Thai Army clarifies dress code order

webfact

Thai Army clarifies dress code order
By Digital Content

13896835842022.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 14 - The Royal Thai Army on Tuesday clarified its permission for its personnel to wear civilian apparel instead of uniforms for their convenience, according to Army deputy spokesman Winthai Suvaree

Col Winthai explained that the media reports that the Army permitted the personnel not to wear uniforms for their safety was a misunderstanding.

He said the Army has allowed them to wear civilian clothing for their comfort as they may have to travel longer distances or take more time to travel from their homes to work due to many road blockades by anti-government protesters.

Many army personnel must take public transportation which could be unusually crowded because of the demonstrations, he said, adding that superiors could allow their subordinates to change into their uniforms at their offices.

Thai News Agency reported that most of the male and female personnel of the Royal Thai Army dressed in uniform at work but the number of personnel who came to work at the Army headquarters on Rajdamnoen Avenue dropped significantly as some of them opted to work at home.

The Army also allowed its personnel without urgent assignments to work from home. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-14

I can't actually believe that anyone on here is against it. I think it is essential to wear civvies.

They are able to blend in around the rally sites and it gives a great deterrent to any of the red rabble who are inclined to take potshots at protester men, women and children what they don't know who are citizens and who are armed soldiers waiting to take them down during their attempted escape.

several soldiers in civvies and with concealed firearms, put in place around all roads leading to and from all protest sites in an 'invisible cordon' will be great protection.

• Like 2

"some of them opted to work at home join Suthep; perhaps?"

Nothing wrong with that.

They also have their rights as citizens and own political believes.

Not if they get paid to work it isn't.

There are plenty of people get paid here too! Don't get so sensitive about people getting paid to do something, it's not good for the health. If you a foreigner, their payroll has nothing to do with you.

• Like 1

ARMY
Army clarifies dress code order

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Army on Tuesday clarified its position on giving permission to its personnel to wear civilian apparel instead of uniforms.

Army deputy spokesman Winthai Suvaree explained that media reports saying that the Army was permitting personnel not to wear uniforms for their safety was a misunderstanding.

The Army has allowed them to wear civilian clothing for their comfort as they may have to travel longer distances or take more time to travel from their homes to work due to many road blockades by antigovernment protesters, he said.

Many army personnel must take public transportation, which could be unusually crowded because of the demonstrations, he said, adding that superiors could allow their subordinates to change into their uniforms at their offices.

Thai News Agency reported that most of the male and female personnel of the Royal Thai Army dressed in uniform while at work but the number of personnel coming to work at the Army headquarters on Rajdamnoen Avenue had dropped significantly, with many opting to work at home.

The Army was allowing personnel without urgent assignments to work from home, the report added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-14

Unless you pay tax here.

Nothing wrong with that.

Not if they get paid to work it isn't.

There are plenty of people get paid here too! Don't get so sensitive about people getting paid to do something, it's not good for the health. If you a foreigner, their payroll has nothing to do with you.
  • Like 1

I can't actually believe that anyone on here is against it. I think it is essential to wear civvies.

They are able to blend in around the rally sites and it gives a great deterrent to any of the red rabble who are inclined to take potshots at protester men, women and children what they don't know who are citizens and who are armed soldiers waiting to take them down during their attempted escape.

several soldiers in civvies and with concealed firearms, put in place around all roads leading to and from all protest sites in an 'invisible cordon' will be great protection.

so in your educated view its only the reds who are the ones doing the shooting - seems like the idea of one of the mellow yellow shirts is some thing that would never happen - amazing how the uninformed are so quick to inform - and beg to differ on the quote - red shirt rabble, and the invisible cordon, seems like this op has been watching too many spy movies, or was ex cia, thanks for the informed suggestion, i for one would not want some army recruit wandering around in the crowd with a sidearm ready to take pot shots at all citizens and the armed soldiers will be able to tell the difference between army and civyes - well good luck - 555

What bullocks !!!!

The military are trained to wear uniforms not only for short little walks but for ALL matters involving military.

Maybe the police should be able to wear shorts and sandals when on road duty too?

All this is, is a ploy for a coup.

I think that they are just trying to cover up a mistake made by their chief. A soldier out of uniform is stood down. Furthermore, the comfort crap in transit is also bullshit. If their uniforms are comfortable enough to fight in then I fail to see any justification apart from allowing them anonymity in transit and while off duty which is understandable and acceptable.

• Like 1

How can someone be a deterrent if no-one knows they're there?

The advice may be as simple as allowing military personnel to commute to/from their duty posts in civilian clothing so as not to encourage confrontations with protestors. While on duty at their post they would still be required to wear the uniform. Military personnel working at home are not at their post, thus nopt required to wear the uniform.

I think they should give the same order next time they are in combat. For their convenience and all.

Allowing the army to.blend in with civilians is outrageous. Can the civil.service dump.their uniforms too?

Certainly a section of the police have a predilection for dressing up in the colour black we have seen.

Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, me too. I love getting paid while doing private stuff. And even though I have served an oath to protect the country, I have the right to select which of the citizens in the country I want to protect... right?? Can I do that? The military allows people to think for themselves ... right? Make their own decisions? Take a separate stand?

...Nah, pretty sure that they got their orders.

Great, I think I will join them... together with my new Glock. I always wanted to be an agent.