February 2 election to go ahead as scheduled: PM Yingluck

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The caretaker PM has the chance to solve the problem herself, (resign) and again she deligates others to do it for her. ( vote me out). She has had a couple of good years in the limelight, being waited on, and coached by her brothe and his cronies who were placed next to her. She is a walking, living example that some people will never learn to pour water out of a boot with instructions and a flashing light on the heel.

Wrong, again.

The caretaker PM is not allowed to resign during an election period.

If she were to resign she could be charged with negligence and end up in prison.

Caretaker PM's are not allowed to resign, simple as that.

Thats my opinion

Earlier I asked you to show me evidence of that in the constitution. Do you want to now?

What a complete waste of money.An election that will be null , void ,not ratified. Then again Yingluck and her government have been good at wasting the country's money.I'm sure her's and the cabinets is safely stored.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't thin the government can issue a royal decree.

"The Prime Minister said that the amount of two trillion baht would come from both domestic and foreign funding sources. The private sector would also be urged to co-invest in various infrastructure projects under the plan. The Government would issue a royal decree to seek loans for the plan, to be approved by the House of Representatives and the Senate."

I don't think the government can issue a royal decree. Note the word ROYAL

H.M. the King will be presented the 'royal decree' for signature.

The same way Yingluck gets her royal medals.

Well done, YS, for not giving in to the mob.

Like most senior Civil Servants in Thailand, the EC has shown itself to be utterly useless at doing its job, which is to organise and run the election. It is the perogative of the PM to decide on the date of that election within the parameters set down by the Constitution. It is not for the EC to decide when or if an election should or should not be held. A mentally challenged monkey could have foreseen that there would most likely be problems in registering candidates in the South, yet the EC refused to make any provision for that, either deliberately or through stupidity.

As the PDRC don't want elections under any circumstances, and the Dems won't play until Suthep's "reforms" have fiddled the system to ensure that they will win, why on Earth should anybody care less about their views. As it is, YS has made several offers to talks and meetings - even offering to postpone the election - only to be snubbed by Suthep.

So let's go ahead full-steam to Feb 2nd and let the real people of Thailand make their voices heard.

As an aside, so glad to see confirmation from the media that Suthep's farce is beginning to crumble, "Protesters blocked key intersections in the capital for a third straight day, but there was more traffic on the roads, in a possible sign that the attempted "shutdown" was losing momentum."

Actually, the EC is trying very hard to do its job properly but the ex pm pain in the ass refuses to cooperate because even if the world ends she must be in power to amnesty her brother and nothing will stop her from doing that...If that happens and he comes back whitewashed, time to get out of dodge....

Well done, YS, for not giving in to the mob.

Like most senior Civil Servants in Thailand, the EC has shown itself to be utterly useless at doing its job, which is to organise and run the election. It is the perogative of the PM to decide on the date of that election within the parameters set down by the Constitution. It is not for the EC to decide when or if an election should or should not be held. A mentally challenged monkey could have foreseen that there would most likely be problems in registering candidates in the South, yet the EC refused to make any provision for that, either deliberately or through stupidity.

As the PDRC don't want elections under any circumstances, and the Dems won't play until Suthep's "reforms" have fiddled the system to ensure that they will win, why on Earth should anybody care less about their views. As it is, YS has made several offers to talks and meetings - even offering to postpone the election - only to be snubbed by Suthep.

So let's go ahead full-steam to Feb 2nd and let the real people of Thailand make their voices heard.

As an aside, so glad to see confirmation from the media that Suthep's farce is beginning to crumble, "Protesters blocked key intersections in the capital for a third straight day, but there was more traffic on the roads, in a possible sign that the attempted "shutdown" was losing momentum."

Actually, the EC is trying very hard to do its job properly but the ex pm pain in the ass refuses to cooperate because even if the world ends she must be in power to amnesty her brother and nothing will stop her from doing that...If that happens and he comes back whitewashed, time to get out of dodge.

yes then you will see civil war if that is her ultimate aim .well it is not seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Feb 2 elections will go ahead: Yingluck
HATAIKARN TREESUWAN,
ANUPHAN CHANTANA
THE NATION

Says her decision backed by most of those attending multi- party meeting yesterday; urges EC to do its duty

BANGKOK: -- AFTER HOLDING a meeting with representatives from different political parties and officials from agencies related to the election, caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra decided yesterday to go ahead with the February 2 poll.

Insisting that her government had no authority to postpone the vote, she said the Election Commission (EC) had the power to get government agencies to cooperate and ensure the election goes smoothly.

Yingluck, who met with representatives from 37 parties, said the majority of the participants insisted that the election go ahead as scheduled.

"Now that the meeting has learned about problems related to the election, we will try to deal with them and send the resolution to the EC," she said.

The caretaker government invited up to 70 individuals from the EC, political parties, government agencies and political groups, including the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee, to the meeting.

However, the EC was only represented by secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong, while the Democrat Party and the PDRC did not send any representatives.

