Cant eat chili, not a fan of rice, anyone else?

lmfao

As you can see... i don't comment very often... But it appears that you are in the entirely wrong place for your culinary tastes... S.E. Asia and you don't like rice? Seriously?!? Thailand and you don't/can't do chilis? I originally read this as though you were one of those creatures that live under the 3 Billy Goat's bridge and I dismissed it a a bit of fun... Now I'm wondering if you're really serious?

If you're serious and have these hang ups regarding the "standard" fare of this country... How can you be happy here when food is life? I can't imagine living in a country where I couldn't eat or found distasteful the food.

Seems to me that the solution is quite obvious...

I bet you wai Tesco staff..............coffee1.gif

Good Lord, one thinks rice grows on trees and another lives in Thailand but does not eat rice!w00t.gif And you make jokes as if he was a Thai apologist?

This is Asia you know, Toyota, means "Bountiful Rice Field," and Honda, means "Main Rice Field." There are over 40,000 varieties of rice grown worldwide. A pound of rice delivers four times the food energy as the same serving of potatoes or pasta.

Rice is the main food for over half the people of the world. In Thailand "come eat is" is Gin Khow. Literally, eat rice!cheesy.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add, to the lovers of a good spotted dick. and a toad in the hole,dont forget a good spoonful of Bubble and Squeek....always a treat with a faggot.

And of course,if you want an oriental treat there is always a tasty Ladies Finger !!

Edited by gennisis
  • Like 1

As you can see... i don't comment very often... But it appears that you are in the entirely wrong place for your culinary tastes... S.E. Asia and you don't like rice? Seriously?!? Thailand and you don't/can't do chilis? I originally read this as though you were one of those creatures that live under the 3 Billy Goat's bridge and I dismissed it a a bit of fun... Now I'm wondering if you're really serious?

If you're serious and have these hang ups regarding the "standard" fare of this country... How can you be happy here when food is life? I can't imagine living in a country where I couldn't eat or found distasteful the food.

Good Lord, one thinks rice grows on trees and another lives in Thailand but does not eat rice!w00t.gif And you make jokes as if he was a Thai apologist?

This is Asia you know, Toyota, means "Bountiful Rice Field," and Honda, means "Main Rice Field." There are over 40,000 varieties of rice grown worldwide. A pound of rice delivers four times the food energy as the same serving of potatoes or pasta.

Rice is the main food for over half the people of the world. In Thailand "come eat is" is Gin Khow. Literally, eat rice!cheesy.gif

And your point is.......?

Yawn...............whistling.gif

Again...........Yawn

When did I say I didn't eat rice? If you have read my posts, I said I am not a big fan of white rice, which 90% of the local stalls where I live only serve white rice.

I also said that I do like pilau rice.

Get real my friend, and stopped spreading your negativity and lies....

• Like 2

And your point is.......?

He is not a Thai apologist as you suggest. He is only arriving at a rational conclusion. Which, in your rush to criticize all things Thai has evaded you.

@ Timbuctoo, where have I criticized anything Thai........?

You wrote, "I bet you wai Tesco staff..............coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

The issue? A number of posters wrote anti Thai food posts filled with ignorance and inaccuracy. When another poster identified the ignorance and inaccuracy you wrote, "I bet you wai Tesco staff..............coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif"

@ Timbuctoo, where have I criticized anything Thai........?

You wrote, "I bet you wai Tesco staff..............coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

The issue? A number of posters wrote anti Thai food posts filled with ignorance and inaccuracy. When another poster identified the ignorance and inaccuracy you wrote, "I bet you wai Tesco staff..............coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif"

Nothing derogatory to Thai folk in that statement is there ?..........MY point is farangs saying WE must eat Thai food cos we are in LOS, is complete rolox. Folk who spout this nonsense are the ones who try and become Thai and may look/seem daft.

Please read and understand thoughts, NOT bring out the ''race'' card eh........rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

i would never be disrespectful of a foreign culture or their work. in fact i was told that the locals here were revolting and refused to believe it.

Not only a troll, but arrogant as well.

Some children are prime examples of failed parents.

• Like 1

Nothing derogatory to Thai folk in that statement is there ?..........MY point is farangs saying WE must eat Thai food cos we are in LOS, is complete rolox. Folk who spout this nonsense are the ones who try and become Thai and may look/seem daft.

Please read and understand thoughts, NOT bring out the ''race'' card eh........rolleyes.gif

What is rolox, is going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering a Big Mac. And then accusing the lad who pointed out that, the Emperor is in the wrong restaurant, of spouting nonsense. (this is a play on the Emperor's New Clothes)

Please read and understand the words and the absolute ignorance of a person who says, "I'd kill for an English Breakfast" in Bangkok.

