally I've never found anything remotely edible in a 7-eleven. And as for McDonalds, I believe it was Anthony Bourdain who said a Chicken McNugget was the most disgusting thing he'd ever put in his mouth - though unwashed warthog anus came a close second.

And Anthony Bourdain is certainly the man to know what an unwashed warthog anus tastes like.

Don't knock unwashed warthog anus until you've tried it!! We African exiles appreciate a good sausage.

I think the best thing i ever learnt from my first TGF, was how to eat.

I was told by another Thai that eating here is like medicine, avoid constantly eating 'one plate' of fried food doused in a palm oil. Look at a Thai's home table, you got something spicy, some very spicy condiment, something sweet, some raw or steamed veggies, something grilled such as fish or pork, all flavoured with some different spice or herb, ginger, basil, garlic, coconut milk, cumin, tamarind, salt. You eat a little bit of everything.

Rice is also a variable thing. We have shops here that just sell rice from 50kg bag, the top selection 'Jasmine rice' is around 40B a kilo. It has more flavour than the stuff you buy on the street.

I do get pretty tired of rice tho' .. The things that do me in are the ammount of sugar in the food and the taste of thick layer of palm oil on everything.

Get some cooking stuff yourself and educate the chef.

Big C. Tesco. All stock bread. meats, cheese. You said you like a sandwich. There is also fresh fruit and salads there. Why don't you buy a mini gas burner(1000bt) and you can cook food on your balcony. I presume you have one. Now you can fry, boil etc to your hearts content and no more fast food needed.

You can also purchase a mini oven from big c 800bt. They double up as a grill too!

A couple of little cheats:

Moo grop (crispy pork) goes great with apple sauce

Gai yang - delicious, unspicy "roast" chicken, makes a nice sandwich

Kor moo yang - pork neck is not spicy and simply delicious in it's own right

Don't need a full kitchen but if you have any space at all one of those little round ovens, about 1000 THB from any supermarket, are great for roasting anything

Healthier and taste way better than McDonalds or 7-11 ham cheese sandwiches.

Sound Good, cheers mate, I will give them a try, haven't tried any of them before, might have a look for a small oven, Good Idea wai2.gif

In another thread you said you have been teaching in Thailand for two years. Two years and never have eaten fried rice? Oh come on. Two years and now you realize you don't like rice?

How long have you really been in Thailand? In another thread you said you had a Thai GF. She does not take care of your food? Come on are you an adult, really?

err I have been here 13 years and the last time I had fried rice, or any form of rice must be nearly 5 or 6 years ago....so whats your point

why are you replying? the question was to the OP surely ?

You can't eat chilies and you don't like rice, noodle soup, or Thai food in general... And you live somewhere in the sticks of Thailand...

You only have two choices my friend:

1) Learn to love rice and all the tasty Thai dishes that are served with it.

2) Move. (back to the city where there are western restaurants, back to whatever country you came from, or to an apartment with a kitchen so you can cook for yourself)

The solutions are pretty obvious so I'm not sure what you expected to get from this forum...

• Like 1

For sure for me No Thai food can't stand the stuff....

Spicy burn your face off can not taste nothing but but chilli..tom yum everything sour yuck....pad thai taste nothing but penuts...street stall food = poo poo sore tummy

Fermented fish sauce with chilli served with everything no thanks. the list goes on and on...

The half cooked weeds they put in my fried rice (that I don't like either) and still come out the other end in the morning same same corn if ya know what I mean..

For sure Thai food is one of the things I dislike about Thailand......

and I miss my mommy's meat loaf and her spaghetti sauce...

but there is Lots of things I like about Thailand as well...TIT

• Like 1

Spicy burn your face off can not taste nothing but but chilli..tom yum everything sour yuck....pad thai taste nothing but penuts...street stall food = poo poo sore tummy

Fermented fish sauce with chilli served with everything no thanks. the list goes on and on...

The half cooked weeds they put in my fried rice (that I don't like either) and still come out the other end in the morning same same corn if ya know what I mean..

