Yingluck says she will not resign

webfact

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yingluck is super rich, she doesn't need the job. The question is, why is she holding on to power,

what is her benefit? If so many hate her, why doesn't she just leave?

Is there going to be some kind of consequence for saying "I quit"?

She's worried about something.

Taksin said don't quit, you'll go to jail.

You don't go to jail for quitting your job, so what is she really afraid of?

She does not represent the people of Thailand, she represents her party and her party's interests only,

that's pretty obvious at this point.

I see it a little different. Yes she is rich they all are. That is the ones who have been in a while and earned their way at the trough.

The way I see it is she is the only Shinawatra who would have been acceptable at the time of the election. I am just guessing now but I think she might have thought she could have made a difference. Remember the give me six months quote.

It took her that long to learn that she had nothing to do with it. It was her brother Thaksin's show she was just a figurehead.

Now she is stuck with it and can not lose any more face and is fighting back. Not very well but fighting back. The only way she can come out of this looking good weather she wins the next election or not would be to publicly condemn Thaksin and disassociate herself from him. She would also have to get rid of his cronies that he has placed in power. That would include an end to the nepotism.

At that point she could walk with her head held high.

She has never really been given a chance to show her potential if she has any. Even in private industry it was just a position created for her due to the nepotism factor. With out her there was no need for the position. It is going to be an interesting two weeks. I just hope the red shirts do not accelerate the violence. Bombing Abhist house was a over the top action and did nothing to improve the image of the government. Suthep also has his hands full with trying to keep it peaceful. All though not organized like the red shirts there are anti government protestors willing to get violent.

Odd that this skype thing is taken seriously. Does anyone honestly and sincerely believe that in a period of national crisis, the prime minister of thailand would have a conversation with her 'shadowy puppet master brother' in full view of random people? Were he so powerful and nefarious do you think HE would allow it, then? That would be insane. So this leaves only two options:

1. A close and trusted advisor is briefing against her.

2. It was made up.

Since the situation is going to be somewhat paranoid anyways, im going with option 2. She said shed give an announcement. She had a chat (no doubt in private) with her brother for advice. She made her mind up. People in the more public meeting where she announced she would carry on 'fabricated the better part of experience'. The end.

Also, its fairly evident the threat has passed now. The next big challenge is the election. So far PTP have played a blinder here. Theyve continually given the protests room to breath and allowed them to carry out their 'peaceful' intentions (though lets be frank, the hardcore want nothing of the sort here - they want a clampdown, and the tanks to roll in and save them from a tyrannous illegitimate government). Riot and they lose the mainstream support. Dont riot and they lose their momentum. The government and their advisers have been extraordinary: give them room and let them expand as far as theyll go. This monday was the big test. I watched it all day. It did nothing. It achieved nothing. Its gone as far as its going in its current form. The only logical next step is dissipation or violence. And this will mean self-implosion SO LONG AS the government allow the protesters the breathing room to act as they have been doing. Its a masterclass, to be honest, in crisis control.

Total rubbish. She wanted to step down and Taksin told her he would have criminal charges brought against her if she did. I am sure if she did step down each and every one of the anti government protestors would not hold it against her, they may want charges against her for what she has done to the country in the name of her fugitive brother, but stepping down would not be on the extensive list....

Thats odd. I was absolutely sure that with the force of that first sentence ("total rubbish!") youd have added in some evidence to make your point. Must be getting on in my old age since i swear youve just repeated the exact same point i was mocking in the original post? I must have been working too long today...

The Big moment is now!! The duly elected PM Yingluck is sitting on that chair now, when all the smoke clears and if the rule of law is followed by the army, and by the will of the Majority of the Thai people she will be returned as PM in an Election.

All Democracies must accept and live with the will of the "majority" in an election even in Thailand.

Until that happens there will be no peace in Thailand!

The only question in this unrests since 2005 is who will sit in the chair as PM when the Big Moment has come.

• 2 weeks later...

Why should she resign, she was democratically elected!

By Thaksin!

No, by the Thais who are eligible to vote!

Very naive indeed.

We all know that most (not all) of her vote was bought by Thaksin. Don't believe me. Go listen to Suthep yourselves. It is true.

And if you read the interview with Korn he admits last election the dems spent more trying to buy the vote but the red electorate voted PTP anyway...so buying voted dosnt work if they dont want to vote for you they wont anyway....

Did he say "buying" the vote, or was it spending on campaigning?

And if you read the interview with Korn he admits last election the dems spent more trying to buy the vote but the red electorate voted PTP anyway...so buying voted dosnt work if they dont want to vote for you they wont anyway....

Did he say "buying" the vote, or was it spending on campaigning?

Ther Democrats easily spent more money on the last election campaign than any other party including the PTP.Furthermore under the new definition of vote buying (the old one having been discredited) the Democrats were in it up to their necks having espoused expensive populist policies modelled on those pioneered by Thaksin.Personally I don't really understand the outrage since politicians in democracies all over the world develop policies to win votes.

In terms of the coming election I suspect it will take place and the result subsequently nullified by the courts packed with partisa judges.This is the game plan but perhaps not so smart since the world is now wise to the elite's manoeuvres.

Andrew Walker has an interesting piece though as a naive foreigner of course he cannot possibly understand "Thainess" having only studied Thai politics for over 20 years and speaking the language fluently.