Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4 (also 10.1 and 12.2)

Silurian

Looks like Samsung has some really nice Android tablets in the pipeline. I am mostly looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4. I hope these new PRO line of Samsung Tablets hit Bangkok soon. I feel my wallet getting lighter already.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO line will come in 12.2-, 10.1- and 8.4-inch screen sizes. Seems like a 12.2 inch screen might be a little on the large size for a tablet.

I like the idea of large tablets.

For me a tablet you hold and carry needs to be like the Tab 8 or smaller .... "Phablet syle".

Anything from 10 up is for placing on your lap or on a table ..... so why not go for 12 inches.

I could go for the schoolboy humor angle and ask if the 12 inch only comes in black .... but I'll resist.

• Like 1

I like the idea of large tablets.

For me a tablet you hold and carry needs to be like the Tab 8 or smaller .... "Phablet syle".

Anything from 10 up is for placing on your lap or on a table ..... so why not go for 12 inches.

I could go for the schoolboy humor angle and ask if the 12 inch only comes in black .... but I'll resist.

Even in black this size is quite rare!

The Pro series will be nice, no doubt, 2500p resolution, thin and higher built quality than their current shiny white things.

But I like up to 7", fits nicely, in a rear pocket. If Samsu comes up with something nicer than 2013 Nexus 7, I will check it out.

Wouldn't get your hopes up too much with these as some of the prices being speculated upon overseas suggest by the time they get to Thailand they will be more expensive than Apple products.

If the build quality is as good as apple products, why not?

Apple is also rumored to be considering a 12-ish inch tablet.

Here is the Samsung PR from CES...

Samsung Galaxy NotePRO and TabPRO series set a New Rule for the Tablet Experience at CES 2014
January 7, 2014
Extending the company’s innovation legacy with best-in-class media consumption and productivity capabilities

Las Vegas, NV – January 6, 2014 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today unveiled the Samsung Galaxy NotePRO and TabPRO line of tablets, setting a new standard of mobile excellence, equipped with innovative and meaningful technology. Sporting four powerful devices in the lineup – the Galaxy NotePRO (12.2-inch), TabPRO (12.2, 10.1, 8.4-inch), Samsung’s Galaxy tablet portfolio redefines what a tablet can do.

The Samsung Galaxy NotePRO and TabPRO tablet line will be offered globally and will be available starting from Q1, 2014

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2014/01/07/Samsung-Galaxy-NotePRO-and-TabPRO-series-set-a-New-Rule-for-the-Tablet-Experience-at-CES-2014-2

Edited by lomatopo

I also think the 8.4" looks interesting. Very good specs. too, it looks like they have UBS 2.0 and even 3.0 for the 12"s

The size is a very difficult choice, I guess it all depends what you gonna use it for. I read a test of the Nexus 7 and the tester said that the 7" is a bit too small and too close in size to a 5" phone thus you might not bother taking it out when you can do the same tasks on a 5" smart phone which you typically have handy in your pocket.

+12" is a very big tablet, you gonna get a lot of exercise of your "e-net surfing arm" ha-ha, way too big for me but that's me.

I predict that within a few years, there will be tablet style "white boards", probably about 16"X20" and larger for home and office that will be synched to all related devices. Emails, messages and reminders don't always get seen on phones but will stand out on a "White Board". In the home they will display family reminders, appointments. due dates for bills, maybe even options for controlling temperature in various rooms, lights and appliances as well. Maybe sometime soon, also the ability to show exactly where kids are at any given moment.

There was just a tragic case in Boston where 2 kids accidentally locked themselves in a hope chest and eventually suffocated while the parents were searching for them everywhere they could think of. Such a tracking device might have prevented this tragedy.

• Like 1

I also think the 8.4" looks interesting. Very good specs. too, it looks like they have UBS 2.0 and even 3.0 for the 12"s

The size is a very difficult choice, I guess it all depends what you gonna use it for. I read a test of the Nexus 7 and the tester said that the 7" is a bit too small and too close in size to a 5" phone thus you might not bother taking it out when you can do the same tasks on a 5" smart phone which you typically have handy in your pocket.

+12" is a very big tablet, you gonna get a lot of exercise of your "e-net surfing arm" ha-ha, way too big for me but that's me.

No no, there is huge difference between 5 inch and 7 " device. Pretty much all new phones are 5 inch now, it is becoming standard, next Samsung S flagship will be out in few months, and it will be 5" or sligtly even bigger.

Pls visit Banana IT in Central, I think you've mentioned you are around Pattaya, they have finally new Nexus 7 there, as of today I havent seen 2013 N7 anywhere else in Pattaya, please check it out!

It can't be even compared with anything 5"!

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I love my devices big. Have a Sony Z Ultra at 6.4 inches and can't wait for the 12.2 NotePro.

The Pro series will be nice, no doubt, 2500p resolution, thin and higher built quality than their current shiny white things.