While General Nipat Thonglek, the permanent secretary of the Defence Ministry, attended the meeting, Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn sent a representative.

This meeting was held one day after Kittipong Kittayarak, permanent secretary of the Justice Ministry, issued a statement saying the election should be postponed and the caretaker government should review its role.

Upon hearing of the meeting on Tuesday, the EC said Yingluck's government should have met with the commission alone instead of turning it into such a big affair. The EC has also invited the government to a meeting today, though caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana said yesterday that the meeting was not confirmed.

Meanwhile, at the government's event, Ekachai Chainuvati, an academic and representative of the Assembly for the Defence of Democracy (AFDD), voiced support for holding the election as scheduled, adding that under the Constitution, the prime minister had no authority to postpone the poll.

He said he believed the EC would appeal to the Constitutional Court to seek a ruling if it is unable to reach an agreement on the election.

"If the prime minister doesn't want to see Thais kill fellow Thais, then she should not decide to issue a new decree to have the election delayed from February 2," Ekachai warned.

Council of State secretary-general Chukiert Ratanachaichan said the council would not issue an opinion on whether to postpone the election, though he added that the royal decree on House dissolution and the call for a new election was in effect. Hence, he said, there was no choice but to hold the election as scheduled.

Puchong, meanwhile, said that though the EC had suggested that the election should be delayed, it was still going ahead with its duty of organising the poll.

He said the commission would ask government agencies, state enterprises and other agencies to support its job both in terms of providing election venues and personnel. The EC requires 140,000 members of staff to organise an election, but lacked personnel in many provinces.

Meanwhile Nipat said his office was ready to help the EC hold the election and even provide the space, officers and equipment if the commission sent over an official request.

Bhokin Bhalakula, a key figure of the ruling Pheu Thai Party who is believed to have met with the EC for secret talks, said yesterday that the commission had to go ahead with the election if it wanted to avoid an apocalyptic situation.

Many leaders of small parties also said yesterday that the EC had no authority to postpone the election, and should carry out its duties.

They also complimented Yingluck for her patience in the face of all this pressure, adding that she had their backing. The atmosphere of meeting at the Air Force Headquarters was not difference once former premier Thaksin Shinawatra called the meeting with small parties to tried to end problem, after EC faced many difficulties with holding the election because of the Democrats boycott.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-16

The atmosphere of meeting at the Air Force Headquarters was not difference once former premier Thaksin Shinawatra called the meeting with small parties to tried to end problem, after EC faced many difficulties with holding the election because of the Democrats boycott.

wot ? blink.png

Having the election as scheduled is simply to avoid breaking the law which is exactly what some wish the Gov to do. If it turns out there has to be another one after and 180 day delay that gives a further 6mths extension and some breathing space for all concerned. This I think would be a good thing

The moment Yingluck puts a foot wrong regarding the law and election rules the vultures will descend. Its not really got anything to do with the conflict, reforms and peace and all that. Yingluck is purely avoiding the traps shes being consistently pushed towards walking into by the likes of the EC the army the dems etc etc.

It really is a cross between a game of chess and musical chairs atm and everyone is petrified of what happens when the music stops

None of this btw helps Thailand

The care-taking government could issue a royal decree.

I don't thin the government can issue a royal decree.

"The Prime Minister said that the amount of two trillion baht would come from both domestic and foreign funding sources. The private sector would also be urged to co-invest in various infrastructure projects under the plan. The Government would issue a royal decree to seek loans for the plan, to be approved by the House of Representatives and the Senate."

PS that PM was Yingluck

if they can issue a royal decree to beg / borrow / steal money ... why can they not issue royal decree to delay the election?

The elections will go on but the rice payments will not.

Hence the imperative necessity of PTP to run the election, effectively unopposed, on the 2nd of February. They are guaranteed a win even if their previous voter base despise them now.

are you for real

whats the use of winning if you not have enough seats to form a government

Where do you guys who write such rubbish come from

I know that, you know that, the rubbish comes from Thaksin/PTP who decided to go on with the trainwreck.

Now boys and girls - let's all gather round, and see the administration playing our favourite game " Let's Be Government ! " The rules are quite clear :

Rule number one : There are no rules ! Isn't that fun ? More fun coming up :

Rule number two : We can make up our own rules ! It gets even better :

Rule number three : We can change our mind whenever we want to !

As we come gradually back to Earth, it is hard to imagine a situation more inane as this from Pheu Thai. But we will try to yet again stress the obvious :

The EC is the sole authority for elections. What they say goes. Period. The Supreme Court has affirmed it. And now the Constitutional Court will likely affirm it as well. The administration says that the EC doesn't have this authority. That's called a constitutional crisis. They also say they don't have the authority themselves. Yet they have already contradicted themselves by proposing a three month election delay to the PDRC. The administration contradicts themselves yet again by stating that a forum they set up has the constitutional authority to make that decision. So Yingluck and Pheu Thai - apparently satisfied with all these contradictions, proclaims the meeting a stellar success. The conclusion of the meeting ? The EC is wrong and we are right. So there.