Because some of us realize the absurdity of the above does not mean we Wai the Staff at Lotus.

BTW in Thailand the people call it Lotus not Tesco. And making a decision to live in Asia and not eating rice is daft.

PS. I was being a nice guy because I know you like cars by pointing out that Honda and Toyota are named after rice.smile.png

Edited by thailiketoo

Not sure where you get your numbers from.

100g of white rice is 130 Kcal

100G of boiled potatoe is 86 Kcal. So rice is about 1.5 time the caloric density of potatoe.

They are both mostly carbs but the potatoe has a much healthier load of vitamins and minerals. Given that the water content of rice is low and a potatoe's weight is mostly water the real caloric density for potatoe sans water would be many times that of rice.

i would never be disrespectful of a foreign culture or their work. in fact i was told that the locals here were revolting and refused to believe it.

Not only a troll, but arrogant as well.

Some children are prime examples of failed parents.

a public forum is not the place to voice your shortcomings. your admissions should be constrained to a confessional or psychiatrists office

What is rolox, is going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering a Big Mac. And then accusing the lad who pointed out that, the Emperor is in the wrong restaurant, of spouting nonsense. (this is a play on the Emperor's New Clothes)

Please read and understand the words and the absolute ignorance of a person who says, "I'd kill for an English Breakfast" in Bangkok.

Because some of us realize the absurdity of the above does not mean we Wai the Staff at Lotus.

BTW in Thailand the people call it Lotus not Tesco. And making a decision to live in Asia and not eating rice is daft.

Are you mentally retarded?

"Yawn...............whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Again...........Yawn

When did I say I didn't eat rice? If you have read my posts, I said I am not a big fan of white rice, which 90% of the local stalls where I live only serve white rice.

I also said that I do like pilau rice."

PS. I was being a nice guy because I know you like cars by pointing out that Honda and Toyota are named after rice.smile.png

Soooooo, Mexicans who move to the USA now eat hotdogs, burgers etc, Indians and Pakistanis who move to the UK now eat baked potatoes and yorkshire pudding, Muslims who move to the UK now eat bacon and eggs for breakfast............cheesy.gif

Gawd, some of you folk really have no sense at all..........coffee1.gif

• Like 1

100G of boiled potatoe is 86 Kcal. So rice is about 1.5 time the caloric density of potatoe.

They are both mostly carbs but the potatoe has a much healthier load of vitamins and minerals. Given that the water content of rice is low and a potatoe's weight is mostly water the real caloric density for potatoe sans water would be many times that of rice.

http://www.usriceproducers.com/files/187_Rice%20Facts.pdf

A pound of rice delivers four times the food energy as the same serving of potatoes or pasta

Soooooo, Mexicans who move to the USA now eat hotdogs, burgers etc, Indians and Pakistanis who move to the UK now eat baked potatoes and yorkshire pudding, Muslims who move to the UK now eat bacon and eggs for breakfast............cheesy.gif

It's not the same. We are talking tourists. Does the average tourist to America eat Big Macs? The answer is a resounding YES. Go to America eat hamburgers. Go to Thailand eat rice. Got it?coffee1.gif

Go to America and mention spotted dick and they give you antibiotics. cheesy.gif

It's not the same. We are talking tourists. Does the average tourist to America eat Big Macs? The answer is a resounding YES. Go to America eat hamburgers. Go to Thailand eat rice. Got it?coffee1.gif

Go to America and mention spotted dick and they give you antibiotics. cheesy.gif

You are avoiding stuff...........rolleyes.gif .......................coffee1.gif

Never mind eh..............facepalm.gif

In the UK I used to eat rice nearly every day, my frequent meals were.

Chilli con carne and rice

Indian curry and rice (Madras or Korma)

Pizza (ASDA cook at home)

In Thailand I still eat rice nearly every day, my frequent meals are.

Nam prik ong and rice (chilli con carne without the kidney beans)

Thai curry and rice (Red or Yellow)

Kow Soi

So nearly the same menus, with a few slight local differences.

Oh, not to mention some of the rice in Thailand is sticky, they didn't ever offer that in the UK.

Oh, Oh, not eating rice anywhere in the world is plain daft, chips will take years off your life

Edited by FiftyTwo

Are you mentally retarded?

"Yawn...............whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Again...........Yawn

I also said that I do like pilau rice."

You wrote, "Haha thanks, But I went to a local eatery this morning and I had a khaw phad kai, and didn't enjoy it one bit as I said I don't like rice,"

A pound of rice delivers four times the food energy as the same serving of potatoes or pasta

Info from a rice producers collective may be biased. Best you check unbiased nutrition websites such as: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2558/2 and do the math yourself, its possible I got the math wrong.