Actually the specs don't differ much from the currently available Note 10.1 2014. Same resolution, and same Octa Core processor (Don't assume that the Snapdragon LTE version will be available in Thailand).

Where it will differ is the software (four windows instead of 2 etc) and screen size (the largest ever made by Samsung).

Edited by sniffdog

No no, there is huge difference between 5 inch and 7 " device. Pretty much all new phones are 5 inch now, it is becoming standard, next Samsung S flagship will be out in few months, and it will be 5" or sligtly even bigger.

Pls visit Banana IT in Central, I think you've mentioned you are around Pattaya, they have finally new Nexus 7 there, as of today I havent seen 2013 N7 anywhere else in Pattaya, please check it out!

It can't be even compared with anything 5"!

I don't quite agree. I had a play with the new Nexus 7 in Singapore recently and despite it's a great 7" tablet with awesome screen I think it's too close in size to a 5" phone.

That is why I am looking forward to the new Samsung Tab Pro tablets.

I think 7" Nexus is twice the size of a 5 inch phone. N7 is enough to read full desktop versions of any text heavy web page without zooming in.

Size of course matters only if u are mainly outside, for home use larger display is always nicer. But Im outside 12hrs a day, often more, 7 inch is the largest that can be with me all day, without any effort. Anything that doesnt fit in a pockets stays home.

Edited by valgehiir

I love my devices big. Have a Sony Z Ultra at 6.4 inches and can't wait for the 12.2 NotePro.

Sony Ultra is pocket device, yes? Why wait for something that is 12"? Would you leave the Ultra at home, and a carry a bag with a 12" tablet everywhere you go?

And why not get a 11 or 12" laptop, instead? Just curious. Isn't tablet inferior to any slim under 1kg laptop? Laptop is full spec pc, it has a keyboard, it can do everything, tablets only advantage is portability.

But at 12 inches what is the advantage over laptop of same weight and size?

I think 7" Nexus is twice the size of a 5 inch phone. N7 is enough to read full desktop versions of any text heavy web page without zooming in.

Size of course matters only if u are mainly outside, for home use larger display is always nicer. But Im outside 12hrs a day, often more, 7 inch is the largest that can be with me all day, without any effort. Anything that doesnt fit in a pockets stays home.

yes it all depends what you gonna use it for. I see a lot of Asian woman carrying 10" tablets around but they have their woman bag so no problem for them but it does look stupid when they take photos with them, ha-ha.

I don't use inter net when I go out it Pattaya, I don't even have a data plan for my phone but use wi-fi in my house.

If I buy a tablet it will be for primarily home use or a short holiday so 8 -10" make sense to me.

• Like 1

I actually found a great difference between a 7" and an 8" tablet screen. While still pocket size (Well, cargo pants pockets anyway) I find the added screen area makes for easier reading for my aged eyes, especially magazine style pages with photo's and text together. I've read that I am not alone as the 8" market is now one of the fastest growing catagories.

Take a look at a 7" and an 8" side by side and you will see that one inch makes a substantial difference.

• Like 2

Take a look at a 7" and an 8" side by side and you will see that one inch makes a substantial difference.

That's what she said. tongue.png

Sorry, couldn't help it. Anyway, I agree. I was looking at getting the Nexus 7 (2013 edition) but when I saw the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8, I felt it was just the right size for me. I did look at the 10 inch tablets but then I felt it was getting a little larger than I wanted. I wonder if Samsung will have these new models available in Bangkok in time for the Mobile Expo at the QSNCC in mid-February. I can only hope.

• Like 1

Who said that the NotePro will replace the Ultra? If it would replace anything it would be one of my iPads. I never carry any of my tablets outside.

And why to buy a laptop? And why consider a tablet inferior to a laptop if one only wants to watch movies, play (android) games or surf the web sitting on the couch?

Sony Ultra is pocket device, yes? Why wait for something that is 12"? Would you leave the Ultra at home, and a carry a bag with a 12" tablet everywhere you go?

And why not get a 11 or 12" laptop, instead? Just curious. Isn't tablet inferior to any slim under 1kg laptop? Laptop is full spec pc, it has a keyboard, it can do everything, tablets only advantage is portability.

But at 12 inches what is the advantage over laptop of same weight and size?

• 4 months later...

I was lucky that I had a friend come in from Hong Kong and bought me the WiFi 16 gb 8.4" (T320) Samsung Tab Pro about a month ago (at a good price too). I must say it is one of the best tablets I have ever used. It is the perfect size for me and runs very smooth. I am not sure how the LTE/4G tablet will work in Thailand.

Of course Samsung just introduced a new line of tablets that just "one up'd" the one I got. The new Samsung Galaxy Tab S line with the AMOLED displays look great. Always the problem. Buy now and regret? Or buy and look away.

Well, who knows about availability/pricing in Thailand anyway. Always premium pricing here for Samsung tablets.