This would make sense if the administration was indeed playing a child's game. As they are not, this declaration shouts more clearly than any other that this administration has no longer any right to govern.

The caretaker government is inviting for a meeting to solve the election problem,but the EC ignores the meeting.This shows where the EC stands.Constitution says new election has to be scheduled within 60 days.Ec members should be removed from office immediately,same goes with police and army who refuse to arrest a criminal like suthep

The EC recommended to the government. The government has been very vocal in not wanting to do anything about the 2nd of February election. Now they organise a 'meeting' and the result they will continue as 'everyone' recommended to proceed even telling them they cannot postpone. So, don't blame Yingluck. bah.gif

Now boys and girls - let's all gather round, and see the administration playing our favourite game " Let's Be Government ! " The rules are quite clear :

Rule number one : There are no rules ! Isn't that fun ? More fun coming up :

Rule number two : We can make up our own rules ! It gets even better :

Rule number three : We can change our mind whenever we want to !

As we come gradually back to Earth, it is hard to imagine a situation more inane as this from Pheu Thai. But we will try to yet again stress the obvious :

The EC is the sole authority for elections. What they say goes. Period. The Supreme Court has affirmed it. And now the Constitutional Court will likely affirm it as well. The administration says that the EC doesn't have this authority. That's called a constitutional crisis. They also say they don't have the authority themselves. Yet they have already contradicted themselves by proposing a three month election delay to the PDRC. The administration contradicts themselves yet again by stating that a forum they set up has the constitutional authority to make that decision. So Yingluck and Pheu Thai - apparently satisfied with all these contradictions, proclaims the meeting a stellar success. The conclusion of the meeting ? The EC is wrong and we are right. So there.

This would make sense if the administration was indeed playing a child's game. As they are not, this declaration shouts more clearly than any other that this administration has no longer any right to govern.

Genuine question seeking clarification as you seem to know to know a lot about the constitution. Please feel free to correct any of my points below if incorrect.

As I understand it, YL dissolved parliament and scheduled new elections for 02 Feb. This was given Royal approval and everything up to this point is within the law.

The EC is set up to oversee the election, to ensure that it is fairly conducted.

Because of the problems in the South preventing some candidates from registering, the EC is of the view that any elections will be nullified due to the lack of a quorum. They therefore suggest postponing it.

However, YL says that the Govt has no authority to postpone the poll - true or false?

She also said that the EC has no authority to postpone the poll - true or false?

Under what circumstances can either the Govt or the EC postpone the poll?

Luckily with the new Constitution the lack of quorum now means :

The caretaker government stay in power, as caretakers.

The EC must run by-elections, as many as needed and as many times as needed, until all seats are filled.

That is why PTP is saying go ahead with the election and anyone who says the lack of MP's is a problem is obviously not well versed with the by-election rules of the latest Thai Constitution,

Of course, its my opinion

If what you are saying it true, then it's checkmate already. I see no signs of a people's revolution in effect. What I see is lots of people turning up for a free concert.

p/s: the current singer just shouted in English, "the reason we are here is because of the b****y government" and the crowd cheered. I seriously doubt however than more than 10% understood what he just shouted. Mob mentality if ever there was one.

The protestor numbers are dwindling fast. Its like Songkran, its fun for a few days but then its boring.

Only the hardcore (and according to many paid for) that remain.

They might get a little boost at the weekend but there will be low numbers again most of the time.

And Suthep is clever, by having no colour shirts its impossible to see in a photo who are real protestors and who are just there watching, taking selfies, getting free food and drinks and entertainment. So the photos never actually show the real level of real protestors.

Another thing to do is to watch the mobile protests. Now, if I were a clever protest leader I would have a mobile mob who move around each location in advance, so the same people are cheering me when I arrive at Asoke, then the same people have moved and are cheering me when I arrive at Ploenchit and so on. This will give great photo ops of lots of cheering supporters at every place I go, but of course, a large amount are just the same people moving around in advance.

The protests are basically over and its now to elections, and then many by-elections until all seats are filled. And as YL said, if you do not like PTP then vote for the smaller opposition parties, or vote "no-vote".

I think YL will be caretaker PM for at least 6 months, maybe longer, until the EC has run countless by-elections to get 95% seats filled. It could even be that YL will be caretaker PM for 12 months or more - but the election process is the election process and the Constitution is the Constitution.

After campaigning to protect the Constitution so they say, Suthep and the Democrats have absolutely no right to call for UN-Constitutional things now. So the election proceeds and the Democrats are now out for a few years and other smaller opposition parties have the chance.

In my opinion all of that, of course.

• Like 1

Thats realy childish, the planed elecktions on 2. February never pass the rule of law. The abnormalitys happen already are enough that the EC normaly must stop for now and give a clear statement, that the election is aborted. Everything else is burning money.

And, what parties on the list, PTP and opportunists, so what people can choose? Taksin or Taksin...clap2.gif