White rice 13% water content

Potatoe 77% water content

So even if your figures are factual and we correct for water content; potatoes still come out on top in the energy density stakes.

Yes people I am bored!

Edited by canman

"If you are trying to lose weight by keeping track of your intake of calories and fat, either rice or potatoes could be helpful. Both are nearly fat free, with less than a gram of fat per serving. They are also similar in caloric content. A cup of plain white rice has 242 calories and brown rice contains 216. A medium baked potato falls between them with 230 calories. Rice, with 4.5 to 5 grams of protein per cup, has slightly more protein than a potato, with 3 grams."

From here

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrients-rice-vs-potatoes-2871.html

thailiketoo

I am not a fan of white rice, and your point is?

Doesn't mean I don't eat rice?

I eat white rice with many dishes, you don't really taste the rice when a companied with a curry etc.

Big different in that and a big plate of fried rice, which in my country would only be a side dish,

A lot of the dishes in Thailand are 85% plain white rice.

I eat rice with stir fries, Indian food, Chinese food, Mexican food.

You need to travel a bit more, Thai food is not the only food or holy grail of foods.

I think you have some Issues with westernizers and maybe that why your in Thailand?

Funny that, seen as you are a westernizer....

Edited by lmfao

It's not the same. We are talking tourists. Does the average tourist to America eat Big Macs? The answer is a resounding YES. Go to America eat hamburgers. Go to Thailand eat rice. Got it?
If you really think the average tourist goes to the USA (BTW 'America' encompasses two continents and 22 countries, most of which do not worship Big Macs.) to consume burgers you are clearly delusional. The range of international and fusion foods available, even in hick-towns, in the USA is incredible compared to other countries - especially Thailand! Texas chilli, chicken-fried steak, jambalaya, crawfish, corn fritters, wild salmon, king crab, clam chowder, Maine lobster, Buffalo wings, BBQ ribs, Chicago/Boston/New York pizza, Philly cheese steak, Reuben sandwich... those are USA foods worth craving!
  • Like 1

thailiketoo

I am not a fan of white rice, and your point is?

Doesn't mean I don't eat rice?

I eat white rice with many dishes, you don't really taste the rice when a companied with a curry etc.

Big different in that and a big plate of fried rice, which in my country would only be a side dish,

A lot of the dishes in Thailand are 85% plain white rice.

I eat rice with stir fries, Indian food, Chinese food, Mexican food.

You need to travel a bit more, Thai food is not the only food or holy grail of foods.

I think you have some Issues with westernizers and maybe that why your in Thailand?

Funny that, seen as you are a westernizer....

Me travel? Sure. First google staple. Then google rice is the staple food for over half the people in....

It's not the same. We are talking tourists. Does the average tourist to America eat Big Macs? The answer is a resounding YES. Go to America eat hamburgers. Go to Thailand eat rice. Got it?

If you really think the average tourist goes to the USA (BTW 'America' encompasses two continents and 22 countries, most of which do not worship Big Macs.) to consume burgers you are clearly delusional. The range of international and fusion foods available, even in hick-towns, in the USA is incredible compared to other countries - especially Thailand! Texas chilli, chicken-fried steak, jambalaya, crawfish, corn fritters, wild salmon, king crab, clam chowder, Maine lobster, Buffalo wings, BBQ ribs, Chicago/Boston/New York pizza, Philly cheese steak, Reuben sandwich... those are USA foods worth craving!

I disagree,

When I went to Florida on holiday, never ate any of that, it was McD, KFC and pizza all the time.

OK, San Francisco holiday food was a bit more varied. Clam chowder, and Chinese with a few McDs.

Edited by FiftyTwo

You wrote, "BTW 'America' encompasses two continents and 22 countries, most of which do not worship Big Macs." So who won the America's cup? biggrin.png

The golden arches are now more widely recognized than the Christian cross.

Children often recognize the McDonald's logo before they recognize their own name.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/americans-are-obsessed-with-fast-food-the-dark-side-of-the-all-american-meal/

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I sympathise with you as I'm similar. Ill health doesn't allow spicy food and not keen on boiled rice. I eat fried rice with chicken or prawn sometimes with sweet and sour chicken or prawn, always specifying not hot ( mai pet. ) Mild curries are ok either Musaman of Gangalgalee. Differently to you I have cooking facilities and have a lot of mashed potato, cabbage, cauliflower and spinnach. Eaten with either fish or Cumbernauld sausages bought from Makro. I do eat some noodles ( pathai. ) Whilst I don't live in or near Bangkok I visit Chiang Mai sometime, finding English style food at some places. There must be places that in Bangkok. Oh ! I love making bacon sandwiches and brown sauce, bought again from Makro. Good luck.

• Like 2