I agree with most of what your saying, no matter what the dish is all you can taste is the chili burning the face and mouth of you. really you could drown an English breakfast in chili and it would taste the same as any spicy dish here lol

You live in Phuket right?

http://www.baanrimpa.com/thai-restaurant/menu.php

• Like 1

I agree with most of what your saying, no matter what the dish is all you can taste is the chili burning the face and mouth of you. really you could drown an English breakfast in chili and it would taste the same as any spicy dish here lol

You have been told many times. You order spicy food. Not all Thai food is spicy. Only your lack of knowledge prevents you from eating Thai food.

• Like 1

Can't believe this is an issue.

Buy your food and cook for yourself. Or hire a girl, maximum THB 10,000 per month + room and board and teach her to cook what you like (note pay extra for extras).

Combined with eating the many hundreds of Thai dishes that don't contain the ingredients you don't like.

Or worst case move to a location that has a greater variety of western food restaurants.

There, done and dusted.

Edited by wym

it is important to eat local foods if possible when staying in a foreign land. this provides support for the local farmers. for example if visitors to thailand eat western food instead of rice, the rice farmers will lose income. this may result in less planting of rice trees and loss of the other benefits they provide to the environment (shade etc)

so people should eat food that they don't like in order to help support the rice farmers and provide shade...

shame you didn't offer up this nugget of wisdom before the rice scam was introduced.... you could have saved the country fortune!

Live on the outskirts of Bangkok? Where you pay much, much less for a good accommodation than you would in the heart of Bangkok...and you have no cooking facilities? I find that very, very hard to believe.

Are you a grown up? Not trying to be a smart ass, but seriously...buy yourself a frigging gas burner for next to nothing, some basic staples, and cook yourself some real food and take care of yourself! McDonald's?! And you're worried about chilis hurting your health?!

It's because of people like you that Thais 'farangitize' my food when I go out, no matter what I say. Rice is good. Chilis too. Sorry you have a child's palette.

And the million's of Western tourists that visit Thailand every Year???You are a farang haha you will never be Thai, deal with it...

so people should eat food that they don't like in order to help support the rice farmers and provide shade...

shame you didn't offer up this nugget of wisdom before the rice scam was introduced.... you could have saved the country fortune!

Don't feed the TROLL.

Shady rice trees. . .

cheesy.gif

First at all:

The chili can't make you sick, and the truth is in opposite side, the chili is healthy food. Kills virus, cleans your blood, and this also misbelief: the chlil irritates your stomach. And +1 the chili gives you endorphine like the chocolate or sex.

Second:

You haven't moved to a suitable place if you are don't like chili or Thai food. Believe me, you will be sick and tired about this food question.

Third:

Used to I have good contact with a friendly couple here, they didn't eat at all Thai food, only bread, hot dog, maggie soup and other conserved western food. They have gone already, they were bored about food question.

Off course this is taste but I fond of Thai foods which are best in the world. I can't say this about Thai doctors ....

Make your own spaghetti, pasta etc....eat a lot of food such as Mangoes with sticky rice, coconut milk and some nuts in it. ( Breathtaking good!)

At places like Bid-C's, you'll find a real good and fresh beef steak from Chockchai farm, Nakhon Ratchasima. Try that with fried potatoes. You'll only need about 15 minutes to cook it.

Buy decent cheese at makro for almost nothing, they also sell Salami, made by TGM ( Thai German meat), 750 baht/kilo.

Eat " Phaad Phaak Luang", mixed vegetables with a lot of healthy stuff in it. Then the question what Thai food really is. I found it hard to believe that there's not even one restaurant in Sisaket, selling decent Thai food, while I only need to go around the corner in Ubon Ratchathani and get very delicious Thai food.

It's like back home. Being from lower Franconia, I'm used to eat decent food in Germany. Would you think you'll get the same quality in Hamburg, or Berlin? Nope.

No way and very similar to local food here. There's food and food, hope you'll find the right one soon.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Bizarre.

I can understand not liking Thai food, it is not for everyone. I only like the more 'western' dishes like Kao Pad, fried vegetables, etc, and most days I don't eat any thai food.

But if that is how you feel, why the hell go and live somewhere without a kitchen???

Edited by celso
  • Like 1